No announcement yet.

USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Holy ****ing ****. I want to make it but don’t want to read that tome written for every step.
    War and Peace of Mac and Cheese.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Holy ****ing ****. I want to make it but don’t want to read that tome written for every step.
      Ignore the tome (except for a few key parts). You're not going to believe me, but I swear this woman is way cooler/less annoying on Twitter.

Comment

So, you are what you eat, right?
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I made sugar cookies last night and added the new unicorn chips from Nestle. They were good.

And because I am bored, I also made banana chocolate muffins with plain M&Ms. That CAN be a bread if you want it to be. Brought em today to a picnic... they went over quite well.

And tomorrow, because I have bananas that are ripe AF, I might just make a simple banana bread with walnuts and cranberries. I will also do a pumpkin bread with walnuts and cranberries... now that I'm allowed to stand up, I can do more in the kitchen.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

projects:

1. Butternut squash lasagna with thinly sliced butternut squash as the "noodles." Anne Burrell's recipe originally calls for a pork ragu, but I could probably do ground turkey or something.

2. Grown up pizza. I love Margherita pizza, but I think I'll do that and add thinly sliced prosciutto. Midici Pizza charges $15 for that pizza. I can do it for less. I also know I can do artichoke pizza, portobello mushroom pizza, loaded baked potato pizza.... I'll even do a sweet potato and Brussels sprouts pizza.

3. Hand-kneaded pizza dough. I did this all the time when I lived in Muskegon.

4. Experiment with curries.

5. It is soup and chili season... make more of those! Make a spicy chili for me, and something more mild for my dad.

6. Take a chance and deep fry some things. I don't even need a fancy fryer. I just need a deep pan and a thermometer. Sometimes, to the tune of "Born to be Wild," I sing "BORN TO EAT FRIED FOOD!"

7. Savory French toast. This is French toast, but without the cinnamon and sugar. I plan on serving with a breakfast meat and eggs.

8. More ways to stuff Portobello mushrooms. I did a lacto vegetarian stuffed mushroom once with ricotta, spinach, and kalamata olives, and I also did one with ground turkey.

9. And finally, a simple pasta. A simple garlic, olive oil, and herbs pasta.
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Curries are almost impossible to **** up. Even the bad ones my GF and I made turn out good.

Seriously, go to Trader Joe’s if you have one and get the yellow curry sauce. Add veggies, chicken, cashews. Soooo good.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Curries are almost impossible to **** up. Even the bad ones my GF and I made turn out good.

Seriously, go to Trader Joe’s if you have one and get the yellow curry sauce. Add veggies, chicken, cashews. Soooo good.
                I'm not worried about the curries. The one project on that list I am worried about the most is the simple pasta with garlic, olive oil, and herbs. Sounds simple in theory, but the simplest things are the easiest to screw up.

Comment

No way. That’s easy.

Stringy pasta was made for oil and butter sauces. Use one of them. I still like bow tie pasta for it though.

Sauce is easy. Per serving maybe 1/2 Tbsp butter and 1/2 Tbsp olive oil. Or up either. Put in sauté pan with smashed garlic. Cook oil and butter with garlic and salt for like 15 mins on low. Just enough to melt it and let it infuse. Toss with pasta.

Finish with freshly grated Parmesan, oregano, and julienned basil. Fresh ground pepper to top.

Honestly, I don’t hate dried herbs here either. I go for a 2:1 basilregano ratio.
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I also wouldn't hesitate to try doing a sage/brown butter sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      I also wouldn't hesitate to try doing a sage/brown butter sauce.
                      I'll do that.

Surgery prevented me from cooking. Feels good to be back in the kitchen, even if I have to bring a chair and sit down while everything simmers.

Comment

Homemade peanut butter cups. Won't get to it before Halloween, but will do it for Christmas.

Comment

Fall 2019 Baking Projects

1. Spiced biscotti. Not with hot sauce... I'm thinking a basic biscotti dough with notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and maybe some ground clove.
                          2. Double chocolate biscotti. Double chocolate anything is good. Double chocolate to go with one's afternoon coffee? Better.
                          3. Mint dark chocolate cookies. Think of a chocolate chip cookie, but with mint extract and dark chocolate chips.
                          4. A chocolate sheet cake with chocolate bourbon ganache frosting and packed with chocolate chips.
                          (why am I not 400 lbs at this point?)
                          5. One time, I made a cayenne chocolate cookie. I'll do that again! And oh, shut up, it wasn't that hot.
                          6. Coffee cake! Fun fact: coffee cake does not contain any actual coffee.
                          7. Something with an espresso/coffee flavor. Cookie? Cake? Something!
                          8. Homemade crackers, especially a whole grain cracker.
                          9. Variations on oatmeal cookies. Oatmeal cranberry was a hit. I could do oatmeal cherry and be selective on who I give those to. But I don't do oatmeal raisin. Maybe oatmeal chocolate chip?
                          10. Parmesan-black pepper biscuits. I need a pastry cutter, though.

Oh, there's more. There's always more in mind. But let me start there!

Comment

I have to start thinking about Thanksgiving too:

Roast chicken with Herbs du Provence and citrus
                            Mashed potatoes with garlic and cheese
                            Herbed dressing
                            Brioche or Parker House rolls (I will make)
                            Cheese plate with homemade rosemary-sea salt crackers
                            Rosé for me
                            French apple tart
                            Maybe French vanilla ice cream to go with the tart

And on a side note, I plan on bringing people over this Thanksgiving. My family pretty much abandoned me, so bring the chosen family.

Comment

Currently shopping for a new chef's knife. I've never spent the "big" bucks, but I now have the means to do so. German? Japanese? Some boutique American knifemaker?

A couple years ago on a ski trip to Jackson Hole I wandered into a boutique knifemaker's shop, and their stuff was freakin' gorgeous and felt good (I got to handle a bunch of their inventory). I still know the brand. However, I have a hard time justifying $300+ for one knife.

Based on reviews, descriptions, and stats, I'd probably go for one of the Japanese knives like Global (I like a lighter-feeling knife), except for the fact that they have a fragile reputation and I'm a bit of a klutz.

Comment

Honestly, find one that fits your hand, feels balanced, and has a solid handle. The older I get the more I think even middle of the road knives are fine as long as you get them actually sharpened professionally you’d be fine.

Are you for sure going with a chef? I’m assuming you’ve used santokus.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X