Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Another Book Thread

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    When I first read Cussler I was impressed but I find the quality spotty- some great, others meh and a few poorly written. Once I found James Rollins he made Cussler seem an amateur. Much deeper plot, character development and detail.
    Are you talking about the Sigma Force novels or his stand alones? I've read the first 2 of the Sigma Force books, I rated them 3 stars so I didn't hate them but it's been a while since I read them. I do have book 6 or 7 sitting on my bookshelf.
    Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Originally posted by Probert View Post
      Are you talking about the Sigma Force novels or his stand alones? I've read the first 2 of the Sigma Force books, I rated them 3 stars so I didn't hate them but it's been a while since I read them. I do have book 6 or 7 sitting on my bookshelf.
      I have read them all. I liked the ones that were history based. He did some that were vampire based that were downright weird but entertaining

Comment

The Name of the Wind is a great fantasy novel. The sequel is very good. Did not read the spin off.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
          Wendell Berry is a little under most people's radar but might be considered among the best during that time, though he's not at all like Vonnegut. He's a bit old school and confines his fiction to a place and time, but his prose is often elegant in a most simple way. The opening pages of The Memory of Old Jack are quietly masterful.
          One thing about writing: it is strictly intimate between writer and reader. I'd honestly put Ross MacDonald among the best American writers of the 20th century and most people would scoff at that. To me he's even better than Raymond Chandler, not just as a detective fiction writer but as a writer, full stop. Likewise I'd include Rex Stout among them.

If a writer reaches you then that writer is significant.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Just read "The Last Season" by Roy Macgregor. Very very good hockey novel.
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Recent Reads

Twisted (Petra Connor #2) by Jonathan Kellerman Have read several of the Delaware novels where Petra makes an appearance but had not read the previous stand alone. A pretty good book where Petra tries to find who shot several teenagers at a club. She also teams up with a young intern who has a theory that someone is killing people on a specific date. Good read.

Inside Delta Force: The Story of America's Elite Counterterrorist Unit by Eric L. Haney Roughly the 1st half of this book deals with Haney’s selection and training when he gets into the unit. This was okay not that great. The second half where he talks about some of their missions, invasion of Grenada and the attempt to rescue the hostages in Iran is much better.

Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar by Simon Sebag Montefiore A very good novel which tells the story of Josef Stalin thru the people around him. Great analysis into the purges and the people who surrounded him over the years, which changes frequently. Who is in favor who is out of favor who goes to jail who is show. When you read about the number of commanders and soldiers who were imprisoned or killed you wonder how the Red Army ever beat the Nazis.

Six Years by Harlan Coben This book follows a man who sees the obituary for a long lost love. When he goes to the funeral to offer his condolences he finds him married to another woman with children. As he seeks to find her he finds himself threatened and pursued on both side. Okay read.

Dead Even by Brad Meltzer a so so effort. This book finds a wife prosecuting and a husband defending a man accused of a crime. They are each threatened to win their case by any means.
              Black and Blue (Detective Harriet Blue 0.5) by James Patterson (Goodreads Author) and Candice Fox This is book 0.5 of the Harriet Blue series which I have enjoyed. This finds her investigating a body that has washed up on shore. Originally she thinks it is connected to a serial killer investigation and tries to get added to the task force. Teamed with a “toxic” detective she tries to find the killer and prevent another murder. This books ends right at the beginning of book 1.

After the End (Owen Taylor #2) by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Brendan DuBois The second of the Owen Taylor books picks up right at the end of the first book. He finds himself recruited by a former co-worker to take on a job helping a former teammate. Tasked with taking on a media celebrity he must penetrate the cocoon that surrounds him.

The Russia Hoax: The Illicit Scheme to Clear Hillary Clinton and Frame Donald Trump
              by Gregg Jarrett This book analyzes the Hillary Clinton email scandal along with the start and development of the Russian scandal along with an analysis of all the major players, Comey, Clinton, Trump, Shrok, Page and MCcabe. Some of the points and the storyline are telling but he spends way too much time going into the weeds with legalese. Almost every analysis of point included what crimes were/might have been committed along with the penal statue and the possible sentence.

Let's Play Make-Believe by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), James O. Born An interesting bookshots tale of a woman going thru a divorce and the new man in her life.

