No announcement yet.

USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Originally posted by jen View Post
    All done baking and mailed the cookies out. 14 kinds, around 730 cookies (about half of what I've done lately). Opinions on the new ones -

Cranberry chai swirls - a lot of the cranberry jam oozed out when I rolled them. dough was not easy to handle. Also, I didn't read the recipe closely and initially bought dried cranberries instead of fresh. So now I have a crapload of dried cranberries to use.

Butter Rum cookies - nothing special. still on the lookout for a good butter rum cookie. So far, the best ones have been the rollout ones I did a few years ago. But I am anti-rollout for another 7 years or so.

Toffee snowballs - these were really good and pretty easy. powdered sugar is such a mess, though.

Still thinking about what to bake for family gifts, if anything.
    For your dried cranberries, I like these.
    Just simple drop cookies, but quite tasty.
    I was told there would be no math...

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
      Have anyone here tried one of the meal kit delivery services (like Helo fresh)? I'm trying to come up with present ideas for husband, and I think something like that might be fun. Any recommendations?
      I thought hello fresh was bad.
      If you’re in Midwest you could be in delivery area of power plate meals- prepared food, pretty decent

Comment

All done baking and mailed the cookies out. 14 kinds, around 730 cookies (about half of what I've done lately). Opinions on the new ones -

Cranberry chai swirls - a lot of the cranberry jam oozed out when I rolled them. dough was not easy to handle. Also, I didn't read the recipe closely and initially bought dried cranberries instead of fresh. So now I have a crapload of dried cranberries to use.

Butter Rum cookies - nothing special. still on the lookout for a good butter rum cookie. So far, the best ones have been the rollout ones I did a few years ago. But I am anti-rollout for another 7 years or so.

Toffee snowballs - these were really good and pretty easy. powdered sugar is such a mess, though.

Still thinking about what to bake for family gifts, if anything.
        Those look yummy

I have only baked one kind so far (>600 Pepparkakor). I am SO far behind.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
          Have anyone here tried one of the meal kit delivery services (like Helo fresh)? I'm trying to come up with present ideas for husband, and I think something like that might be fun. Any recommendations?
          I found Blue Apron still took too much time. They are also apparently a terrible employer if that matters to you.

The solution is obviously to have a thruple with one stay at home spouse.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

All done baking and mailed the cookies out. 14 kinds, around 730 cookies (about half of what I've done lately). Opinions on the new ones - .
            If you Fedex me some I'll give you my opinion
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              I do Zuchinni "noodles" on mandolin all the time.
              Zucchini is not my favorite vegetable. I am tempted to make a "lasagna" with sweet potatoes...
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

CHristmas baking continues. Up to 1410 cookies and I am still baking. We give cookies as gifts.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                  CHristmas baking continues. Up to 1410 cookies and I am still baking. We give cookies as gifts.
                  And not one of those 1,410 cookies are headed my way.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

King Arthur Gluten Free chocolate cake might be better th a the original.

Dam. This stuff is GOOD.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Oh. But sub out 1/2 a cup of water for Kahlua.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                        Zucchini is not my favorite vegetable. ...
                        Really takes on the flavor of the meat sauce but makes it watery? Someday I'm going to salt the "noodles" in a colander and then build the dish.
                        Last edited by walrus; 12-18-2019, 04:36 AM.
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Anyone baked with maple sugar before? I have a small bag of it that I want to use and when I try to find a recipe they are all for syrup or maple flavoring (blech!!)

Comment

Anyone baked with maple sugar before? I have a small bag of it that I want to use and when I try to find a recipe they are all for syrup or maple flavoring (blech!!)
                            I've used it when in Canada (surprise!). When using it, you definitely get that hint of maple in the taste.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              I've used it when in Canada (surprise!). When using it, you definitely get that hint of maple in the taste.
                              I was trying to find a cookie recipe to have maple pecan. Any thoughts? I was thinking of doing a sugar recipe and using that instead

Comment

I substitute it for part of brown sugar sometimes. I haven't noticed that strong of a maple flavor, though (but I guess I do that in recipes that already have maple, so who knows?)

Comment

Working...
                                X