Another Book Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Book Thread

Hey, it's a new book thread, since the old one closed.

Goodreads had a question on their site that generated some heated responses - what is one book you hated, but everyone else loved?

Was surprised at the amount of hate for Catcher in the Rye. There was also a lot of Fifty Shades mentioned (never read them).

My answer - Eat Pray Love, and anything by Jane Austen.

I'm sure I could come up with more.

It was also interesting to see people mention books I loved (who hates To Kill a Mockingbird??? )
    Last edited by jen; 07-06-2018, 07:28 AM.

Re: Another Book Thread

Recent reads -

A Season in the Sun: The Rise of Mickey Mantle - Randy Roberts - this was kind of dry. About Mantle's 1956 Triple Crown season, with a little bit about earlier and later parts of his career (a lot about how fans did not embrace him until that season). One tidbit I found entertaining - he and Ted Williams were up for the batting title, so there was a bit about Williams. A catcher was complaining to the umpire about balls and strikes when Williams was batting, and the umpire told him "Mr. Williams will let you know when your pitcher throws a strike".

The Milk Lady of Bangalore: An Unexpected Adventure - Shoba Narayan - this was interesting, and a quick read. A native Indian moves from NYC back to India, and connects with a milk seller. There's a lot about cows and India's relationship with cows. Lots of cows. Many kinds of cows. It was an entertaining read.

Little Fires Everywhere - Celeste Ng - this book was the top rated book on Goodreads in 2017. Interesting, and some memorable characters. A "moral dilemma" kind of book about adoption and who has the right to raise a child (and why). May make you hate suburbia (if you didn't already).

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post

Goodreads had a question on their site that generated some heated responses - what is one book you hated, but everyone else loved?

Was surprised at the amount of hate for Catcher in the Rye. There was also a lot of Fifty Shades mentioned (never read them).

It was also interesting to see people mention books I loved (who hates To Kill a Mockingbird??? )
      Charles Dickens anything
      Things Fall Apart
      Ordinary People
      Most other high school required reads

The only real reads that captured my mind were John Donne in high school and political philosophy in college. Post-college it has mainly been fiction novels.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Charles Dickens anything
        Things Fall Apart
        Ordinary People
        Most other high school required reads

The only real reads that captured my mind were John Donne in high school and political philosophy in college. Post-college it has mainly been fiction novels.
        I don’t like dickens either with one exception- tale of two cities. And I hated the first 100 pages. Probably the first time I came to love a book after loathing the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
          I don’t like dickens either with one exception- tale of two cities. And I hated the first 100 pages. Probably the first time I came to love a book after loathing the beginning.
          Same. Hated all other Dickens, but loved Tale of Two Cities - one of my favorites. Great Expectations still gives me nightmares.

Comment

Ender's Game.

Comment

The Great Gatsby. I hated every last character in that book. And yes, I understood its message.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The President Is Missing, James Patterson and Bill Clinton.

Lady friend says it's really good. She couldn't put it down.
                A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Bad Blood - About Theranos, writtien the WSJ writer who broke the story. Crazy story. And I like the mention of all of the Palo Alto / Mountain View spots.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                  iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                  gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                  Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                  Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                  TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                  DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

John Irving books.

My long time favorite was The World According to Garp. Then my wife (SWMBO) had me read A Prayer for Owen Meanie - wow what a great novel. Anybody have any other favorites?
                    Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Did they differentiate between books that had great critical acclaim and books that were massive bestsellers?

To me those are two separate categories, a lot of books that are massive bestsellers like 50 Shades of Gray are loathed by the critics. While some greatest books of all time, per critics weren't huge hits or bestsellers at the time and get read now because students have to read them.

For me under the Critically acclaimed two stand out Ulysses and The Great Gatsby. I like Shakespeare and Dickens and love the Iliad and the Odyssey, which I am sure were high on the list.

For the huge bestseller, movie, popular buzz Cold Mountain would probably be at the top of my list, probably partially because I thought it would be more of a Civil War book than a romance novel. Another one would be Dutch Edmund Morris's biography of Ronald Reagan, I have loved his Theodore Roosevelt trilogy but this one was complete dreck.
                      Last edited by Probert; 07-14-2018, 07:33 AM.
                      Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

My recent reads

15 Seconds by Andrew Gross Thought this book had a very similar plot line to No way back. A seemingly innocuous event, in this case a traffic stop and then a shocking event and our hero finds himself on the run being hunted by killers at every turn. He struggles mightily to prove his innocence and is helped by some unlikely sources. It was okay but not that great of a read.

Agent in Place (Gray Man #7) by Mark Greaney I realized as I started this that I had missed a Gray Man novel but luckily that didn’t really effect my reading of this one. Set around modern events he is hired by the Syrian Free Army to kidnap a woman who can embarrass the regime. He then ends up inside Syria confronting perhaps the most dangerous job of his career. Wasn’t particularly crazy about the ending but a great read.

