X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    When all is said and done they have put quite a few in the net like this weekend against an elite goalie.
    After watching MSU play four games in two weekends against three different opponents, I still think that this is the best Mavericks team I've seen in nine years, but Levy looked well short of elite in those four games.

Comment

This weekend, we had a tale of two Potomaks. Amy went from doing little things centering Williamson and Woken to having a dominant series. That whole line looked great, though they came out with a +/- of 0 when it was all over.

Sarah, on the other hand, was visibly frustrated when she got back to the bench after most of her shifts. I'm wondering if she's still injured.

Comment

Three things we read, drank and heard on our trip to Mankato today.

3. In the Mavericks Official Gameday Program of this weekend's games with Minnesota they listed for Minnesota, Head Coach: Nadine Muzerall. Record at OSU: 35-16-4. (2nd YR.) Career Record: 35-16-4 (2nd Yr). The only thing I can figure is that it must have been her first 2 games with Minnesota as Head Coach this weekend, but I would have sworn it was still Brad Frost on the Gopher's bench.

2. The hot chocolate was hotter, less expensive and in a larger container than at Ridder, but alas, not better. Although a half of a cup of coffee added to the remaining half cup of hot chocolate did improve the taste quite a bit.

1. We stopped at Pappageorge's Restaurant in Mankato before the game. Layla the waitress asked what we were doing in town and although I would have thought the three Gopher sweatshirts and one Gopher jersey the four of us were wearing would have been obvious I explained we were there for the Gopher's women's hockey game with Minnesota State. She replied that the Gophers were in their restaurant yesterday for lunch. And then she said and I quote, "They were the nicest and most polite hockey team we have ever had in our restaurant. And believe me we have had quite a few teams in here over the years." I explained that the coaching staff has always said they want to recruit not just good hockey players but good people as well, so we were not surprised to hear what she said. Then Layla added, "They were all very good looking girls, too."
        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 01-12-2019, 10:41 PM. Reason: MSU women's team is indeed getting better.
        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

I was up really early this morning to watch the USA vs Canada U18 Women's world championship gold medal game live. Canada winds up winning the Gold medal with an overtime goal 3-2. Gopher recruits Anne Cherkowski scored for Canada and the Human Highlight Film (Abbey Murphy) scored for USA. Maggie Nicholson assisted on the first USA goal by Makenna Webster.

More negatively, penalties on Sydney Shearen in the middle of the 3rd period allowed Canada to score the tying goal to make it 2-2 and Abbey Murphy's penalty in overtime led to the game winning goal by Maddi Wheeler.

Skylar Vetter was the Goaltender of record in all 5 USA games in this tournament, winding up with a GAA of 1.59 and a save percentage of .922.
          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

It almost maddening to see how many very good chances to score they squander and yet...When all is said and done they have put quite a few in the net like this weekend against an elite goalie.
            IMO, they were pretty good in this regard yesterday. They deflected a lot of shots from the point that skittered just wide, and on several of their goals, they put in a lot of good, solid work to set the goal up and the finish was there. You can see the chemistry building on #9's line and #16's as well.

Still quite a bit of improvement that can be made in their offensive game as certain players are just not producing that should be producing.
            It is almost painful to watch #19 and #26 on some shifts, because you can tell that they want it so bad, but it just isn't happening. I'm not sure that either could score on a funnel. Not easy to do, but I think both have to relax, concentrate on the rest of their games, and just let the scoring come via hard work. I don't envy Skaja, because every time she gets the puck a linemate is hollering for it, and then she gives it to them, and either the pass doesn't connect or they flub the chance. I'd suggest busting the whole line up for a fresh start, but at this point, it is more important to leave the other lines alone, because they look very good. It is strange to think that the Gophs have two players with 100+ points and that's the duo that is stuck in neutral. Although, I guess #3 is pointless for 2019. She's had her best moments when on the fourth line. Long term, it might be better to swap her and 21, but it might just spread the slumping instead of resolving it if that change was made now.

And then on the defensive side, if they could cut down on the turnovers in their own zone...
            I thought that they were better yesterday; at least they weren't putting the puck on a tee very often. On the first goal against on the PK, #6 had a chance to clear early after the faceoff, didn't get it out, and they never did. There were about three straight sequences with shots and second-chance opportunities, and it proved to be one such play too many. Up until then, the Gophers had controlled the game, but that goal gave the Mavericks life, and their play ascended. Scobee missed on a chance for a cover to start the scrum for the second goal, and then there were too many in maroon and gold around her trying but not doing. The goal against on the tip? It happens.

Overall, I liked how UM responded in the long term. The Woken goal was huge to get the lead back to 2 by the second intermission.

