No announcement yet.

Global War on Terror 9: Winter Is Here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Global War on Terror 9: Winter Is Here.

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    All the idiot had to do was stay in the original Iran Deal.
    He has to p-ss on everything Obama did. He's the weak pharaoh who must efface all the reminders of better men who came before.
    Last edited by Kepler; 01-03-2020, 01:01 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I just finished Dan Carlin’s Blueprint for Armageddon about WWI a few days ago. I had a thought cross my mind this morning.

I don’t think this will start WW3 necessarily, but let’s consider for a moment this would be the first WW where Russia is not and would not be on the Allies’ side.

That’s a thought that should cross every president’s mind with every military action he or she makes.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Russia isn't worth anything except as a sponge to soak up German blood. They are not going to go head to head with the US. They probably could not even defeat the EU.

The regional dictatorships (Russia, Iraq, Saudi, North Korea, China, Turkey, soon maybe India and even Brazil) are not aggressive beyond a modest local sphere. They want to maintain totalitarian and hermetic control over their populations -- they don't even have the ideology of "the volk" the way Mussolini, Hitler, and the GOP do.

So this would not be a "world" war unless you count say the Seven Years' War as a world war. There is only one global aggressor nation right now and we're standing on it.

This would be a (massively destructive and stupid) strategic resource war, like Japan's invasion of Manchuria or Iraq's invasion of Iran. It would not even be a proxy war since Russia is too weak to be considered anything more than a regional troublemaker like Iran.
        Last edited by Kepler; 01-03-2020, 09:32 AM.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Blowing up the Iranian general is nothing but push-button showmanship, and will lead to more gross violence. No thank you.

Want to send a message of reach and power?

Have the SEAL pull the bag off of Soleimani's head when he's sitting in a chair in front of the Resolute desk. Politely inform him that his continued killing of US forces is no longer tolerable. Have the SEALs publicly frog-march him to Joint Base Andrews and airlift (air drop?) him back to Tehran very much alive.

Let the Iranians do with him as they will (because how do you now trust Soleimani if he was in DC and sent back).
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I just finished Dan Carlin’s Blueprint for Armageddon about WWI a few days ago. I had a thought cross my mind this morning.

I don’t think this will start WW3 necessarily, but let’s consider for a moment this would be the first WW where Russia is not and would not be on the Allies’ side.

That’s a thought that should cross every president’s mind with every military action he or she makes.
            And where would the Chinese fall into alignment.

More talk. Less blowing people up.
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
              Have the SEAL pull the bag off of Soleimani's head when he's sitting in a chair in front of the Resolute desk. Politely inform him that his continued killing of US forces is no longer tolerable. Have the SEALs publicly frog-march him to Joint Base Andrews and airlift (air drop?) him back to Tehran very much alive.
              Now I want you to imagine the same scenario with Hezbollah and the US SecDef.

Please stop watching television. It rots the brain.
              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Russia isn't worth anything except as a sponge to soak up German blood. They are not going to go head to head with the US. They probably could not even defeat the EU.

The regional dictatorships (Russia, Iraq, Saudi, North Korea, China, Turkey, soon maybe India and even Brazil) are not aggressive beyond a modest local sphere. They want to maintain totalitarian and hermetic control over their populations -- they don't even have the ideology of "the volk" the way Mussolini, Hitler, and the GOP do.

So this would not be a "world" war unless you count say the Seven Years' War as a world war. There is only one global aggressor nation right now and we're standing on it.

This would be a (massively destructive and stupid) strategic resource war, like Japan's invasion of Manchuria or Iraq's invasion of Iran. It would not even be a proxy war since Russia is too weak to be considered anything more than a regional troublemaker like Iran.
                Fair enough, but there were several countries that were just troublemakers but required sides in WWI to address them when they popped up. It opened additional fronts and required resources be spent.

I’m trying to find the exact section of the Hardcore History episode where he talked about this kind of thing.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Fair enough, but there were several countries that were just troublemakers but required sides in WWI to address them when they popped up. It opened additional fronts and required resources be spent.

I’m trying to find the exact section of the Hardcore History episode where he talked about this kind of thing.
                  Certainly. And even a localized regional war will be devastating if your family is living there. And every war no matter how insignificant can (will?) spawn terrorists with global reach (c.f. Chechnya).

"Jaw jaw is always better that war war." We should always be looking to ratchet down the rhetoric. We should never escalate. Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
                  Cornell University

Comment

With Iran as well.

Our adversaries have been moving faster because nobody wants to miss this window when the US has no leadership. I expect all the bad actors will do everything they can to win themselves another four years of free rein.
                    Hey we are helping their efficiency!
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Now I want you to imagine the same scenario with Hezbollah and the US SecDef.

Please stop watching television. It rots the brain.
                      The difference?

Capability.

Hezbollah can only blow things up.

We're better than that and should behave accordingly.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        Certainly. And even a localized regional war will be devastating if your family is living there. And every war no matter how insignificant can (will?) spawn terrorists with global reach (c.f. Chechnya).

"Jaw jaw is always better that war war." We should always be looking to ratchet down the rhetoric. We should never escalate. Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
                        How’d that work out with Germany in the 30’s? I don’t entirely disagree with you, but it’s important to recognize that you don’t always have control of the situation.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          How’d that work out with Germany in the 30’s? I don’t entirely disagree with you, but it’s important to recognize that you don’t always have control of the situation.
                          Putin and Xi and MBS and Lil Kim are Mussolinis, not Hitlers. They can cause problems but they have trouble even kicking Ethiopia's as-s.

The analogy to stopping Germany in the 30s is stopping the GOP. They are the fanatical power who has access to weapons with global reach. The American right is the only existential threat to life on Earth.

With them I quite agree. Do not appease, do not negotiate. Contain and eradicate.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Putin and Xi and MBS and Lil Kim are Mussolinis, not Hitlers.
                            I wouldn't place Xi there. You can afford to be a bit tactically incompetent when you have 1.3 billion people to use.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                              I wouldn't place Xi there. You can afford to be a bit tactically incompetent when you have 1.3 billion people to use.
                              Completely agree, and the trend isn’t out friend as far as they are concerned. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they are behind a lot of what is going on with Nork Korea too.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                Blowing up the Iranian general is nothing but push-button showmanship, and will lead to more gross violence. No thank you.

Want to send a message of reach and power?

Let the Iranians do with him as they will (because how do you now trust Soleimani if he was in DC and sent back).
                                lol. You know the TV show 24 wasn't real, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X