NWHL Announcement Event On Tuesday In Saint Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NWHL Announcement Event On Tuesday In Saint Paul

"Whitecaps goalie Amanda Leveille is so talented, she'd be rich and famous in a more lucrative sport. But she's dedicated to the game and trying to help it grow to financial sustainability."

Winning Whitecaps players also optimistic about the success of their sport
    http://www.startribune.com/winning-w...ort/568615742/
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

"Turns out, the Whitecaps had just the player who can make things happen quickly: Allie Thunstrom."

Whitecaps beat Riveters 1-0 in overtime in playoff semifinals
      http://www.startribune.com/whitecaps...nal/568611012/

Comment

https://apnews.com/846dc905c159b4057abe32309eb15def

I never know if my pasted links will actually link but apparently the NW is expanding in Toronto, led by Digit Murphy and backed by Boston Pride owner. This the third time NW has teased coming to Canada so take it with a grain of salt. My initial reaction is to say that’s a good thing, but I also stand by my previous criticism that the NW streams vary in quality so much to the point some are unwatchable and I would like them to remedy that.

I’m still waiting and listening and trying to support the ForTheGame group, but I’m getting lost somewhere. They seem downright supportive of NW at this point but also want nothing to do with them and I’m just getting confused. It feels like basically the PW (or maybe me) put weight in what the NHL said, what Campbell and Burke said... but it turns out it was all a lie? Would it make sense to pay some lawyers to just mediate this fight between PW and NW, hopefully reconcile and get on with women’s hockey? And I know that Coronavirus complicates everything but even if Coronavirus didn’t happen and Canada won gold at home ( ;-) ) as planned...what would the conversation be in women’s pro hockey right now?

What do you guys think? Any pro women’s hockey thoughts these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
          What do you guys think? Any pro women’s hockey thoughts these days?
          My totally uninformed thought is that as far as the NHL is concerned, Covid-19 will push thoughts of women's pro hockey to the back burner, and given it was probably there already, more like right off of the stove. The NHL will be busy worrying about its own league, for the next couple of seasons at least. I don't see any model that relies on substantial outside investment getting off the ground in the short term, because there will be higher-priority causes to champion. I think that the PWHPA is going to have to be a patient bunch. Or maybe the virus isn't that big of a deal in Canada, and I'm way off.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
            My totally uninformed thought is that as far as the NHL is concerned, Covid-19 will push thoughts of women's pro hockey to the back burner, and given it was probably there already, more like right off of the stove. The NHL will be busy worrying about its own league, for the next couple of seasons at least. I don't see any model that relies on substantial outside investment getting off the ground in the short term, because there will be higher-priority causes to champion. I think that the PWHPA is going to have to be a patient bunch. Or maybe the virus isn't that big of a deal in Canada, and I'm way off.
            Yes I think the same ARM. I miss hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              Players coming out of college should not put in a situation of choosing the PWHL over the NWHL because if they don't they will not be considered a National team prospect. Let's not forget the PW Olympians are employees of USA hockey. They are being paid by USA hockey. What is in it for the players who join their PW union. What are they getting a few showcases for another year? Then what. Players just want to play. Players in the NWHL want to play hockey. It should not be held against them because they didn't join the UNION. This not going to end well. I am sure there are a number of players on the PWHL rosters that want to play but fear doing it because they will be blacked balled.
              Have the National Hockey League come out with a statement indicating what model they are looking for them to get financial involved with Women's Professional Hockey. The NWHL is improving every day.

Comment

Originally posted by baseball fan View Post
                Players coming out of college should not put in a situation of choosing the PWHL over the NWHL because if they don't they will not be considered a National team prospect. Let's not forget the PW Olympians are employees of USA hockey. They are being paid by USA hockey. What is in it for the players who join their PW union. What are they getting a few showcases for another year? Then what. Players just want to play. Players in the NWHL want to play hockey. It should not be held against them because they didn't join the UNION. This not going to end well. I am sure there are a number of players on the PWHL rosters that want to play but fear doing it because they will be blacked balled.
                Have the National Hockey League come out with a statement indicating what model they are looking for them to get financial involved with Women's Professional Hockey. The NWHL is improving every day.
                There's one legit league and it's the NWHL. People should not look to the NHL to get involved, should ignore the PWHL holdouts and should support & play in the NWHL which has put in the work to keep women's professional hockey going. As far as I'm concerned, it's the PWHL'ers who should be blackballed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                  There's one legit league and it's the NWHL. People should not look to the NHL to get involved, should ignore the PWHL holdouts and should support & play in the NWHL which has put in the work to keep women's professional hockey going. As far as I'm concerned, it's the PWHL'ers who should be blackballed.
                  Unfortunately the NHL got involved when they setup the 3x3 tourney and only picked Union players.