This is a special team. Yes, they still have a lot to clean up, but they are very fun to watch. We focus heavily on the mistakes, but they do so many things right, and a number of them have incredible skill sets. Zum makes it look so easy, but she had maybe a 6x6 target to hit on her PP goal, and she hit it. I know D2D thinks they go to that well too often, but I could watch that play all day. Meanwhile, I think that both 9 and 16 are just scratching the surface of what they'll do before their careers are done.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              IZum makes it look so easy, but she had maybe a 6x6 target to hit on her PP goal, and she hit it. I know D2D thinks they go to that well too often, but I could watch that play all day.
              As soon as she scored I knew this was coming!

Meanwhile, I think that both 9 and 16 are just scratching the surface of what they'll do before their careers are done.
              Totally agree. They each have amazing skill, and it seems we are seeing more and more of that skill with each passing weekend.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I apologize for repeating this if I have already said it but the only thing holding Grace Zumwinkle back is Grace Zumwinkle. Her shooting the puck is rarely ever a bad idea.

I'm not sure about qualifying this statement as I haven't been following the team as long as some of the rest of you but to me, this is the best shooting Gopher team collectively I have seen. I think that is reflected in the balanced scoring as they have 12 players with double digit points.

Comment

I'm not sure about qualifying this statement as I haven't been following the team as long as some of the rest of you but to me, this is the best shooting Gopher team collectively I have seen.
                  The blue line for the 2012-13 team might tip it in their favor. The current D corps doesn't have a Bozek, and that earlier team also had Jalosuo, McMillen, and Ramsey. Neither Gillanders nor Stecklein was at her peak then, but those six still have an advantage over the current group. If you confine it to forwards, I'd agree with you. Brandt and Kessel were great, and there were several others who finished effectively, but not the same depth as now.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

2013/14 was pretty good at putting it in the net, probably the most balanced lines of all time, and though the blueline wasn’t deep, two of them made All-American ( and getting AA status is largely based on putting the puck in the net) and the third was pretty good too.

The fact that they are winning without 26 & 19 scoring as most would have thought is a good sign, imagine when they do get their mojo back. Recall that in 2012/13 Davis couldn’t buy a goal and Terry wasn’t in much better shape. Both scored when it really counted.

Somebody said a few weeks ago that Heise isn’t a 4th line player, true, but the fourth line really isn’t a fourth line either. Somebody else asked who should be with 26 & 19. If they are going to keep playing 4 lines (and why would you stop?) then it makes sense that it not be Heise, she will be one of the centers in the future, so may as well play her there now. And who can argue with the results? The real question is which two forwards to play with her. Put the remaining one with 26 & 19.

Comment

The blue line for the 2012-13 team might tip it in their favor. The current D corps doesn't have a Bozek, and that earlier team also had Jalosuo, McMillen, and Ramsey. Neither Gillanders nor Stecklein was at her peak then, but those six still have an advantage over the current group. If you confine it to forwards, I'd agree with you. Brandt and Kessel were great, and there were several others who finished effectively, but not the same depth as now.
                      I was thinking about how the 2012-14 teams, the "streakers", compared to the current bunch as I was driving back yesterday. I agree on the earlier D, Ramsey, and McMillian, Bozek and Jalouso, were just plain exciting. Forwards were prime, especially when Terry joined the elite. But what I've been noticing that's encouraging, and it's been getting better all year, is that the current gals seem to be having fun on the ice. I have missed only one game/year since 2011, and remember the 2012-13 season as one where the team was all smiles, they were confident, and were good enough to know that they'd earned the privelege of making the game look effortless. I remember stretches of games that seemed as if they were coreographed by the Ice Capades staff. The current Gophers are gelling into something really special again,it's getting more like "old times" watching them play.

Comment

I agree. With a D corps that had 5 players at 6 ft or near it and Bozek who was maybe the best I ever saw they were quite an intimidating group.
                        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 01-13-2019, 05:20 PM. Reason: Love those tall defensemen (okay, that can skate well).

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                          I agree. With a D corps that had 5 players at 6 ft or near it and Bozek who was maybe the best I ever saw they were quite an intimidating group.
                          It didn't hurt to have Raty and Leveille in goal either.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                            You are going to like the Defensemen recruits coming in the next two years. All three (Madeline Wethington, Maggie Nicholson, and Josey Dunne) are at least 5'10" and have very good mobility.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              It didn't hurt to have Raty and Leveille in goal either.
                              That's for sure. No team that I know of ever had more pressure on them as a season wore on or handled it better than they did. Well, maybe the Dophins, but then they played 27 fewer games in their undefeated season than the Gophers did. Okay, maybe they're not comparable.
                              Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 01-13-2019, 06:34 PM. Reason: 1970 Cornell hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by fiveholefrenzy View Post
                                you are going to like the defensemen recruits coming in the next two years. All three (madeline wethington, maggie nicholson, and josey dunne) are at least 5'10" and have very good mobility.
                                oooooh!
                                Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 01-13-2019, 06:32 PM. Reason: My season ticket checks are on the way!

Comment

Working...
                                X