2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018-19 Penn State Nittany Lions

Penn State is back in action after their bye week, taking on RPI on the road on Friday and Saturday in Troy, NY.

RPI is another non-conference team that I know next-to-nothing about, other than that they have a great goalie in Lovisa Selander, who is back from her run at the Four Nations Cup with Team Sweden (along with Penn State's Jessica Adolfsson). Selander has a .946 save percentage and a 1.46 goals-against average, so Penn State will have to work hard to put pucks in the net if she's the RPI starter for the weekend. The other RPI goalie is Kira Bombay, but she's only seen a game against Brown and a game against Yale (and one period against St. Lawrence), so I expect Penn State will be dealing with Selander this weekend.

Penn State has done better on the road this season than they've done at home, with only a single win at Pegula Ice Arena this year, so hopefully they keep that streak up for at least one more weekend. I hope they come out blazing in both games and play the fast-paced physical game that they're very capable of. If Santa Claus comes early this year, maybe I'll get my wish of a Brooke Madsen/Natalie Heising/Katie Rankin line.

Friday's game is at 6:00 Eastern, and Saturday's game is at 3:00 Eastern, and both will be streamed on RPI TV at this link: http://rpitv.org/

Comment

Mallory Uihlein (Edina, MN) and Julie Gough (Newcastle, Ontario) signed their National Letters of Intent today - any insight on either of them is welcome.

Comment

Ulhlein is one of the Best D in MN.

Comment

Another recruit signing her National Letter of Intent is Rachel Weiss, a forward from Foothills, Alberta.

Freshman defender Jessica Adolfsson talks about her experience at the recent Four Nations Cup with Team Sweden, and playing hockey at Penn State: https://gopsusports.com/news/2018/11...py-valley.aspx

Puck drop at RPI in one hour (6:00 Eastern) at this link: http://rpitv.org/productions/1403-wo...-vs-penn-state

Comment

Penn State is up 4-0 on RPI after two periods on two power play goals and two even strength. Natalie Heising, Kelsey Crow, Sophie Slattery, and Izzy Heminger have the goals. RPI has pulled Lovinda Selander from the net and put Kira Bombay in.

Penn State is playing without sophomore Katie Rankin, who broke her hand in the last series against Syracuse, and also without junior Brooke Madsen, but I don't know why she's not dressed. Those two would be making things even more miserable for RPI. Shots on goal are 19-13 for Penn State.

Comment

Women's hockey should hire RPI to broadcast all games. Awesome job by their crew. That announcer was definitely not the b team.

Comment

No scoring in the third, so Penn State comes away with the 4-0 win, and Jenna Brenneman gets her first shutout as a Nittany Lion. Penn State led the shots on goal 27-22. No real surprises in this one, I guess.

One big difference tonight was seeing Penn State finally being much more decisive moving the puck out of their zone (most of the time). That's something that's been lacking all season, so it's good to see they've worked on that. It was a fast-paced game, and RPI didn't look bad, but they just couldn't get plays put together frequently enough. Penn State obviously didn't necessarily need Brooke Madsen tonight, but she is such a prolific shooter and so tenacious on the forecheck, so I have to wonder what the game would've looked like with her in the lineup. The power play finally looked like a power play, and the penalty kill was effective. All in all, a good showing from Penn State.

Back at it again tomorrow at 3:00 (Eastern) at this link: http://rpitv.org/productions/1404-wo...n-state-game-2

Comment

Don't get to carried away Zep ... Of course State looked liked they could move puck up ice...RPI did not take away time and space. That first bad goal by Selander created doubt in her head. Selander is not as big as I thought size wise. She must really stand on her head most games for RPI.
                  Last edited by Reddington; 11-16-2018, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                    Don't get to carried away Zep ... Of course State looked liked they could move puck up ice...RPI did not take away time and space. That first bad goal by Selander created doubt in her head. Selander is not as big as I thought size wise. She must really stand on her head most games for RPI.
                    I don't know how Selander missed that first goal, but Heising isn't going to miss from as close as she got on her goal, too.

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Penn State's game recap: https://gopsusports.com/news/2018/11...ut-of-rpi.aspx

Comment

Here's RPI's highlight video from tonight's game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTZG91kH4s

Comment

Thanks for posting that.

Comment

Link for video of today's matchup at RPI in an hour (3:00 Eastern): http://rpitv.org/productions/1404-wo...n-state-game-2

Comment

Penn State and RPI skate to a 1-1 OT tie. Lovisa Selander was much better in net today for RPI. The shots on goal were 36-16 for Penn State, which tells you how good a game Selander played. Jenna Brenneman also had a great game in net for Penn State, despite the shot count. Penn State had a lot of chances, especially at the end of regulation, but just couldn't find the back of the net. I wish there hadn't been so many stoppages for officials' timeouts - it seemed like every minute they were stopping again.

Kudos to RPI for putting out a really good broadcast this weekend, with a really good announcer, too.
                                Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 11-17-2018, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X