The House Husband by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Duane Swierczynski An interesting bookshots tale where a police detective returning from maternity leave is investigating a family annihilator.

Evidence (Alex Delaware #24) by Jonathan Kellerman This Alex Delaware novel finds him and Milo investigating the murders of 2 people who are found in an abandoned house. As they investigate they find themselves looking into a complicated intricate murder case.

Black Order (Sigma Force #3) by James Rollins A pretty good Sigma force novel finds different part of the team operating in the Himalaya’s, South Africa and Europe trying to stop Neo Nazi’s from unleashing a WWII technology on the world.

Exposed (Rosato & DiNunzio #5) by Lisa Scottoline Mary and Bennie find themselves at odds when one of Mary’s friends wants to hire her to sue one of Bennie’s long time clients. But when Mary’s client is charged with murder it moves from a civil case to a criminal case and she must try to prove his innocence. I thought this got wrapped up way to early and could have been fleshed out more.

The Deliveryman (Lincoln Rhyme #11.5) by Jeffery Deaver This book finds Lincoln and Amelia trying to find out who murdered a deliveryman on his rounds in front of his 8 year old son.

The Guy Who Died Twice (Detective D.D. Warren #9.5) by Lisa Gardner This DD Warren story finds her investigating the murder of a man who earlier had come to them and said he was dead and then was murdered after being sent home.
              Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Got the Libby app and have been listening as I walk. Read Deep Storm by Lincoln Childs- pertty good. Am now 'reading' The Art Thief by Noah Charney. Just started but interesting so far.

I know some of you 'borrow books'. So far I have only borrowed what is available. Most of them are many hours long. There are a few books I would like to put on hold but I am not sure of the logistics of 'reading' one and then having another one come available. I am afraid I would not be able to finish them both. Anyone have any techniques for how to finagle this? I don't have a commute and usually listen maybe an hour or a tiny bit more a day.

Comment

Not quite finished with it yet, but Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman is very entertaining. Very funny and sad, and written in a way that makes you want to read more.

Also, I thought I wouldn't like audio books, but I don't mind them too much. Not that I'll keep listening after I'm able to read again, but it isn't too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                    Also, I thought I wouldn't like audio books, but I don't mind them too much.
                    They're a godsend if you have a long commute. They really come down to the voice talent, though. A great reader can't help a bad book but a poor reader can destroy a great one.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      They're a godsend if you have a long commute. They really come down to the voice talent, though. A great reader can't help a bad book but a poor reader can destroy a great one.
                      I just downloaded a free Audible original, The Home Front: Life in America During WWII, narrated by Martin Sheen. His narration is intercut with voices from people who were living during that time. The story is regarding the home life, and what was happening here rather than on the warfronts.

ETA: I'm somewhat excited for it, but wary of it because it's sold not as a book first, but an audio story told in book format.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                        Got the Libby app and have been listening as I walk. Read Deep Storm by Lincoln Childs- pertty good. Am now 'reading' The Art Thief by Noah Charney. Just started but interesting so far.

I know some of you 'borrow books'. So far I have only borrowed what is available. Most of them are many hours long. There are a few books I would like to put on hold but I am not sure of the logistics of 'reading' one and then having another one come available. I am afraid I would not be able to finish them both. Anyone have any techniques for how to finagle this? I don't have a commute and usually listen maybe an hour or a tiny bit more a day.
                        Really enjoyed the Art Thief. It was packed full of little historical bits and factoids about the Art world.

Comment

I'd cite "Dubliners" again, which reads as an essential treatise via the human existence.

Lately, it's been about Strout and Hruf.

Kinda the same deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            I'd cite "Dubliners" again, which reads as an essential treatise via the human existence.
                            Let's call it the essential treatise concerning human existence not written by a Russian. Dubliners is the wonderful undergrad honors course, Brothers Karamazov is the soul deconstructing and reconstructing graduate seminar. Anna Karenina and Sportsman's Sketches said hi, too. :-)
                            Last edited by Kepler; 10-02-2019, 01:20 PM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              Strout and Hruf.
                              New phone, who dis?
                              Cornell University

Comment

Tattooist of Auschwitz - didn't realize until it was done that it was based on a true story. Good story, but the editing for the audio book was terrible. One of the CDs had the main character's name dubbed in later, and it was obvious. Every edit and dub sounded like two different people.

Comment

Working...
                                X