X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Are you looking at staying in Iowa?
    Yeah, wife is on track to hopefully become a judge in the next 3-5 years based on upcoming retirements, so no moving allowed unless the pay could cover my and her salaries combined.

Comment

• Re: Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      Yeah, wife is on track to hopefully become a judge in the next 3-5 years based on upcoming retirements, so no moving allowed unless the pay could cover my and her salaries combined.
      That's amazing. Congrats, hopefully.

Either way, best of luck on the search.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Beat wishes and good luck. I know what you’re going through. My previous job was such a bad environment I actually worried for my own mental health. Glad you have some options.

Are you looking at staying in Iowa?
        Ditto. Changing was like being reborn! Haven't stopped feeling relieved yet after almost 4 yrs.

Comment

My boss called me today, asked if I knew what I was going to do with my PTO because our company is going to enforce the rollover limit this year (for the first time in like two years).

He asked me how I banked up so much time off this year (20+ days) when I already took approximately two weeks off so far this year. I said it was because he was a stickler on approving PTO. So I half joked, half serious, asked about taking a month off. He immediately shot that idea down because of "staffing" and if they replaced me for a month, I might not have a spot to come back to. () So then I jokingly offered to take every Friday off. I was responded to with "well, our clients needs come first, and you can't leave your project hanging."

So... I can't take a month to burn the PTO at once. I can't spread out my PTO because our client needs their hand held (and for the record, no, no they don't but our boss has no clue about this project), so just when can I take my time off?
          Last edited by aparch; 09-30-2019, 11:41 AM.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            My boss called me today, asked if I knew what I was going to do with my PTO because our company is going to enforce the rollover limit this year (for the first time in like two years).

He asked me how I banked up so much time off this year (20+ days) when I already took approximately two weeks off so far this year. I said it was because he was a stickler on approving PTO. So I half joked, half serious, asked about taking a month off. He immediately shot that idea down because of "staffing" and if they replaced me for a month, I might not have a spot to come back to. () So then I jokingly offered to take every Friday off. I was responded to with "well, our clients needs come first, and you can't leave your project hanging."

So... I can't take a month to burn the PTO at once. I can't spread out my PTO because our client needs their hand held (and for the record, no, no they don't but our boss has no clue about this project), so just when can I take my time off?
            I feel your pain! One of the reasons I left my last place. I had 4 weeks of Vacation. If I asked for time in advance she would tell me she couldn't tell me if it would be OK that early. If I asked when would be good to take time then that was bad too (I never could figure out why this was bad) and she couldn't tell me when would be good. If I just declared I am taking time then she would be pi55ed and complain to anyone who would listen what an entitled a hole I was. If I tried to take time earlier in yr she would be mad because it wasn't a good time. When I had all the time at the end of the yr it was my fault that I hadn't taken it yet and she was mad I wasn't there in December.

I left because I asked in AUGUST for a day off in late Oct. (My kid's last XC meet he'd run in College). I even offered to make up the time other days. She wouldn't let me block out my schedule beforehand and then told me I had patients booked so she didn't see how I could ask for the time. I still want to rip her eyes out every time I think about it. When I gave my resignation after she finished maligning my character, telling me I unprofessional, entitled and too big for my britches she started in on how I could never manage my vacation time.
            Last edited by leswp1; 09-30-2019, 03:13 PM.

Comment

That kind of sucks.

You should check to see what the law is in your state. In some states I think the courts have taken the position that PTO that you've earned is compensation that is owed and it can't just be taken away, although they can institute reasonable rules for usage.

PTO is a major hassle to manage, at least from my personal standpoint of operating a business. Employees like to take time off at the same time -- in the summer, around the holidays, around the weekends, etc... I understand that, but from a staffing standpoint it becomes very difficult.

We also have employees who want to hang onto some of their PTO for "emergencies." No one wants to be out in September, in case something comes up. I understand that too. On the other hand, I can't have everyone gone the last week of the year as they try to exhaust their PTO that they've been holding for emergencies.

You like to work with people to make sure they can use it, but the minute you try to be flexible, then you face the "well, you let him do this, why can't I."

I'm not sure that there is a real great solution.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                That kind of sucks.

You should check to see what the law is in your state. In some states I think the courts have taken the position that PTO that you've earned is compensation that is owed and it can't just be taken away, although they can institute reasonable rules for usage.

