No announcement yet.

USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Also today, because I REALLY felt like spending money, I picked up a semi-boneless leg of lamb. Do I know what I'm going to do with it? Absolutely not. Am I going to consult Joy of Cooking and Fannie Farmer first? YES.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Tomorrow’s pork butts finished a little later than I had hoped. (Smoke today, eat tomorrow, don’t need to worry about waiting on a stubborn butt through the stall. Case in point, these ****ers.)

Anyways, by the time they finished, the bark was oversmoked and had to be thrown.

Everything else inside was quite tasty. Can’t wait for it tomorrow.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Found out what to do with the leg of lamb: oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary, then roast it at 350 for an hour.

Also, last night, I had an idea for Nutella bread. The batter tasted great, but 53 minutes in the oven wasn't enough. Center was not done all the way through. Thinking to try 60-65 minutes and see how it works.

But at least the pizza dough last night was a success, and I plan on making pizza tonight. Just not sure what kind of pizza.
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Tomorrow’s pork butts finished a little later than I had hoped. (Smoke today, eat tomorrow, don’t need to worry about waiting on a stubborn butt through the stall. Case in point, these ****ers.)

Anyways, by the time they finished, the bark was oversmoked and had to be thrown.

Everything else inside was quite tasty. Can’t wait for it tomorrow.
          Wrap it in tin foil before the bark is ruined
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Wrap it in tin foil before the bark is ruined
            Yep. I did a number of things differently.

Wet wood, longer smoke, higher temp.

I thought the first two would fix the perceived lack of deep smoke flavor I felt was lacking compared to real proprietors of BBQ. I’m now thinking it’s a combination of the wood I’m using. Going with 100% hickory next time. I’ve typically gone heavy on hickory but finished with apple and cherry.

I figured the third would help punch through the stall faster. It did. But I think the Texas crutch becomes a necessity then. Protects the bark, exactly like you said. I really don’t care so much about bark texture as long as it’s good for flavor later.

Now, the one thing I also need to fix is my salt content. My rub has always been a little lighter on salt relative to most rubs. Works fine for thinner cuts like ribs. But butt requires more. I’m also wondering if a brine isn’t called for. I might go that route next time.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Been wanting new knives for awhile, and couldn't decide between German or Japanese steel. I compromised and ordered both.

Comment

Doesn’t say if it’s dishwasher safe
                Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Doesn’t say if it’s dishwasher safe
                  The Wüsthof supposedly is, but for longevity's sake neither of these babies is gonna see the inside of a dishwasher.

Comment

The best knife we have is from my Auntie's cottage in Maine- probably 100yrs old (not kidding) and sharp as anything. my step mum decided that she needed to have new knives and was going to throw it out. JFC. I snatched it up.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      The Wüsthof supposedly is, but for longevity's sake neither of these babies is gonna see the inside of a dishwasher.
                      I was hoping people would pick up on the joke.
                      Code:

Comment

There's a jar of Nutella, a jar of cookie butter, a small jar of crunchy almond butter, and two small jars of Jif Extra Crunchy.

I am going to convert all of those into baked goods before I sit in front of the cupboard with a spoon at 3 AM eating out of the jar.

Comment

Also, because I really want bread and pizza, and most of what I find in the store tastes nasty, I got to work last night and made a 100% whole wheat pizza dough. And much to my surprise, it rose last night.

That being said, I need to find a bag of whole wheat flour, especially since KAF is out of stock on a lot of things right now. Today, I was in Meijer, and I was surprised enough to find a bag of Pillsbury bread flour. I also want to try GF baking, and maybe some stuff with ancient grains. Wonder if walrus could offer advice on this.

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                            Also, because I really want bread and pizza, and most of what I find in the store tastes nasty, I got to work last night and made a 100% whole wheat pizza dough. And much to my surprise, it rose last night.

That being said, I need to find a bag of whole wheat flour, especially since KAF is out of stock on a lot of things right now. Today, I was in Meijer, and I was surprised enough to find a bag of Pillsbury bread flour. I also want to try GF baking, and maybe some stuff with ancient grains. Wonder if walrus could offer advice on this.
                            I know little about GF baking, I don't eat grains at all which makes it even harder. When I've made pizza, I've tried Almond flour, sucks, coconut flour, sucks, Ground chicken, tastes good but hardly a bread like pizza crust. Cauliflower , good but not what I think of pizza crust. Liberated Specialties food is supposed to make a good crust but never had one. https://liberatedspecialtyfoods.com/ Pizza and beer are the 2 things I miss the most. I don't miss the hospital though so I manage to not have either.
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              I know little about GF baking, I don't eat grains at all which makes it even harder. When I've made pizza, I've tried Almond flour, sucks, coconut flour, sucks, Ground chicken, tastes good but hardly a bread like pizza crust. Cauliflower , good but not what I think of pizza crust. Liberated Specialties food is supposed to make a good crust but never had one. https://liberatedspecialtyfoods.com/ Pizza and beer are the 2 things I miss the most. I don't miss the hospital though so I manage to not have either.
                              Nigella Lawson has something called a "Meatzza," where she either uses ground beef or lamb as the "crust," and it's amazing.

Also, I also found KAF has a measure for measure GF flour, made of potato flour, rice, and something else. I've even seen coffee flour, but I can't use it as a 100% replacement.

Comment

Also tonight, I am roasting a 4.5 lb leg of lamb and rubbing it down with oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary.

Watch my stepfather put ketchup on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X