The Gray Ghost (Fargo Adventure #10) by Clive Cussler, Robin Burcell This Fargo novel had an interesting concept. Recruited by a long lost relative to investigate the disappearance of their high value Rolls Royce the book at various times goes back to the original investigation when the car was stolen in the early 1900’s. The interesting fact the investigator was Isaac Bell, another of Cussler’s heroes. It was a decent read, following the typical Cussler format. I wonder if an Isaac Bell book will be coming out about the older case or if this was it.

The 17th Suspect (Women's Murder Club #17) by James Patterson Maxine Paetro 17 books into the Women’s Murder Club. Two cases on track this book Yuki is prosecuting a case where a high profile female is being charged with rape and Linsey is investigating a spree killer who is murdering the cities homeless. As I feel the case in most Patterson novels each of the two cases is truncated and not developed as much to fit within the book. I like that Yuki takes the lead in the book since she is typically one of the second bananas in the club, along with Claire. I also found the numerous mentions of Lindsey’s father, who I remember only mentioned occasionally in previous books, especially the recent one, to possibly be a premonition that he is going to come back into her life. Ok read.

The Comeback: Greg LeMond, the True King of American Cycling, and a Legendary Tour de France
                        by Daniel de Visé There were parts about this book that I enjoyed and parts that I did not like. I liked the description and tales of both Lemond and Laurent Fignon’s early life and how they got involved in cycling. Their early careers with Renault and the break that led Lemond to join La Vie Claire and Lemonds famous rivalry with Bernard Hinault, pretty much told completely from Lemond’s point of view. The things I dislike seems in some cases to be a total lack of research on the author’s part, a little known Belgian rider tested positive, a French rider did this, a former teammate of Hinault offered to do this. Why weren’t these people named? Did the author know them but they weren’t in the book for fear of a lawsuit since the only “proof” is what he was told by Lemond? Or does the author just assume the reader doesn’t care to know the name of the person. The book also confirms why I never was a big fan of Lemond he only seemed to get up for 2 races in his career, the Tour de France and the World Championship. He did have a couple of other decent performances, Tour De Pont, 1 Giro and 1 Vuelta. It’s funny because I remember in recent years he has criticized other cyclists for focusing solely on the Tour de France. In addition whenever he didn’t win it always seemed to be someone else’s fault, his team, officials, other riders, dopers etc. he never failed to prepare properly or used an incorrect strategy.

Final Target (Jonathan Grave #9) by John Gilstrap Another good Jonathan Graves book where he and Boxers are rescuing a captured DEA agent in Mexico. Left out to dry by the Feds they are forced their way thru hostile cartel. The escape is complicated when they pick up a bunch of orphans along the way. Good read.

The Black Hand: The Bloody Rise and Redemption of "Boxer" Enriquez, a Mexican Mob Killer by Chris Blatchford A very good biography of a former carnal in the Mexican Mafia. This book chronicles the rise of the Mexican Mafia within the California prison system. It then brings us to Boxer Enriquez and his early criminal career and his rise in the Mexican Mafia. Tells of the internal politics, their power plays on the street and the other inner workings of the gang leading up to him quitting and turning states evidence.

Starless Night (Legacy of the Drow #2) by R.A. Salvatore This Drizzt novel finds him abandoning Mithril Hall and going back to Mezzobean to confront Drow who are after him. Has some internal Drow politics as they are planning on uniting the various clans to invade Mithril Hall. A lot of action and mainly just Drizzt and Cati Brie who goes after Drizzt as he confronts some old adversaries and some new ones as well.

The Nowhere Man (Orphan X #2) by Gregg Hurwitz Good second effort for Orphan X who finds himself captured and must fight for his life against the crew holding him hostage.

The Color of Law (Scott Fenney #1) by Mark Gimenez I really enjoyed this book. Star lawyer A. Scott Fenney grew up poor but was a football star and went to the right schools and now is living the high life. Until he is asked by a federal judge to defend a prostitute accused on killing a Presidential candidates son and finds out that much of what he has earned in life is fleeting as he struggles to do what is right.

A Dangerous Fortune by Ken Follett Generally my preference is for Follett’s World War 2 novel but this book about a banking family set in England in the 1800’s was excellent. It traces the family and their black sheep Hugh and his cousin Edward from their early adolescence to later in life. An excellent plot and storyline with murders and high suspense finance and politics.

The Ark (Tyler Locke #1) by Boyd Morrison I had read several of the books that Morrison had co-authored with Clive Cussler so decided to give one of his stand alone books a try. This was an interesting story about the hunt for Noah’s Ark and the plague that it may unleash on the world. His Hero Tyler Locke dashes in and out of trouble with young archaeologist Dilara Kenner as they struggle to save the world.
                        Last edited by Probert; 07-21-2018, 07:41 PM.
                        Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Catcher in the Rye was awful. I tried and couldnt make it more than a few pages. Only book worse I read in HS was Grapes of Wrath.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Most Steinbeck is a tough slog. He always wrote about blue collar people struggling to survive. Grapes was OK. I think his short stories are a bit more approachable.

Catcher is bad once you turn 20. The "Nine Stories" collection is Salinger at his best, and even it is hit-or-miss.
                            Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 07-21-2018, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              The Great Gatsby. I hated every last character in that book. And yes, I understood its message.
                              You hated the characters; how do you rate the book?

Comment

Working...
                              X