No announcement yet.

USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    Made a delicious and easy pork roast in the slow cooker this weekend. It will be added into my regular rotation.

Put in slow cooker:
    3/4 cup red wine
    1 cup water
    3 T soy sauce
    1 pouch onion soup mix
    black pepper

Mix together, add pork tenderloin, turn to coat all sides.
    Top pork with minced garlic. Let cook on high 4-6 hours

I might cut the amount of soy sauce next time, it was a little too salty
    This sounds YUMMY! how big was the roast?

Comment

Dumb question. Do you preheat when you broil or do you just turn it on and shove it in?
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Dumb question. Do you preheat when you broil or do you just turn it on and shove it in?
        I preheat for a few minutes, then leave the door cracked to ensure the element stays on. That's how you do it with an electric stove, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          I preheat for a few minutes, then leave the door cracked to ensure the element stays on. That's how you do it with an electric stove, at least.
          Thanks. This is gas.

Dr. Mrs. told me not to preheat but the only way that makes sense to me is if broiling doesn't use ambient heat and just singes on the surface itself. Which... well, that's what broiling is? I dunno.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I’ve never quite gotten my gas broiler figured out. I think this is an area where I might prefer electric.

Or rather, I probably just have a sh-tty broiler in my oven. It just never seemed to do much compared to the 25-year-old electric at my dad’s house.

I put the pan on the highest rack, crack the oven door, and crank it to high. :-/
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              I’ve never quite gotten my gas broiler figured out. I think this is an area where I might prefer electric.
              My mom never did figure that out. We had a gas range/oven at the old cabin for about 5 years in the late 90s/early 2000s. She even struggled with the gas range, which is why they cut it off and converted everything to electric.

We later postulated that the previous owner (who was a former member of the family, and a known jerry-rigger and drunk) had possibly installed a natural gas stove with LP hardware (the tank and line-in were definitely LP). Which would explain why the burners always burned extra hot, and my mom never seemed to be able to properly control the heat level in the oven. But that could've also been a convenient womanly excuse.

Comment

I have never been able to figure out any of my gas broilers. They never seem to burn hot enough.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                  I have never been able to figure out any of my gas broilers. They never seem to burn hot enough.
                  Exactly! Which is crazy because most big commercial broilers are gas... I'm glad I'm not the only one.
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                    This sounds YUMMY! how big was the roast?
                    The roast was around 1.5 pounds. Recipe should work for a larger roast. It wasn't enough liquid to cover the roast while cooking, but plenty to spoon over the sliced servings.

As for broiling, I can't remember the last time I tried broiling something, maybe because my gas oven doesn't do a good job of it.
                    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                    7 B1G
                    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                    2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                      The roast was around 1.5 pounds. Recipe should work for a larger roast. It wasn't enough liquid to cover the roast while cooking, but plenty to spoon over the sliced servings.

As for broiling, I can't remember the last time I tried broiling something, maybe because my gas oven doesn't do a good job of it.
                      just the right size. Hmm

Comment

I made Sichuan-style hot oil today, and 2.5 hours in it's already a shade of red that looks like it will blow most of us Westerners away.

Comment

I haven't baked anything since my surgery. Getting itchy.

Since my bananas aren't ripe enough, definitely doing double chocolate crunchy peanut butter bread. Next time I get ripe bananas, I'm either doing banana chocolate pecan bread or banana crunchy peanut butter with dark chocolate chips (or as dx called it, "orgasm bread").
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                            I haven't baked anything since my surgery. Getting itchy.

Since my bananas aren't ripe enough, definitely doing double chocolate crunchy peanut butter bread. Next time I get ripe bananas, I'm either doing banana chocolate pecan bread or banana crunchy peanut butter with dark chocolate chips (or as dx called it, "orgasm bread").
                            I'd like the recipe for the former and the latter, please. I can't have the middle one (pecan allergy).

How long ago did dx call it that? Did he have a girlfriend yet?

Comment

Did I really call it that? Lol
                              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Did I really call it that? Lol
                                Yep. When I made it the first time, you told me add dark chocolate chips and call it orgasm bread.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X