This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

At Tyson, starting next year, I get two weeks vacation per year. I also get three "floating holidays," which are paid, and 16 hours unpaid time off.

And they're good about letting me have certain Saturdays off.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Here in New York, Paid Family Leave (aka FMLA) takes PTO to a whole new level. I am in full support of making-use of FMLA to care for a newborn or family member with a serious illness, however this system is wide-open for abuse. I have no idea how the Employees are abusing it, but I hear it regularly from the shop Foremen, especially on sunny warm-weather days.
      Dave
      RIT - '90

Comment

I've got 10 days of Vacation and it's use it or lose it. The turnover date on that is your hire date. This is another area where companies just don't give a crap about people on the lower levels and acting as the face of your company. Another reason why working in retail/service industries sucks.

My use has gotten several "off the record" complaints from management. I will use vacation days on Fridays/Saturdays in June/July. These days are not blacked out, but, especially the Saturdays following Father's Day, can be some of the busiest non-holiday days of the year. I'll get dirty looks every time I put in for them, but no one ever says anything "official" about me taking them. It's basically an off the record guilt trip tactic. They're ticked that I am smart enough to beat the game.

This system is also the only way I can survive, as I'm busting my rear working my 2nd job on these days. I'll make over 1/2 of my officiating income on these days and officiating baseball and football is about 25% of my total income. This is where all my spending money comes from, so if it goes away, I have almost no cash for "extras". It's basically a microcosm of the problems we face today...
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

29 days of PTO, carry over a max of 5. The carryover PTO must be used by March 15. My company then has 2 days of "Personal Holidays" that are essentially PTO of another name.

And then I also get the 10 federal holidays off, all paid.

I can also take up to 2 days off to work to instead work at various charities.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
            Here in New York, Paid Family Leave (aka FMLA) takes PTO to a whole new level. I am in full support of making-use of FMLA to care for a newborn or family member with a serious illness, however this system is wide-open for abuse. I have no idea how the Employees are abusing it, but I hear it regularly from the shop Foremen, especially on sunny warm-weather days.
            Paid FMLA? I thought that was unpaid. Co-worker has a wheelchair bound husband and spreads her FMLA out like crazy....a couple of afternoons each week it seems.

I have no vacation 'cause I didn't qualify for FMLA and when I had the baby, I had to use up the 1 week PTO I had before short term disability kicked in (at 60% pay).

Our workplace was bought up by a larger company this year and everyone is in a tizzy about the new PTO. It will be an interesting December when just last month they announced that there will be no PTO carryover (used to be able to carryover). They will be paying out any unused vacation, but we'll see.

Anyway, I came into this thread to complain about someone grinding my gears, not PTO.

Does anyone else have someone they know or work with that has mannerisms that just make you want to get away from them, or maybe kick them? This lady licks her lips and sticks her tongue out all the time. It's icky. She rocks back and forth when standing. She never shuts up, even when she was told (and was telling other people) that during the audit don't give extra information. Ughh... don't make crap up during an audit that you can't support, and don't try to act like you know everything about this place when you've been here for 4 months, and the people that have been here longer aren't saying things, not because they don't know how to answer, but because an answer isn't necessary. Shut up, shut up, shut up! Stop moving your tongue around. gross.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

21 days PTO year at my firm, career level, and less than 5 years seniority. I can rollover up to 6 weeks, but they won't pay out any excess unless state law requires it (California, basically). I also get one floating holiday that is "use it or lose it", plus all the standard paid US holidays.

Also, we have August fiscal years because we're awesome like that, which means the deadline for using any excess PTO is 8/31 each year.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                We don’t get any carryover. But I get three weeks plus five floaters. We also get nearly unlimited sick time. I would have gone unpaid without any vacation with PTO this year. All because I was sick.

**** the PTO system with a cactus. I’m glad my company doesn’t do PTO. yet.
                I actually like the PTO system (we used to have 5 sick days a year and then VAC days, I maybe used 1 sick day a year, due to back issues), but were never reimbursed for the unused sick days. This combined method works for me. We also have *snicker* STD (short term disability), which I believe would cover a long illness like you had. That is separate from PTO stuff, kinda, IIRC.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Yeah, that’s great. But it encourages (or even forces) people to work sick. That’s not ok in a civilized society.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Yeah, that’s great. But it encourages (or even forces) people to work sick. That’s not ok in a civilized society.
                    Not really. The formerly "sick" days were added to the PTO time at our company. So it's a PTO day no matter what, you just had more of them.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                      Not really. The formerly "sick" days were added to the PTO time at our company. So it's a PTO day no matter what, you just had more of them.
                      People will work when they’re sick in the PTO system because they budget out more vacation days for themselves. It’s proven time and again.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        People will work when they’re sick in the PTO system because they budget out more vacation days for themselves. It’s proven time and again.
                        I guess I work in a different environment. *shrug* Anecdotal, but truth where I work.

Comment

We don’t get any carryover. But I get three weeks plus five floaters. We also get nearly unlimited sick time. I would have gone unpaid without any vacation with PTO this year. All because I was sick.

**** the PTO system with a cactus. I’m glad my company doesn’t do PTO. yet.
                          I get 2 weeks vacation an 2 weeks sick time this year at my current company. Can carry over 40 hours of vacation (we also have to take a week as one week) to the first quarter and get paid out if you don't take it as long as you made an attempt to, otherwise you lose it. They recently switched over to PTO for all non-union employees (I'm union) and the feedback from the non-union people we work with has been negative. We are in contract negotiations and it sounds like the company is really pushing PTO (main reason is we switched to Workday and that doesn't handle separate sick and vacation time well)...I only have 8 working days left with them though. Have no idea what I will get at the new company, but I hear it's a pretty decent amount.
                          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Workday handles it perfectly fine at my company. Tell them they’re full of ****.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Workday handles it perfectly fine at my company. Tell them they’re full of ****.
                              Or had a sh*tty implementation of Workday, which is also not his fault.

Comment

We went from a system of sick days and vacation to just PTO. The PTO time given was the same as what each employee was given for sick time and for vacation time under the prior system. Under our old system it was true that you could only use the sick days if you were "sick" and not for vacation or for personal time off, so from that standpoint I suppose our new system does provide for some incentive, if you want to call it that, to come to work when you might otherwise claim a "sick day."

But the reason for the switch was I wanted to do away with the whole charade of trying to evaluate if they were "sick." We had employees who called in sick but were then seen at the grocery store that same day. I always thought it was just a farce.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X