Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NWHL Announcement Event On Tuesday In Saint Paul

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    I grew up by the ocean. Minnesota does NOT have whitecaps!!
    Shoot in Minnesota you can even MAKE your own whitecaps in springtime!

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...lake/413658169
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Or go surfing the old-fashioned way...

https://www.outsideonline.com/206686...-lake-superior

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        Oh come on! Now you're just making up words!! The next thing you're going to tell me is the State of Hockey has its own Navy for all these lakes with their notoriously humungous waves!

No Navy, but some fairly large game wardens. The guy up at Orr, Minnesota beat me out for a job there back in the 70's by the ease with which he flipped 150 pound sand bags into the back of a truck. The bags represented a dead deer for example on Highway 53 or such. I did get another job with the State that was less physically taxing (pardon the pun). I met him once on Pelican Lake while fishing, nice guy.
        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

the Coast Guard is on Lake Superior

to keep tabs on all that riff raff from up North

in many ways the smaller crest waves can be a bigger threat since the wavelelength is also shorter, IOW they arrive with less time between them which can play havoc on a boat

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
            in many ways the smaller crest waves can be a bigger threat since the wavelelength is also shorter, IOW they arrive with less time between them which can play havoc on a boat
            In my spare time, when I'm not watching hockey, I've been watching this one:
            https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/s...at-sea/1005669

And especially this one:
            https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/s...-disasters/802

Comment

the Coast Guard is on Lake Superior

to keep tabs on all that riff raff from up North

Yes, the USCGC Sundew was stationed in Duluth for over 40 years. The captain of the Sundew spoke to our men's group in Eveleth in the 80's and invited us all onboard for a tour of the ship. He had several interesting stories about patrolling the Big Lake and of course the tragedy of the Edmund Fitzgerald was discussed. Don't think he mentioned whitecaps, but I'm sure he saw a few.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                There are quite a few lakes where you need to pay attention to the wind if you're out in a small boat. Or in the case of Superior, even an ocean-going vessel.

That's only so hockey can be played on them.
                Michael Buble' mentioned tonight at the Xcel that Minnesota has over 11,000 lakes and that was good because it provides more ice for hockey. He also said he learned about two things from his grandfather who just passed away at 93, music and hockey. At the request of his son he had the whole arena singing the Ole' song which I guess is played after a goal is scored up in Canada. My wife informed me that he has a backyard ice rink at his home in Canada. He said it was kind of strange performing in a hockey arena, but that he also feels very at home here.

There were several more hockey references and he opened with the song, "Feeling Good." Don't know if that was a reference to the Gophers chances in the Frozen Four, or not.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                  Michael Buble' mentioned tonight at the Xcel that Minnesota has over 11,000 lakes . . .
                  Yeah, but 2,500 of them are just potholes large enough to be mistaken for lakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                    Yeah, but 2,500 of them are just potholes large enough to be mistaken for lakes.
                    Yeah, but they make a good place for the Little Chippers to begin their skating when they freeze over.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                      "Minnesota is the “Land of 10,000 Lakes”, but there are actually 11,842 lakes that are 10 acres or more in size and 21,871 lakes that are over 2.5 acres in size."

https://www.bing.com/search?q=minnes...FORM=QBRE&sp=1

Comment

But we now know that NONE of these lakes has EVER had anything roll across its surface that is worthy of being called a whitecap. And I know better than to ask if any of our ski hills can be called mountains.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          And I know better than to ask if any of our ski hills can be called mountains.
                          Well you knew this was coming - not all that far away from your old stomping grounds!''

https://www.lutsen.com/

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            "Minnesota is the “Land of 10,000 Lakes”, but there are actually 11,842 lakes that are 10 acres or more in size and 21,871 lakes that are over 2.5 acres in size."

https://www.bing.com/search?q=minnes...FORM=QBRE&sp=1
                            and that's the key, WI to nobody's surprise claims to have more lakes, but that's becasue they consider any cow pee hole a lake, they have about half as many real lakes as MN
                            Florida also claims to have more lakes, but there definition of a lake is pretty loose

then there is Ontario & Manitoba, with so many lakes many don't even have names, although again to nobody's surprise Quebec claims to have more than either although again, their definition of a lake is pretty loose

Comment

Florida also claims to have more lakes, but there definition of a lake is pretty loose.
                              Then let's tighten it up a bit.

On a real lake you can swim, fish, water ski, tube... Any gator-infested body of water is DQed. Swimming pools don't count either.

Comment

Possible expansion to Seattle? Would all the teams be able to absorb the significantly higher travel expenses?

NHL franchise in hand, the push to bring women’s professional hockey to Seattle begins in earnest
                                https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...ns-in-earnest/

Comment

Working...
                                X