Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NWHL Announcement Event On Tuesday In Saint Paul

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Wow is right. The potential slander liability Campbell and Sportsnet put themselves in is mind boggling. (Not to mention, anyone with half a brain would realize what Campbell said made absolutely no legal or common sense whatsoever.)
    Can a US company with no business operations in Canada sue a Canadian for slandering them on a Canadian media outlet to a Canadian audience? I don't know enough Canadian or international law to even begin to guess...

Comment

didn't there mother teach them to take the high road? this is not a good look for the PA

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
        Can a US company with no business operations in Canada sue a Canadian for slandering them on a Canadian media outlet to a Canadian audience? I don't know enough Canadian or international law to even begin to guess...
        Ultimately, if you go all the way up the food chain, the parent company is Rogers Communications, Inc. And they signed the TV rights deal for Canada with the NHL, which of course does business and has offices in the U.S. Plus, Rogers trades on the NYSE. I'm sure that's enough for savvy lawyers.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...Hw7HgkPFZ8ALJk

Comment

• Wow, what an excellent option! Time to get back into game shape and head to Russia to play in a pro league that sounds more legit than the CWHL or NWHL.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              Wow, what an excellent option! Time to get back into game shape and head to Russia to play in a pro league that sounds more legit than the CWHL or NWHL.
              "American players note other cultural differences in Russia. For example, Llanes was one of several women invited to demonstrate skills at the KHL All Star Game, but she was told she had to get her hair and makeup done before going on the ice. The KHL put out a promotional calendar for the WHL -- which featured players posing naked, covered only by plants."

Somehow I don't think this would fly in any women's league here in North America. Would sure hope not.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                "American players note other cultural differences in Russia. For example, Llanes was one of several women invited to demonstrate skills at the KHL All Star Game, but she was told she had to get her hair and makeup done before going on the ice. The KHL put out a promotional calendar for the WHL -- which featured players posing naked, covered only by plants."

Somehow I don't think this would fly in any women's league here in North America. Would sure hope not.
                Maggie Souba, who graduated from UM in 2007, played in the Russian league after the NCAAs, and she spoke of cultural oddities that were similar, such as male staff members and others routinely wandering around in areas where the female players were nude or semi nude.

Also, I've heard that in both Russia and China, it is the norm for the fans to be smoking in the stands. That was likely the case in the U.S. as well at some point, but I don't remember it, and I've definitely never seen it at a women's hockey game.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  Also, I've heard that in both Russia and China, it is the norm for the fans to be smoking in the stands. That was likely the case in the U.S. as well at some point, but I don't remember it, and I've definitely never seen it at a women's hockey game.
                  I don't remember people smoking in the stands either, but smoking in the concourse area (where the bathrooms and concessions were located) was very routine at the old Mariucci Arena, where the Gopher men played. In its later years those who smoked were forced to do so outside.

OK, back to topic on all things related to women's pro hockey.

Comment

I've heard that in both Russia and China, it is the norm for the fans to be smoking in the stands. That was likely the case in the U.S. as well at some point, but I don't remember it, and I've definitely never seen it at a women's hockey game.
                    I don't remember people smoking in the stands either, but smoking in the concourse area (where the bathrooms and concessions were located) was very routine at the old Mariucci Arena, where the Gopher men played. In its later years those who smoked were forced to do so outside.
                    One more on smoking in the stands:

As a matter of history, I believe this occurred in North America, but probably back in the Original 6 era. No first hand memories for me either.

I have, however, read old stories from those days and recall one from Maple Leaf Gardens. At least on Saturday nights, Leafs games were considered a "big night out." Men would go to the games in coat & tie. Women dressed up as if they were going to nice restaurant. And, IIRC, smoking was part of that scene. Just as it would have been at the nice restaurants back then.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                      At least on Saturday nights, Leafs games were considered a "big night out." Men would go to the games in coat & tie. Women dressed up as if they were going to nice restaurant.
                      And then the Leafs went from being a nice restaurant to more of an Old Country Buffet or Chucky Cheese.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

And then the Leafs went from being a nice restaurant to more of an Old Country Buffet or Chucky Cheese.

Comment

4 questions about the state of women’s professional hockey, answered
                          https://www.boston.com/sports/nhl/20...ockey-all-star

“At the end of the day, I’m playing for those little girls in the stands who are buying jerseys and are maybe the only girl on their boys’ teams,” Jordan Juron told The Athletic. “We are trying to give those girls something to look to and have hopes and dreams to reach."

Comment

On the globetrotting Alex Carpenter:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/s...ns-hockey.html
                            Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 02-08-2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

OK, back to topic on all things related to women's pro hockey.
                              wasn't that true of the Met Center also in the early days?

I should remember this, I worked there, I do not remember people smoking in the arena, but I thought for sure on the concourse ... although maybe I am confusing it with the old barn

as for a the All Star night, I was home flipping though channels and came across the UMD-UND game, never turned it back to the NHL, in fact I've watched quite a number of those games now, it's like the good 'ol days when the Gopher men's team was on the tube and played in the WCHA

I also notice, much to my surprise, there is still football on TV ????
                              this is not good for the women who hope for a league where they can support themselves without the tips earned at IHOP
                              I barely watch the NFL and REALLY can't understand why anyone would watch a league that is probably below the CFL
                              but then I don't sit at Ridder with my head burried in an iPhone either, so what do I know?
                              Last edited by pokechecker; 02-11-2020, 12:41 PM. Reason: which can MN claim more to: Super Bowl losers or presidential candiate losers?

Comment

Jr. Preds coach signs contract with NWHL team

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports...with-nwhl-team

Comment

Working...
                                X