Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    I was in SoCal last week (Inland Empire area) for a pinball tournament - my GPS kept locating me in San Francisco.

I turned off use wifi to determine location and it stopped. Must have been picking up someone's wifi using a proxy or VPN or something.
    Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Pretty sure those are two unrelated issues. It seems portable/pop-up cell towers are dumb about their physical location unless they're told/corrected. I repeatedly have had my phone tell me that I am in Detroit the whole time I am inside the McCormick Place in Chicago for the Chicago Auto Show.

It's my understanding that cell phones get their location data from cell towers, and wifi is only used to "fine tune" the location, but never for the named location. (Again, my Google Maps always placed me within McCormick, Verizon forced my phone to think I was in Detroit for the weather widget.)

As for Spartan, yes, my GMail filters were wack for a couple days, and still *kinda* are, but it is almost like it was. My biggest issues is that GMail notifications are delayed to my phone (it's been an issue with every smartphone I've had, despite data-saver disabling), and during that time notifications were delayed by hours (worse than normal).

My Nest notifications were also delayed by over a half hour (nothing like getting a notification of someone at the door and watching yourself come home a half hour earlier). The Nest app was live so it wasn't an internet upload issue to Google, just Google fu**ing with their settings.

I'm really starting to get annoyed with Google tweaking settings without any notice. Or any ability to report feedback. I'm a little too deep into their sh** nowadays for them to still act like everything is a Beta Test...
    That seems right. I was inside basically a warehouse with gobs of computers/multimedia/streaming setups running - probably couldn't pull a strong enough GPS signal so went with the next strongest thing, which was probably proxied through SF somehow.

First noticed it on my weather widget as well.

I use manual refresh on my e-mail because I don't like my phone pinging 80,727 times a day - if I'm expecting something important I'll check for it.
    I don't care about any of this.

WHAT HAPPENED IN THE PINBALL TOURNAMENT?!?!?!
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      Pretty sure those are two unrelated issues. It seems portable/pop-up cell towers are dumb about their physical location unless they're told/corrected. I repeatedly have had my phone tell me that I am in Detroit the whole time I am inside the McCormick Place in Chicago for the Chicago Auto Show.

It's my understanding that cell phones get their location data from cell towers, and wifi is only used to "fine tune" the location, but never for the named location. (Again, my Google Maps always placed me within McCormick, Verizon forced my phone to think I was in Detroit for the weather widget.)

As for Spartan, yes, my GMail filters were wack for a couple days, and still *kinda* are, but it is almost like it was. My biggest issues is that GMail notifications are delayed to my phone (it's been an issue with every smartphone I've had, despite data-saver disabling), and during that time notifications were delayed by hours (worse than normal).

My Nest notifications were also delayed by over a half hour (nothing like getting a notification of someone at the door and watching yourself come home a half hour earlier). The Nest app was live so it wasn't an internet upload issue to Google, just Google fu**ing with their settings.

I'm really starting to get annoyed with Google tweaking settings without any notice. Or any ability to report feedback. I'm a little too deep into their sh** nowadays for them to still act like everything is a Beta Test...
      I still remember when gmail used to be an exchange account you setup on your iPhone. It was awesome. Instant push notifications. Then around the EOL of iPhone 5 they announced no new setups would be allowed on phones but older phones with existing accounts would still work. I've switched over to the Gmail app finally. The search function is just way too good to not use it.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        I don't care about any of this.

WHAT HAPPENED IN THE PINBALL TOURNAMENT?!?!?!
        Haha when I saw what you bolded I had a feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          Haha when I saw what you bolded I had a feeling.
          You can't throw a lede like that out there in a post, then leave us hanging. I mean, C'mon.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            You can't throw a lede like that out there in a post, then leave us hanging. I mean, C'mon.
            I see my humblebrag has worked to perfection.

I've been playing competitively for about a year now. Mostly weekly/monthly tournaments around Denver and on occasion Fort Collins, but decided to treat myself and fly out to California for INDISC in Banning.

Did pretty well - solid performance in the open tournament and came a few qualifying points away from qualifying for the finals in one of the classics tournaments.

Pretty sweet setup - the main bank of games had cameras over the playfields and giant monitors on the wall above them so you could watch others play.

I can keep geeking out if desired.
            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Pinbot in play? KISS? Tornado?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                Pinbot in play? KISS? Tornado?
                Not in the selection this time.

The Open

F14
                Indy 500
                BKSoR pro
                Cactus Canyon
                Banzai Run
                Radical
                Diner
                Black Rose
                Scared Stiff
                Viking
                Class of 1812
                Sopranos
                Beat the Clock - Bally
                Dialed In
                Rescue 911
                Star light (wms)
                ACNC

Classics (13-16 games):

4 Square
                Ali
                Black Pyramid
                Comet
                Cosmic Princess
                Dolly Parton
                Force II
                Flash
                Frontier
                Jungle Queen
                OXO
                Sinbad
                Spanish Eyes
                Surfer
                Wizard

High Stakes/Women’s (7-8 games):

Grand Lizard
                Star Gazer
                Tom
                Prospector
                HRC
                IM
                Hoops
                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Not in the selection this time.

The Open

F14
                  Indy 500
                  BKSoR pro
                  Cactus Canyon
                  Banzai Run
                  Radical
                  Diner
                  Black Rose
                  Scared Stiff
                  Viking
                  Class of 1812
                  Sopranos
                  Beat the Clock - Bally
                  Dialed In
                  Rescue 911
                  Star light (wms)
                  ACNC

Classics (13-16 games):

4 Square
                  Ali
                  Black Pyramid
                  Comet
                  Cosmic Princess
                  Dolly Parton
                  Force II
                  Flash
                  Frontier
                  Jungle Queen
                  OXO
                  Sinbad
                  Spanish Eyes
                  Surfer
                  Wizard

High Stakes/Women’s (7-8 games):

Grand Lizard
                  Star Gazer
                  Tom
                  Prospector
                  HRC
                  IM
                  Hoops
                  Jungle Queen was my favorite. I wonder how many quarters I dumped into that machine.

Comment

Happy New Year. Same old ****. Leave admin screwed up my paycheck again.

I think they should let those of us who have better attention to detail than the bureaucracy manage our own leaves. It would be more work, but less stress.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                      Has anyone else's Gmail filter been going haywire the last week? All of a sudden things that are clearly ads and were previously put into the "promotional" category have been making their way into the primary inbox.

And the other way, I've had some regular emails going to promotional. At first I thought it could be that they used their work email, but it was their personal email so that shouldn't have had any triggers to move it out of the regular inbox.
                      Mine has, right after credit bureau monitoring told me my email address has been found on the dark web.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                        Mine has, right after credit bureau monitoring told me my email address has been found on the dark web.
                        That’s fun. So far it’s just been ads for services I’m already signed up for, so while annoying I don’t think there’s anything nefarious.
                        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                          Has anyone else's Gmail filter been going haywire the last week? All of a sudden things that are clearly ads and were previously put into the "promotional" category have been making their way into the primary inbox.

And the other way, I've had some regular emails going to promotional. At first I thought it could be that they used their work email, but it was their personal email so that shouldn't have had any triggers to move it out of the regular inbox.
                          I've been getting Plenty Of Fish/OK Cupid messages in my inbox, while important email has been going to "promotions."
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

wouldn't it be nice if 'hide post' on Facebook actually hid the post?

Comment

It usually does....?
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                It usually does....?
                                Kinda sorta, although I know FB on comp works different than on a smartphone. I have some ext's that don't work on smartphone.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X