No announcement yet.

USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Chip were the biggest pain in the *** to make. But boy were they tasty.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
      After I posted that, I read something on FB that said "if they didn't invite you, don't ask to go." That's all I need to know about The People I Share A Bloodline With.
      I understand that your situation is different, but I have asked to go and was welcomed. Once my grandparents passed, the aunts/uncles/cousins started doing their own things for Thanksgiving. For years that I haven't been able to travel to Texas to be with my immediate family, I now have a cousin that invites me. There was a year I found myself with nowhere to go. I sucked up my fear of rejection and asked an Uncle and was welcomed to his mother-in-law's house to celebrate with their family.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Chip were the biggest pain in the *** to make. But boy were they tasty.
      I don't think chips are that difficult (I bake mine). I'm also a person that cooks any potato peelings (I will never throw them out again). Mix them with a little olive oil and salt and bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes. Yum.
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G
      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
      2 Alaskan

Comment

I think I'm going to try and make poppyseed roll for Christmas.

Comment

Baked the first batch of Pepparkakor at home yesterday. ALso made Turkey pie, Turkey stock and turkey soup. It was a day in the kitchen (and I was barefoot... )

Comment

Made Alton Brown’s eggnog tonight.

Holy god. Go make it.

Now!
            https://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/

(We used Woodford, Appleton 12, and some middle of the road cognac)
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Christ that sounds lethal.

Comment

Made Alton Brown’s eggnog tonight.

Holy god. Go make it.

Now!
                https://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/

(We used Woodford, Appleton 12, and some middle of the road cognac)
                An interesting recipe.

My dad makes excellent eggnog. In fact, he is usually brought in by my sister to her bar and restaurant to whip up a batch for Christmas for her "regulars." Something I've always thought is a disaster waiting to happen, give the raw eggs component.

I've never heard of "aging" the eggnog before. Interesting.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

There are people who claim to have aged it for a year or more. I’m not that ballsy. But certainly a couple of weeks.
                  Code:

Comment

Tonight, I made a butternut squash lasagna featuring thinly sliced butternut squash as the noodles.

Took a lot of work, and there are some things I can improve on, but at 2 hours start to finish, plus more time for cooling... once a season is fine enough.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Yum.

Was it good?

Good enough to share the recipe? Future mrs doesn’t do gluten so butternut squash might be fun. I’ve wanted to use the mandolin with her for a while now.
                      Code:

Comment

Yum.

Was it good?

Good enough to share the recipe? Future mrs doesn’t do gluten so butternut squash might be fun. I’ve wanted to use the mandolin with her for a while now.
                        This is where I got the idea.

It was tasty. You can probably edit the recipe to your own liking.
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Yum.

Was it good?

I do Zuchinni "noodles" on mandolin all the time.
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Have anyone here tried one of the meal kit delivery services (like Helo fresh)? I'm trying to come up with present ideas for husband, and I think something like that might be fun. Any recommendations?
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G
                            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                            2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                              Have anyone here tried one of the meal kit delivery services (like Helo fresh)? I'm trying to come up with present ideas for husband, and I think something like that might be fun. Any recommendations?
                              My wife has tried a couple different ones for us.

Hello Fresh (cheap option): You will receive cheaper cuts of meat, and most sides will be potato-based. This shouldn't really surprise you for the price range. The meals tasted okay, but nothing great.

Home Chef (about $20/meal): This had better cuts of meat, and the sides were a range of options. The meals tasted pretty good. The average meal will take between 30-60 minutes of your active time, longer if you include the passive portion for baking, should you choose something that requires baking time.

There are more expensive meal delivery options, and will likely have even better recipes. I can honestly say that I enjoyed the Home Chef service for the few weeks we used it, but my wife and I are just too busy right now to cook their meals, so we're going with old standbys, quicker cooking options.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

All done baking and mailed the cookies out. 14 kinds, around 730 cookies (about half of what I've done lately). Opinions on the new ones -

Cranberry chai swirls - a lot of the cranberry jam oozed out when I rolled them. dough was not easy to handle. Also, I didn't read the recipe closely and initially bought dried cranberries instead of fresh. So now I have a crapload of dried cranberries to use.

Butter Rum cookies - nothing special. still on the lookout for a good butter rum cookie. So far, the best ones have been the rollout ones I did a few years ago. But I am anti-rollout for another 7 years or so.

Toffee snowballs - these were really good and pretty easy. powdered sugar is such a mess, though.

Still thinking about what to bake for family gifts, if anything.

Last edited by jen; 12-13-2019, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X