Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

Hey RB. If you're making $65 / game, think of what the parents are paying the arsehole to get their kid ready for the "next level".
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
      You never said anything that bad. As a kid, as an adult, as a teen....I kinda doubt that. Heat of the moment, I think we all said some stupid sh* at some point.
      Whether it is the heat of the moment or not is irrelevant. We have all said stupid sh1t. Most of us had to deal with consequences. The give the guy a chance mentality when something this egregious has happened is not a good message to send to anyone. Not him, not the kids, not the parents, not the other coaches. You can feel sorry for the ba5tard all you want if he effed up but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be held accountable and pay the piper. End of story. The give the guy a chance is what has landed us in the horrific culture we are in now where it is OK to say everything because well, [fill in an excuse]
      Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      Just to clarify this situation a bit based on the discussion going on:

- There is no "league" that this clown can be reported to. The clown coaches for an independent development team/program. The incident took place through an independent tournament organization. In both cases, these are "pay to play" deals. Both are for-profit companies in both cases. Parents pay $$$ to the program to get their kid ready for high school & college ball. Even possibly beyond if the talent is there. The programs then pay $$$ to enter these tournaments ($800-1000/weekend) to get "exposure" for these kids. They typically play on college fields, so college coaches can see the kids that are brought to their doorstep (oh, and the tournament pays the college $$$ to use the field. So they make money while skimming for recruits on the deal as well.)

- The issue at hand is I am on the very bottom rung of this pile. The tournament organization doesn't want to do much to tick off these multi-team development organizations. My deal was with an 18u team. But this organization has 10-12 other teams that also pay to play these tournaments. Tick off one team and the organization decides as a whole to not come back next year and beyond because there are dozens of other tournament outlets like this one within 2-3 hours of Chicago. My incident could result in $10-$20k in lost entry fees for the tournament company. This organization does a decent enough job of protecting us, but at the same time, is defending a single umpire worth a loss of $10k+ in entry fees?

This is the dark world of "pay to play" athletics. On it's face, as an official, you are expendable. Which is why using social media is my nuke option here. Obviously today's political climate is one of both acceptance and scorching the earth of people that use language like this. There will always be White, Suburban Yuppie kids playing baseball at a high level. But will this organization want to survive on just that? That's the question at hand.

Edit: And for the record, profit is simply the reason I'm involved. These games pay $65/each and I can cover between 8-15 games over a weekend. Using vacation time at work to make this cash is where my "beer money" for the year comes from. But then again, tournament organizations sometimes feel that since they are writing a check for $1000+ to officials for a single weekend of work, that they can't tick off the paying customers, so
      Oooooh. that is not good. Then you post asking the question how people think it would be best handled when you run into a situation like....[fill in the blanks]. Then you can acknowledge there are those who are being a55holes and let people know it is not OK. THat way you hang the dude out to dry by letting others lambaste him (like we did in here)

Comment

You never said anything that bad. As a kid, as an adult, as a teen....I kinda doubt that. Heat of the moment, I think we all said some stupid sh* at some point.
        I have quite a temper (I have experienced blackout rage ... more than once) and I have never used race or sexuality as a pejorative term (from what I remember and my husband and parents have been present for the blackout instances...so I asked them). I have said plenty of horrible things, but there are plenty of ways to be more creative with your cursing and anger that don't need to include hate speech.

Comment

If he called/calls/whatever the next day, and owns up to his error, on his own, and had no previous history...ok, I MIGHT let it slide. If not? Here comes the hammer. That's all I'm saying.

I believe in second chances overall. Yes, that has burned me at times, I admit.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

If he called/calls/whatever the next day, and owns up to his error, on his own, and had no previous history...ok, I MIGHT let it slide. If not? Here comes the hammer. That's all I'm saying.

I believe in second chances overall. Yes, that has burned me at times, I admit.
            I have a question. Is it possible that it didn't just burn you? When you accept the person's wrongdoing and give a second chance (esp if, unknown to you, this is not the first time) is is possible that you are not the only one who gets burnt. If this guy (or someone else) gets a second chance from everyone he does something nasty to then he can go on in-perpetuity- he just moves to the new group, never being accountable for what he does. Not talking about something little- like dropping an f-bomb once. I mean stuff that would not be acceptable no matter what. There are some lines that shouldn't be crossed, no matter what the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
              I have a question. Is it possible that it didn't just burn you? When you accept the person's wrongdoing and give a second chance (esp if, unknown to you, this is not the first time) is is possible that you are not the only one who gets burnt. If this guy (or someone else) gets a second chance from everyone he does something nasty to then he can go on in-perpetuity- he just moves to the new group, never being accountable for what he does. Not talking about something little- like dropping an f-bomb once. I mean stuff that would not be acceptable no matter what. There are some lines that shouldn't be crossed, no matter what the situation.
              It is possible, yes. Usually stuff like this, even if not officially reported, gets word around the league/group/association/etc.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Writing almost 2,000 words on personal memories? Easy so far, even if it is taking me a couple hours to finish one page.

Getting through 5 pages on an academic subject? Pour the wine, because I'm taking Hemingway's advice.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                  Hemingway's advice.
                  Best advice I have ever heard on writing, however it was Peter De Vries.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 07-27-2019, 08:45 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Best advice I have ever heard on writing, however it was Peter De Vries.
                    What, "write drunk, edit sober?" Because I always heard it attributed to Hemingway. Either way, now I know.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                      What, "write drunk, edit sober?" Because I always heard it attributed to Hemingway. Either way, now I know.
                      Some of the greatest musicians belong to the 27 Club.

Comment

Remembering your badge at the top of the stairs coming out of the parking garage when your spot is on the lowest level.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

We just had an evacuation drill under a severe thunderstorm warning. The system has a history of lightning and hail.

I hope that person is handed their walking papers by 2 PM.
                          Code:
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            We just had an evacuation drill under a severe thunderstorm warning. The system has a history of lightning and hail.

Did you tell them to go f-ck themselves? I'm not going outside in those conditions and I don't care what corporate says.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Did you tell them to go f-ck themselves? I'm not going outside in those conditions and I don't care what corporate says.
                              My mouth was full as I had also just sat down for lunch. I scarfed it down (gross), went outside, and walked right back in. The worst part of the cluster**** was apparently we had a few thousand people standing outside after it was over and they all had to badge in manually through the four or five lanes at the front door.

These people are ****ing nuts.
                              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Some of the hail out towards Medina (far western suburb/ex-burb for you non-Minnesotans) was described as being roughly "tennis ball" size.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X