Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    At my job, parents who are terrible at communication. I have to be in Comstock Park by 4:15 PM, and I leave from Holland at 3:15. I pull into a gas station 5 minutes away from the client's apartment and see text messages that were sent at 3:45 PM, saying the client has a fever and we need to cancel. Next time, do you think you could tell me before I leave my apartment?
    You might be frustrated but it would be a good idea to figure out how to put that kind of stuff in a box in your head. It is not unusual for parents to find out things when the kids get off the bus. Can't count all the times the parents called us at about that time or even a bit later to have the kid be seen. Also fevers are cyclic and that is the time they start to go higher again.

Beyond that there is a reason you are involved with the family right? a lot of the time these families are struggling to just hang in there. You are probably going to run into a lot of clients who have poor executive function, are not organized or have things happen that are disruptive. Try looking at it that they had the courtesy to text rather than just blowing you off. You can either look at the stuff that could be a positive or go raving mad in a short time. Learned this early in practice when I was in a twist about something. One of the older nurses pointed out troubled families are more likely to totally blow you off so if they acknowledge you that is a mark that you are doing something right.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I'd call whichever department at the school handles the privileges for the portal and the shared apps / app store whatever it is. Call IT and explain what's going on -- they may just turn it back on for you; at worst they'll point you to wherever you have to go to fill in form 328-B-88Ca(3) to give them a work order to do it.
      Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      We got an email telling us that Office 365 is experiencing some sort of issue that is system wide.
      Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      You might be frustrated but it would be a good idea to figure out how to put that kind of stuff in a box in your head. It is not unusual for parents to find out things when the kids get off the bus. Can't count all the times the parents called us at about that time or even a bit later to have the kid be seen. Also fevers are cyclic and that is the time they start to go higher again.

Beyond that there is a reason you are involved with the family right? a lot of the time these families are struggling to just hang in there. You are probably going to run into a lot of clients who have poor executive function, are not organized or have things happen that are disruptive. Try looking at it that they had the courtesy to text rather than just blowing you off. You can either look at the stuff that could be a positive or go raving mad in a short time. Learned this early in practice when I was in a twist about something. One of the older nurses pointed out troubled families are more likely to totally blow you off so if they acknowledge you that is a mark that you are doing something right.
      Huh. Never thought of it that way.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Yeah, I'd agree that if they reached out, even if late, they are trying.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
          Yeah, I'd agree that if they reached out, even if late, they are trying.
          And it turned out okay. Tonight, I covered the front desk, and will cover the desk tomorrow. We have a "24 Hour Rule" that says the kid must be free of sickness WITHOUT medication for 24 hours before sessions can resume. Tomorrow afternoon, I'll check back in.
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

My coworker is driving me crazy. I want her to come down with an illness and just be gone for like a week or something so I can regain my sanity.

In theory, my workload should be lighter with her here, as she can, and should, do most of the day to day tasks in our department. In actuality I think she spends significantly less time working than I do. What's the worst part, is that her time not working is usually chatting with someone (unfortunately I am often the victim) so not only is she wasting her time, but she ends up wasting another employee's time.

Our boss noticed the other day that coworker had punched in and yet wasn't at her desk, hadn't even turned her computer on. I said I saw her talking to someone in Sales. She had been here 40 minutes and hadn't made it to her desk. Was talking to someone that there is no business reason for her to talk to. It wouldn't be bad if this was occasional....but it's constant. Even when she talks about something work related, it takes 3 times longer than it should and half the time I get more confused the more she talks.

If I could just have a few days without her, I feel like I could get caught up on my work, and get all of her stuff caught up too.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G
            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
            2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
              My coworker is driving me crazy. I want her to come down with an illness and just be gone for like a week or something so I can regain my sanity.

In theory, my workload should be lighter with her here, as she can, and should, do most of the day to day tasks in our department. In actuality I think she spends significantly less time working than I do. What's the worst part, is that her time not working is usually chatting with someone (unfortunately I am often the victim) so not only is she wasting her time, but she ends up wasting another employee's time.

Our boss noticed the other day that coworker had punched in and yet wasn't at her desk, hadn't even turned her computer on. I said I saw her talking to someone in Sales. She had been here 40 minutes and hadn't made it to her desk. Was talking to someone that there is no business reason for her to talk to. It wouldn't be bad if this was occasional....but it's constant. Even when she talks about something work related, it takes 3 times longer than it should and half the time I get more confused the more she talks.

If I could just have a few days without her, I feel like I could get caught up on my work, and get all of her stuff caught up too.
              The underlined/bolded is my Head Boss. Holy crap, he'll speak 50 words when 5 will do. Drives me nuts.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Door Dash would be great if it wasn't for the customers. I get a $3-4 base pay plus whatever tip. Yet, some customers don't tip.

Comment

Door Dash would be great if it wasn't for the customers. I get a $3-4 base pay plus whatever tip. Yet, some customers don't tip.
                  Do they know to tip? Serious question. Maybe they think it's all part of the service fee.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Do they know to tip? Serious question. Maybe they think it's all part of the service fee.
                    I'm sure some think that. I'm sure there are others who think they shouldn't have to tip because they're ordering fast food. Which is fine if you're picking it up yourself, but BS if MT is delivering it to them. And I'm sure given where MT lives, she's also running into a few stingy old fcks who always find an excuse not to tip, even when they eat at a sit-down place.

Comment

It depends on the customer. A couple customers have handed me $10-$15 in cash. However, some customers may not know that. I can't read minds.

Then again, I'd like to see higher base pay per delivery and decrease the need for tips. Or go to a pay per hour method like Panera Bread.

Comment

Fade, the gas comes out of my pocket, which is what really sucks about people who don't tip.

Comment

Fade, the gas comes out of my pocket, which is what really sucks about people who don't tip.
                          Yes I know, and it's the same for rideshare drivers. Last week in ATL, a guy picked me up at the airport and was bummed to see I was only going to one of the airport hotels on the north side. He'd been waiting in the rideshare queue for almost an hour, and Uber was supposed to move him to the front of the line on his next ride from the airport because of my short trip. I left him a good tip regardless.

Comment

So I have options. I think I'm going to quit due to unreliability with DD, both on business and on income. There are times I sit in the Aldi parking lot for an hour or so waiting for a run, and with the chance of not being tipped, it's simply not worth it any more.

My other options include working the front desk with my job (they pay $10/hour for the role), and substitute teaching.

Comment

I'm really tired of hearing the words "be patient" and "hang in there," especially when it comes to my right foot. It seems like no one wants to understand, they just want to offer trite, meaningless nonsense.

Comment

Today, I learned someone has been playing with my account and signed me up for bill pay. Tomorrow, I need to go in and fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X