This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Taylor Williamson explains her tremendous recovery. On KSTP news sports segment today. Great story.

'Magic Man' Neil Sheehy helps Gophers forward Taylor Williamson return to peak form
    https://kstp.com/sports/neil-sheehy-...006/?cat=12531
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      Taylor Williamson explains her tremendous recovery. On KSTP news sports segment today. Great story.

'Magic Man' Neil Sheehy helps Gophers forward Taylor Williamson return to peak form
      https://kstp.com/sports/neil-sheehy-...006/?cat=12531
      Thanks for that amazing story about Taylor. I said hello to her grandfather and also Doug Woog at the Old Timers Hockey lunch a few weeks ago. WCHA commissioner Bill Robertson was the guest speaker and had a lot of nice things to say about WCHA women's hockey. Robertson said he still gets a lot of grief from fans of Gopher men's hockey though and rightfully so I would add.

Neil and his older brother Tim Sheehy were both very good hockey players at the Falls and later for BC and Harvard. I still can't believe Falls beat Johnson so decisively in that rematch game in '64.
      Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 12-22-2018, 12:24 AM. Reason: 7 goals! Unbelievable!
      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
        I still can't believe Falls beat Johnson so decisively in that rematch game in '64.
        Now why did you have to go and bring that up?

I have talked with Williamsons grandfather a few times, he played with Herbie at the U. He coached USA hockey a number of times & won Olympic silver in 1972. A genuinely nice guy and a hoot to talk to

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
          Now why did you have to go and bring that up?

I have talked with Williamsons grandfather a few times, he played with Herbie at the U. He coached USA hockey a number of times & won Olympic silver in 1972. A genuinely nice guy and a hoot to talk to
          Why? I was thinking about Tim Sheehy. Seven goals might have been more goals than Johnson gave up all year in the city conference games. And the 63' championship game is probably the best high school game I ever saw. Crupi, Shattuck and Hughes were very good, too.
          Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 12-22-2018, 09:28 AM. Reason: Best city line ever?

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
            Why? I was thinking about Tim Sheehy. Seven goals might have been more goals than Johnson gave up all year in the city conference games. And the 63' championship game is probably the best high school game I ever saw. Crupi, Shattuck and Hughes were very good, too.
            I was young, MY team was not supposed to lose like that!!!

Comment

I didn't realize how many (14!) former Gophers are playing professionally.

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/1...os-dec-27.aspx

Comment

Wow, they want $30 for this package deal - one ticket and a "Love Your Melon" beanie - for the upcoming Wisconsin game on January 18th.

https://gophersports.com/sports/2018...our-melon.aspx

Comment

Looking forward to the inaugural "Minnesota Cup" which makes it debut this Saturday and Sunday at Ridder.

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/1...esota-cup.aspx

Comment

Article previewing the tournament in today's Star Tribune. I loved the quote from Taylor Heise:
                    “If we all are doing our best, there is really no one who can stop us...”
                    Lots of confidence from the freshman!

Gophers women's hockey team to host first four-team Minnesota Cup
                    http://www.startribune.com/gophers-w...cup/503930192/

Comment

I'm not sure if that was the worst line change I've ever seen, or the worst line change in the history of hockey. And, somehow, it led to a goal the other way. The Gophers are very fortunate to get out of that period tied.

Comment

UMD commits the second worst line change of the game, and Williamson can score on that, too.

Comment

So something positive...Williamson and Zoom Boom. Zoom Boom's shot was so good that it looked to me like Rooney didn't really see it at all. I really don't think there is any other women's hockey player that can shoot the puck like she can which is why it was disappointing to see her pass the puck, instead of shooting on that late 2 on 1. Williamson, right now, is playing at a very high level...Great to see that from her.

There are times when you witness something at a hockey game and you can hardly believe that you just saw that. The line change that Still Eeyore mentioned was the worst I have ever seen and it resulted in a breakaway for UMD. Was it a 2 on 0 break? I don't remember. Anywho...It turned into an outhouse to penthouse play as Minnesota took it back the other way for a breakaway for A Potomak with Williamson right with her. Rooney made a great save but Williamson easily put in the rebound.

Number 19 (Pannek) and number 27 (Marshall) might have been UMD best players. There were the gifts that keep on giving...
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

None of the defensemen looked especially good today. Game winning goal notwithstanding, Knowles struggled almost as much as Marshall did. Hengler is usually steady, but made a number of errors. Ostertag may have been the best blueliner today.

All that said, UMD looked really good, other than the bad change that led to Williamson's second goal. Better finishing, and they win this game easily. Or better goaltending; Rooney wasn't horrible, but wasn't what we got used to a couple of years ago.

It feels like none of the gold medal Olympians that came back to college are having the kind of season that we were expecting.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                              It feels like none of the gold medal Olympians that came back to college are having the kind of season that we were expecting.
                              True...Hadn't thought about that too much until you wrote that as I would tend to only panic about Pannek. But other than Keller, who as a defensemen is bc's leading scorer, not much else to write home about.

I really think the shots in the second period were not correct for the Gophers. I'm pretty sure they had more than 4 shots on goal for the period.

One thing that really hampered the Gopher's offense all night was passing and receiving the puck. Seemed like deja vu of last year.
                              Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 01-05-2019, 10:44 PM.
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                Zoom Boom's shot was so good that it looked to me like Rooney didn't really see it at all.
                                From her reaction it looked to me like she didn't see Knowles game winning shot either. Screened maybe?
                                Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 01-05-2019, 10:44 PM. Reason: Sometimes you just win ugly and that's okay, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X