No announcement yet.

USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Ramen was fantastic.

A few things:
    —We aren’t doing softboiled eggs again. What a massive PITA. Should the shell peel pretty easily? Because ours didn’t. We’re just going to poach eggs next time.

—It’s missing something like lemon grass. It is so rich and creamy that it cries out for a bright acidic hit. Suggestions here are welcome.
    —The shoulder I used in the broth was amazing. I don’t think I would need to get pork belly and prepare that traditionally.
    —I need bigger bowls more suited to ramen. I didn’t think this would matter. But it really kind of allows you get adequate broth to noodle ratio.

We will be making base this again.

Edit: here’s the entire series of recipes
    https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/09/how-to-make-perfect-tonkotsu-ramen-food-lab-redux.html
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Best advice I have for making boiled eggs as easy as possible to peel is as follows:

1. Make sure you don't use eggs that are super-fresh (a week in the fridge is best, maybe even two if you get them straight from the farm)
      2. Don't put the eggs in cold water and then boil. Slowly lower them into a pot of already boiling water using a spider or large spoon.
      3. Cook to desired yolk done-ness (there are many recommended timings for this, you'll have to play around with it)
      4. Immediately plunge into an ice bath, and then peel

For acid, I would try a splash of rice vinegar in each bowl, or maybe even a traditional black vinegar if you can find it.

Comment

Thanks! We didn’t use the ice bath. We’ll have to do that.

The yolks shockingly stayed together despite the whites looking like they went through a snowblower.

We did 6 minutes at 190 F. I think I would go like 15-30 seconds longer.

But I’ll use those tips.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Scaled down cookies this year...

Christmas Confetti Biscotti
          Cranberry Chai Swirls (new)
          Currant Rugelach (or some other flavor)
          Dark Chocolate Buttercrunch
          Gingerbread Snickerdoodles
          Grasshoppers
          Peanut Butter Maple
          Peppermint Bark
          Butter Rum cookies (new)
          Toffee snowballs (new)
          Peppermint Hot Cocoa and Hot Cocoa
          Rum Punch sandwich
          Zimsterne
          Last edited by jen; 12-16-2019, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Does anybody have a recipe for a sweet potato casserole that isn’t candied up the wazoo? I saw one on allrecipes.com that uses a bacon topper rather than marshmallows and that intrigued me, but thought there might be some better ideas here. Thanks.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Lose the mint and come to my house!
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Does anybody have a recipe for a sweet potato casserole that isn’t candied up the wazoo? I saw one on allrecipes.com that uses a bacon topper rather than marshmallows and that intrigued me, but thought there might be some better ideas here. Thanks.
                It’s not a casserole, but we’re fans of Alton Brown’s sweet potatoes. He uses chipotles for a savory mash. I can’t eat the super sweet marshmallow topped mess anymore.
                I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Lose the mint and come to my house!
                  She has good ideas. Over at my apartment, I'm doing....

Peanut butter cups
                  Gingersnaps- right now, cookies, but may spin into a muffin if I feel like it.
                  Molasses spice muffins and cookies
                  Peanut butter dark chocolate cookies
                  Chocolate espresso chip cookies
                  Chocolate covered espresso beans
                  Marbled dark chocolate and peanut butter bread (I love the combination of PB and dark chocolate)
                  Pumpkin cranberry pecan bread/muffins
                  Plain pumpkin bread
                  Double chocolate crunchy peanut butter bread (my favorite, and an original creation)
                  Dessert pizza with homemade dough
                  Fresh brioche loaf
                  Nutella marbled bread
                  Chocolate cake with chocolate bourbon ganache and packed with chocolate chips

And more, because Miss Thundercat is in the mood to dance and party and eat.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by melmac View Post
                    It’s not a casserole, but we’re fans of Alton Brown’s sweet potatoes. He uses chipotles for a savory mash. I can’t eat the super sweet marshmallow topped mess anymore.
                    The idea of marshmallows just grossed me out in a dish like this
                    Code:

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      I use the one from Cooking Light. It is rich but not horribly so. You can make it ahead and then reheat or assemble it and bake it the day of. I almost always put it together on Tuesday and keep it in the fridge.
                      1/4 cup of sugar instead of 3/4c
                      Microwave (if short of time) or roast the potatoes rather than boil them then you don't have to peel them- let them cool enough to squish them out
                      Usually double the topping recipe.
                      I never broil it like they say at the end and no one cares.
                      I also use a slightly smaller casserole dish than what they say. One of the Corning flat oval ones.

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/sweet-potato-casserole
                      Last edited by leswp1; 11-23-2019, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=dxmnkd316;6867434]Thanks! We didn’t use the ice bath. We’ll have to do that.

The yolks shockingly stayed together despite the whites looking like they went through a snowblower.

We did 6 minutes at 190 F. I think I would go like 15-30 seconds longer.

I put week old eggs in an aluminum sauce pan, cover with water and turn on the stove. Set the timer for 14 minutes. As soon as the timer goes off, immediately put the eggs in an ice bath. I never have any trouble peeling them

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          The idea of marshmallows just grossed me out in a dish like this
                          Growing up, my mom used canned sweet potatoes, I think butter and brown sugar, and topped it with marshmallows. The thought of that now turns my stomach.

If we don’t make AB’s recipe, I’ll just add a little butter and salt to my sweet potato now.
                          I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by melmac View Post
                            Growing up, my mom used canned sweet potatoes, I think butter and brown sugar, and topped it with marshmallows. The thought of that now turns my stomach.

If we don’t make AB’s recipe, I’ll just add a little butter and salt to my sweet potato now.
                            I do that, plus pumpkin pie spice.
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Ok, couple things on eggs. We went 6.5 minutes at 190 and ice bathed them. Peeled way easier. Forgot to post that last week.

We also froze the excess stock with some of the pork shoulder at the bottom of each jar. It’s going to make an amazing no cook meal some time this winter.
                              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Ok, couple things on eggs. We went 6.5 minutes at 190 and ice bathed them. Peeled way easier. Forgot to post that last week.

We also froze the excess stock with some of the pork shoulder at the bottom of each jar. It’s going to make an amazing no cook meal some time this winter.
                                190? Sous vide?

Comment

Working...
                                X