USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Attempting the Les Halles pomme frites recipe tonight.

Holy fck when did peanut oil get so expensive?!

Comment

Well, no disasters. My counter-top fryer still works - it had been almost 10 years since I last used it, and I had to clean it first. Of course, the oil was too new to give the potatoes a good browning, so even though I followed the two-step method and they were well-crisped, they came out unevenly colored.

Also, if I start making these monthly, I'll need to invest in a mandoline to make sure they are uniformly-sized. Some fries were a bit smaller/more well-done than others.

Comment

Screw the fryer. Just get a thermometer for your Dutch oven. If you don’t have a Dutch oven, get one.

Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Screw the fryer. Just get a thermometer for your Dutch oven. If you don’t have a Dutch oven, get one.

Probably true. It always worked for Alton, anyway.

Comment

Tried Alison Roman’s salted chocolate chunk shortbread cookies.

Not impressed.

Edit: oh, and if you do try them, for the love of god use parchment paper. I used my usual non-stick cookie sheets and half were irreparably stuck to the sheet. Never had anything stick to them before.

The rest were like Fabrege eggs they were so crumbly. Which I could have gotten around. Transporting them to work would have been an impossibility. I know shortbread should be crumbly but this was just off. I went back and forth through the recipe wondering if I missed something. I know I didn’t. I might try doing them again with a different chill than what was in the recipe. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

the flavor was decent. Which is why I would like to try them again. But I would swap half unsalted butter.
            Last edited by dxmnkd316; 08-08-2018, 07:31 AM.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Not impressed.

Edit: oh, and if you do try them, for the love of god use parchment paper. I used my usual non-stick cookie sheets and half were irreparably stuck to the sheet. Never had anything stick to them before.

The rest were like Fabrege eggs they were so crumbly. Which I could have gotten around. Transporting them to work would have been an impossibility. I know shortbread should be crumbly but this was just off. I went back and forth through the recipe wondering if I missed something. I know I didn’t. I might try doing them again with a different chill than what was in the recipe. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

the flavor was decent. Which is why I would like to try them again. But I would swap half unsalted butter.
              This is the recipe I use for salted chocolate chunk cookies (I use half milk chocolate and half semi sweet chunks). https://smittenkitchen.com/2015/04/salted-chocolate-chunk-cookies/

I think they're amazing and they've gone over well the 2 dozen times I've made them. I just use a silpat to keep them from sticking.

Comment

Very similar. But the recipe I used omitted the egg (save for a wash on the edge) and uses a smaller fraction of brown sugar. Becuase they were shortbread of couse
                Code:

Comment

Not impressed.

did you weigh the ingredients or go by volume? what it sounds like is too much flour/not enough butter (but the recipe doesn't read that way).
                  Last edited by jen; 08-09-2018, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Good idea, but If anything I would say I went light on the flour. I generally don’t sift so I shake the flour canister before using out of habit.

She didn’t provide weights in the recipe so I had to use volume.
                    Code:

Comment

A new option for entre jalapeño poppers on a grill

Ingredients (listed per popper):
                      Fresh jalapeño
                      7-8oz chicken breast, deboned
                      4 strips bacon
                      Cream cheese (I used Philadelphia Cream Cheese jalapeño flavor)
                      3-4 toothpicks
                      No other seasoning is needed, but feel free to go hog wild.

Cooking Instructions:
                      1) Remove the stem from the pepper. Cut the jalapeño in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and ribs/core
                      2) Fill the jalapeño with the cream cheese
                      3) Flatten the chicken breast with a meat hammer/tenderizing mallet.
                      4) Put the jalapeño halves together, wrap the chicken breast around the now reassembled jalapeño.
                      5) Wrap the bacon around the outside of the chicken breast, widthwise.
                      6) Insert the toothpicks to hold shape.
                      7) Using indirect heat on the grill, cook the popper for 15-25 minutes, depending upon the heat of the grill.
                      8) After the chicken is fully cooked with the indirect heat, transfer the popper to direct heat, rotating every so often to crisp the bacon wrap.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I have no idea if there’s a god.

But after eating the meatloaf at Zella’s in Hutchinson, MN I might be convinced.
                        Code:

Comment

Well, I finally had A5 Wagyu - skirt skeat. One of the final, I guess.

Comment

Final?
                            Code:

Comment

Godd@mn autocorrect. Meant "best".

It was very good. Much more "rich" than regular skirt steak, but also much cheaper than the fillet, which would've set me back about $200. The skirt was $60.

Comment

Ctrl + Alt + Del-icious. It's a waffle iron in the shape of a QWERTY.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X