X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
    I’m not so sure that’s true, as you mentioned she seems to have good anticipation of how the play is unfolding and consequently looks slow simply because she is ahead of the action and doesn’t need to use speed to get there.

I can think of two instances where she has shown speed, late in the game Sunday a Husky had brought the puck in the zone on their left side accompanied by a team mate which drew both D to that side, a Husky coming in with speed just right of center received the puck and appeared to perhaps make it in un-opposed on goal, but Hengler who was the left D got there in time to deflect the puck away. I believe it was the exhibition, or maybe against Mercyhurst, where her D partner got beat and she chased the opponent down and poked the puck away.

In games her body language almost makes it seems like she’s bored, more like she’s in warm-ups waiting for the game to start, because she’s rarely moving fast, except to get from one zone to the other. It would be interesting to see a race between her and Pannek to see who can skate the slowest, yet still get the job done.
    I believe there is a guy on the Wild who looks like he gives half effort on the ice at all times. The only difference between Suter and Hengler is the Gopher girl can shoot

Comment

We're 14 games into the season and yet it still somewhat surprises me when #12 will sometimes get the puck and then suddenly show a remarkable burst of speed. At least I no longer lean over and tell my wife, "Wow, I didn't know Zumwinkle could skate that fast."

We've both been very impressed with freshman, #13, Crystalyn Hengler.
      Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 11-19-2018, 02:09 PM. Reason: First Zoom and then Sonic Boom?
      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
        We're 14 games into the season and yet it still somewhat surprises me when #12 will sometimes get the puck and then suddenly show a remarkable burst of speed. At least I no longer lean over and tell my wife, "Wow, I didn't know Zumwinkle could skate that fast."

Said this before, Zumwinkle has the best hands I have ever seen & that includes Kessel. Seriously I think everyone focuses on her slapshot but in close she is as deadly as anybody I can think of.

Hengler is a stunner. She has all the tools to be a USA D except for speed. It is not that she is slow but just a step or 2 off of elite speed. Knows her stuff out there, makes good choices and has a decent shot. I found myself just watching her Sunday for a couple of shifts, I think there is a huge upside and that would be amazing

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
          Said this before, Zumwinkle has the best hands I have ever seen ...
          I'll take Wendell.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            I'll take Wendell.
            Yes, indeed. She would have made a great baseball catcher. Oh, wait a minute...
            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 11-19-2018, 09:05 PM. Reason: Did she play basketball, too?

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
              We're 14 games into the season and yet it still somewhat surprises me when #12 will sometimes get the puck and then suddenly show a remarkable burst of speed. At least I no longer lean over and tell my wife, "Wow, I didn't know Zoomwinkle could skate that fast."

I believe that is what the Zoom in ZoomBoom is referring to

As good as her shot is, I like her speed. What I am really waiting for is to see her letting loose her clapper, using the defender as a screen, while skating at full speed from around the blue line. She sort of did it just inside the blue line a week ago against Bemidji, but wasn’t really going full speed, nor fully use the defender as a screen.

Best hands?? There have been a number of them but given the topic is ZoomBoom, I’m going to say what impressed me about Kelly Terry was her puck control at top speed. It’s one thing to have good control while cruising around in traffic, not so easy when you are breaking the sound barrier. Although the scorecard says she was the center, she really played like a right wing when she put the pedal to the metal, always coming up the right side about 8 feet off the wall.

Comment

BTW, is it only a coincidence that Hengler wears #13?
                a previous #13 blueliner never seemed to be in a particular hurry either

Comment

Benilde-St. Margaret's Retires Pannek's Jersey

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/1...gn=GopherDaily

https://kstp.com/news/minnesota-mome...chool/5152117/
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Knowles is back in the lineup today, sooner than I had expected.

I can't find the audio broadcast; every time I click on the link for it, I get the Live Stats page for the women's basketball game against Cornell. I haven't found a link that gets me where I want to go. Oh, gophersports.com, never change.

Based upon the TV broadcast with no sound, neither team looked sharp for about the first ten minutes, then the Gophers started to control the play. Six of their nine shots came on their one power play, though. They're now killing two minutes of 5-on-3. Let's just say that, by WCHA standards, these are some pretty marginal penalty calls.

And Wente puts them up 1-0 with a 5-on-3 shortie.

Comment

Williamson to Woken makes it 2-0 shortly after the penalties expired.

Comment

I'm having the same audio issue. Very nice breakaway goal by Wente. 14-5 Gophers in shots on goal.

Well, at least there's audio on the video highlights now on of the Vermont men's and women's basketball games. No audio on the Vermont men's hockey game highlights though. Guess they don't have any hockey broadcasters in Vermont. Okay, now there is audio on the highlights of the BU Vermont women's hockey game. Maybe a BU broadcast.
                        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 11-23-2018, 03:44 PM. Reason: Very nice video, too.

Comment

I've had Gophersports audio the whole time here:
                          https://gophersports.com/watch/?Live=1074&type=Live

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                            Six of their nine shots came on their one power play, though.
                            They ended the period with a 14-5 shot advantage. They would have over 20 if they stopped trying the long-distance one-timers that rarely are on goal!
                            But given their dominance in puck possession, it's hard to complain.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              I've had Gophersports audio the whole time here:
                              https://gophersports.com/watch/?Live=1074&type=Live
                              That link takes me to the basketball game.

Edit: It auto changes the URL to https://gophersports.com/watch/?Live=1141&type=Live and I can't find any way to keep it from doing so.
                              Last edited by Still Eeyore; 11-23-2018, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                                That link takes me to the basketball game.
                                That's where I hear Dan, so I don't know what to tell you. Maybe basketball clobbered the link.

Comment

Working...
                                X