USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Getting away from food network titles considering they stopped being about the food years ago.

Vidalia onions are the only onions I buy when they are in season. Agree with the others, they go GREAT in sauces.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Getting away from food network titles considering they stopped being about the food years ago.
    Good call. I'd love to see Alton Brown move to his own Netflix or Amazon series, but I'm sure the size of his ex-wife's divorce settlement precludes it.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Good call. I'd love to see Alton Brown move to his own Netflix or Amazon series, but I'm sure the size of his ex-wife's divorce settlement precludes it.
      That's almost certainly why Food Network picked up Good Eats 2 instead of it being 100% web like was originally planned.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

dx, good call. I haven't watched Food Network in years. Seems like everyone I used to like (other than Alton) is just phoning it in.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

"I've had my fill of healthy. I'm looking to go unhealthy. Spitefully unhealthy."- Anthony Bourdain

What's something I could try that's decadent? Seems like all I could muster this weekend for "unhealthy" was beer and a cocktail.
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
            "I've had my fill of healthy. I'm looking to go unhealthy. Spitefully unhealthy."- Anthony Bourdain

What's something I could try that's decadent? Seems like all I could muster this weekend for "unhealthy" was beer and a cocktail.
            "Your body is not a temple - it's an amusement park."

Depends on your price tag.

Comment

"Your body is not a temple - it's an amusement park."

Depends on your price tag.
              Right now, I would take a nice stuffed French toast for breakfast.

Lucy's Cafe in Grand Rapids has a blueberry and cream cheese filled croissant.

Could go back to Marquette and get the waffle fries from Vango's and a more decadent dish from Casa Calabria.

New Holland Dragon's Milk.

Mac fudge ice cream.

If nothing else, explore the dessert section of Fannie Farmer and see what I can do.

Comment

I think you've found your answers.

If you're just look for something quick and private, some sort of an entire Haagen Dasz pint would fit the bill...just never read the grid of numbers on the package.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Vidalia onions are the only onions I buy when they are in season. Agree with the others, they go GREAT in sauces.
                  Here too. I have every (or pretty close to every) Good Eats episode recorded thanks to Cooking Channel and late night Food Network. For awhile I was watching the Chew a lot. Now I read a lot of Serious Eats (Kenji Lopez-Alt) and watch America's Test Kitchen on PBS. I've tried a few other PBS shows with varying interest levels (Ming Tsai's is hit or miss; I have about 8 of Jacques Pepin's that I've kept because the visuals help with the technique in a written recipe).

Comment

Right now, I would take a nice stuffed French toast for breakfast.

Lucy's Cafe in Grand Rapids has a blueberry and cream cheese filled croissant.

Could go back to Marquette and get the waffle fries from Vango's and a more decadent dish from Casa Calabria.

New Holland Dragon's Milk.

Mac fudge ice cream.

If nothing else, explore the dessert section of Fannie Farmer and see what I can do.
                    Can't believe Fanny still exists. Back at the height of late 90s prosperity, we were not only giving boxes of Trinidads to my father's subordinate managers at Christmastime, but even the mailman.

Comment

ATK is the best we've got, even without Pretentious Chris.

Who here remembers when Ming was a FoodTV star, right next to Sara Moulton?

Comment

ATK is the best we've got, even without Pretentious Chris.

Who here remembers when Ming was a FoodTV star, right next to Sara Moulton?
                        The bad guy from Flash Gordon was a cooking show star?
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          I think you've found your answers.

If you're just look for something quick and private, some sort of an entire Haagen Dasz pint would fit the bill...just never read the grid of numbers on the package.
                          1. Going spitefully unhealthy in a group is much more fun.

2. Serving sizes on ice cream are jokes. A proper serving of ice cream is when my spoon has emptied the pint of its contents.

Can't believe Fanny still exists. Back at the height of late 90s prosperity, we were not only giving boxes of Trinidads to my father's subordinate managers at Christmastime, but even the mailman.
                          I have the 100th anniversary edition of that and the 75th anniversary of JOY. They're the cookbooks I always come back to.

Comment

2. Serving sizes on ice cream are jokes. A proper serving of ice cream is when my spoon has emptied the pint of its contents.
                            Ehh - It's when you're full/done with eating...it doesn't have to be the whole pint.

I have the 100th anniversary edition of that and the 75th anniversary of JOY. They're the cookbooks I always come back to.
                            Me too. I have a bunch of basic/introductory cookbooks (Bittman's How to Cook Everything and How to Cook Everything Vegetarian; Ruhlman's Twenty; 75th of Joy of Cooking) and I still always go back to Joy of Cooking.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                              Ehh - It's when you're full/done with eating...it doesn't have to be the whole pint.
                              I'm inclined to agree with the Missy.

Comment

Working...
                              X