PTO is a major hassle to manage, at least from my personal standpoint of operating a business. Employees like to take time off at the same time -- in the summer, around the holidays, around the weekends, etc... I understand that, but from a staffing standpoint it becomes very difficult.

We also have employees who want to hang onto some of their PTO for "emergencies." No one wants to be out in September, in case something comes up. I understand that too. On the other hand, I can't have everyone gone the last week of the year as they try to exhaust their PTO that they've been holding for emergencies.

You like to work with people to make sure they can use it, but the minute you try to be flexible, then you face the "well, you let him do this, why can't I."

I'm not sure that there is a real great solution.
                One of my friends works for a place that allows you to carry over the PTO but you need to burn that by March of the following yr (I think that is when- they have a deadline). That way if you have kids you don't need to worry if they get sick and you need time.

Comment

We can carry over a week's worth, and I usually do. I flood mgmt with PTO requests at the beginning of the year, for the best shot at getting to that point, since I get about 6 weeks' worth each year. Still a pain in the butt, since I don't really take but one true vacation per year.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

PTO should be fired into the son. Vacation and sick time should be separate and sick time should be unlimited.

You may now return to your originally scheduled programming.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I am lucky in that up to 120 unused hours is paid out as taxable income every Feb, we accrue 20+ hours monthly and the time can be used for anything within reason.

Comment

We accrue PTO hours each week at a rate determined by length of service. Nothing happens at the end of the year - just keep accruing. However, we are capped at 2x of what we accrue in a year, so if you don’t take any time off for 2 full years, you just stop accruing. I think this is a good policy, because it encourages people to actually use their PTO (use it or lose it) without setting the same end-of-year deadline for everyone, so there isn’t a mad rush out the door in December.

We are also allowed to “donate” PTO to other employees who have health or family emergencies, so a lot of old-timers who are perennially bumping against their cap take advantage of this.
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                          We accrue PTO hours each week at a rate determined by length of service. Nothing happens at the end of the year - just keep accruing. However, we are capped at 2x of what we accrue in a year, so if you don’t take any time off for 2 full years, you just stop accruing. I think this is a good policy, because it encourages people to actually use their PTO (use it or lose it) without setting the same end-of-year deadline for everyone, so there isn’t a mad rush out the door in December.

We are also allowed to “donate” PTO to other employees who have health or family emergencies, so a lot of old-timers who are perennially bumping against their cap take advantage of this.
                          Our department proposed to the owner of the company a few years ago the 2x cap, which he liked, but it never was implemented.

I've known a few companies that offer the PTO donation, but none of the companies I've worked for offer that. I asked about it with my current employer years back, and have continually asked about it once a year when a few people like me had so many hours banked up; but I am always greeted with a confused stare, and then "why would we want to do something like that?"

As for my PTO, it looks like I can make it work. A few four day weekends, request to roll an extra two/three days as "snow days" for the winter, I should be good.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

As for my PTO, it looks like I can make it work. A few four day weekends, request to roll an extra two/three days as "snow days" for the winter, I should be good.
                            That's what I do. A lot of Mondays/Fridays requested, especially after a holiday weekend (since EVERYONE asks for the Fri preceding said weekend).
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                              We can carry over a week's worth, and I usually do. I flood mgmt with PTO requests at the beginning of the year, for the best shot at getting to that point, since I get about 6 weeks' worth each year. Still a pain in the butt, since I don't really take but one true vacation per year.
                              I get 4 weeks of vacation, which seems insufficient to me (plus 5 days of 'floating holidays' I can take any time, and then some fixed holidays) . I’m not sure how many sick days we get per year anymore because I’m maxed out.

we can carry over all of our unused vacation and sick time from one year to the next, but we're capped at how much we can accumulate (for vacation it's 2x your yearly amount). Right now I can accumulate a max of 8 weeks of vacation and something like 65 sick days (employer used to have unlimited sick time accumulation, but the board decided it was too big of a liability on the books so they capped it and then paid for long-term disability insurance for everyone)

It's not uncommon to have co-workers take month long vacations, especially some of my co-workers from India -- they go back and visit family every couple years.
                              Last edited by BassAle; 10-02-2019, 11:59 AM.

Comment

We don’t get any carryover. But I get three weeks plus five floaters. We also get nearly unlimited sick time. I would have gone unpaid without any vacation with PTO this year. All because I was sick.

**** the PTO system with a cactus. I’m glad my company doesn’t do PTO. yet.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X