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                    I will, again, point out that this depends upon being paid far too little to actually live on constituting being a professional. And, in a sense, that's true. I consider myself a professional writer despite never having been paid enough from it to support myself even for a week. But, in a lot of ways, that really means it's more like a hobby. The NWHL is a semi-pro league. To think of it as an actual professional league is to grossly misunderstand what it really is.
                    Last edited by Still Eeyore; 04-16-2020, 06:37 AM.

Comment

To me at least, I’m just relieved there’s a green light from the PW to support both groups. I definitely believe in the PW’s stance that they deserve more etc, and support their efforts to increase visibility, and am glad we learned where the NHL stood. There’s no question their actions forced the NW to improve itself last year if it wanted to continue to exist. The state of pro women’s hockey in Canada right now has to be a
                      major concern for the PW group and Canadian women’s hockey fans nonetheless. No showcases out west last year for example. If they are steadfast in their commitment one has to guess the earliest for a league at this time is fall 2022, post Olympics. Yikes.

In the mean time we’ll see what comes of the NW. I’m very curious to know if they even lobby USA Hockey for partnerships and collaboration. Rylan is so connected in some ways (handing out awards at Worlds in 2019, NHL partnerships) but cut off at the source in other ways: USA Hockey, the National team members. It’s tough to watch but I admire the resolve of those who truly care about women’s hockey and are trying to advance it.

I say all this but of course the other question is what women’s hockey will even look like in the fall. With no tv contract I’m not sure they can operate with truly empty arenas, the way a major pro sport could. Definitely tough times right now, in sports and at large.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                        The NWHL is a semi-pro league. To think of it as an actual professional league is to grossly misunderstand what it really is.
                        That's true, but I wonder if there is enough demand in the ticket-buying and game-viewing public for a legitimate pro league. Over the last 20 years, I haven't attended any male hockey games above high school, while I've been to more than 500 games played by female teams. Only one of those was a Whitecaps game that didn't include a college team. I get that the Whitecaps have created a nice, little niche market, but I think it is still a semi-pro market. If they can't compel me to attend, then it seems to lag behind the college game in that regard, and college teams wouldn't be able to run a fully-professional league with the size crowds that they attract.

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                        I say all this but of course the other question is what women’s hockey will even look like in the fall. With no tv contract I’m not sure they can operate with truly empty arenas, the way a major pro sport could. Definitely tough times right now, in sports and at large.
                        I think that they could, if the rest of the world were unchanged, but as you say, these are different times. They need sponsors who are willing to donate based on the goodwill that they get out of it, not the bottom line profits that can be made directly. The pool of charitable giving is going to go largely to those who need help to survive, be it with food, shelter, medical treatment, PPE, etc. There will likely be a big demand for TV contracts, but even that will depend on what advertisers can spend. I doubt that there will be much demand for tickets until there is a vaccine, and even then, some might reassess whether they want to spend hundreds to sit packed into a stadium with tens of thousands of people.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                          I will, again, point out that this depends upon being paid far too little to actually live on constituting being a professional. And, in a sense, that's true. I consider myself a professional writer despite never having been paid enough from it to support myself even for a week. But, in a lot of ways, that really means it's more like a hobby. The NWHL is a semi-pro league. To think of it as an actual professional league is to grossly misunderstand what it really is.
                          Semi-pro or not it's the only organized league of consequence. Better for the PW players to stop their holdout and put their energy into helping the NW make the jump to a higher status. Their high-profile names will only help the league's profile.

Comment

DEFENDER OF THE YEAR FINALIST AND THREE-TIME ALL-STAR AMANDA BOULIER IS BACK WITH THE WHITECAPS

https://www.nwhl.zone/news/defender-...ree-time-all-s

Comment

• FWIW: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/30/s...ne-season.html

Comment

• Well, well, well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/12/s...new-model.html

Comment

Working...
                                X