No announcement yet.

USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Yes, and I find merits to both types, tbh. But right now I'm more interested in a high-quality 8 or 9" chef's knife that I can work with for many years to come, assuming I care for it properly.

Comment

When I was attending culinary school, they gave us Mercer knives. Good stuff.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I attempted to come up with a recipe out of my own mind tonight. I like Molasses Spice cookies, so I tried to turn that into a bread.

Much adjusting to be done, I'm sure.
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
          I attempted to come up with a recipe out of my own mind tonight. I like Molasses Spice cookies, so I tried to turn that into a bread.

Much adjusting to be done, I'm sure.
          So this was good. Next time, add nutmeg (I somehow don't have any right now), and add more baking powder. I only added 1 tsp and it didn't rise very much.

Comment

This is what I'm trying to do.

Molasses spice bread
            2 cups flour
            1 tablespoon baking powder
            1 teaspoon salt
            1 teaspoon cinnamon
            ½ teaspoon allspice
            ½ teaspoon ginger
            ¼ teaspoon cloves
            ¼ teaspoon black pepper
            1 cup sugar
            ¼ cup melted butter (4 tbsp)
            ½ cup dark molasses
            1 egg, slightly beaten
            1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350, or 375 if you’re making muffins.

Using a large mixing bowl and a large rubber spatula, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, spices, and sugar. Add the egg, butter, molasses, and milk, and fully incorporate.

Grease a loaf pan and pour the batter in. Put in the oven for 50 minutes (20 if muffins), and test with a fork for doneness.

Pull from oven and turn onto rack to cool.

Comment

I took about 10-15 minutes today and hand-kneaded pizza dough, sprayed a bowl with cooking spray, and watched it rise. I am good.

If you have patience, homemade bread is simple.

Comment

Hand kneaded (not with a dough hook or food processor) 100% whole wheat bread. Didn't get a significant rise, and it's rather dense.

Takeaways:

1. Next time, either knead for 15-20 minutes, or get a dough hook. Don't think I worked the gluten long enough.
                2. It is winter and it is cold outside. Unless I want to set the temp in my apartment to 80, be patient.

I also noticed the quality of my products have gone up once I bought better quality ingredients.

Comment

Making a version of Kenji Lopez’s ramen today for meals the next few days.

I accidentally splashed boiling water on my hand dumping the blanching water. Motherf—-cker hurts.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Holy god. At six hours this stuff doesn’t seem like it could get more flavor. It’s incredible.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

You actually made ramen broth from scratch? As in, bought the bones and everything? That's ambitious.

Comment

I had to sub some of the stuff. I used bones from pork ribs and chicken. I had a rotisserie chicken carcass because I made a trip to Costco for what my fiancée and I call Costco chicken salad*. Did the whole blanch, clean, and simmer. The cooking down of the vegetables made the house smell great by themselves. I would double that amount next time since my fiancée can’t eat garlic** (bad acid reflux).

I also had to use a small shoulder roast for the fat instead of fatback. Leg bones and fatback are shockingly hard to find. I found some leg end ham bones but they weren’t big enough, they were smoked, and were almost certainly cured. Fatback got some pretty blank stares, half were “What the hell is fatback?” And the other half was “We’ve never had anyone ask for that.” The one butcher at Hy-Vee said he hasn’t seen fatback since he left Iowa and even then it was rare. He said he mostly saw it when he was still in Georgia.

So while it’s not perfectly to the recipe, I think it’s close. The broth isn’t brown (yet, gulp) And has a perfect milky translucency to it. It’s unseasoned, per traditional preparation. So it’s hard to really judge the flavor until I get it properly seasoned with tare. There just isn’t enough salinity to judge it. But it has a luxurious mouthfeel and i can tell it’s very porky.

I’ll cook down the the tare tomorrow. Which also lets me add garlic to mine!

*One rotisserie chicken, one Costco quinoa salad, mayo, Dijon, smoked paprika. Fresh ground black pepper. Makes excellent chicken salad sandwiches. They have that quinoa salad and rotisserie chicken at all of the Costcos. It makes a ton of food and lasts us a week for lunches.

**We’ve been doing experiments after we read that garlic infused oil is better for FODMAP-sensitives. We won’t make our own because we don’t need botulism. And the infused stuff is hella expensive. It has to be extracted with fat and not from added flavoring, which is what most of the crap you can buy at the store. Apparently the FODMAP compounds are water soluble. So we heat garlic cloves in oil and get much of the flavor. We have to use it right away because of the botulism risk. But that’s fine.

If you had asked me five years ago if I would date someone who has issues with gluten, lactose, and garlic, I’d have laughed. I’ve made off color comments about how life isn’t worth living without lactose and gluten. Now we’re planning a wedding. And my favorite ice cream is actually oat-based now. Never would have discovered it without her. The garlic thing is hardest. Really hard to get that
                        Code:

Comment

I've got coffee hour at my church Sunday, along with a potluck on Saturday, along with someone ordering a few things from me.

Gingersnaps
                          Pumpkin bread with chocolate chips
                          Molasses spice muffins
                          Mint dark chocolate cookies
                          Marbled peanut butter and dark chocolate bread
                          Coffee cake
                          Chocolate cookies with espresso chips
                          Sugar cookies

Which means I need to start on Wednesday.

Comment

I'm guessing you could probably pay shipping to have fatback delivered on ice from some farm in Skanksville, Iowa, but it sounds like you did fine.

Comment

I have some fodmap issues and so I try to avoid onions and garlic. I did find some spice that helps in its absence. Found it on a blog and was able to order from amazon.

Did you make ramen? I am trying to find a good homemade pho broth

Comment

Ramen tonight. Just made the broth yesterday.

I’m not entirely sure I would go through this regularly because it is a lot of work to start. It’s also best with throwaway bones instead of buying because even what used to be third-tier cuts are getting pricey. Bone in shoulder, chicken wings, etc.

I’m guessing we’ll start freezing bones for stocks and broths.

I’ll let you know how this one works with her.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X