This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

The WCHA has an announcement up about partnering with FloSports to stream all home games. The announcement tiptoes around the Big Ten teams, so I suppose BTN gets first dibs. Here's the article: http://www.wcha.com/women/pres1718/201808/aug1flo.php

I went to the FloSports site but did not readily find cost info. According to a Google search, an annual subscription is $150 and a monthly one is $20.

Comment

Meet the Newcomers: Taylor Heise

"I didn't know always know that I was going to end up being a Gopher, but once I visited I realized that the coaches are amazing and that the players have such connections with each other. The overall community of the University of Minnesota is amazing. Visiting here in the summer you can just tell that everyone loves it here. Being able to play with the best players in the country is an amazing opportunity. The coaching staff is absolutely amazing. I have had the luxury of being able to be coached by a few of them for a very long time now. I am beyond excited for the upcoming season; it's going to be a lot of fun."

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/8...lor-heise.aspx
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Meet the Newcomers: Taylor Heise

"I didn't know always know that I was going to end up being a Gopher, but once I visited I realized that the coaches are amazing and that the players have such connections with each other. The overall community of the University of Minnesota is amazing. Visiting here in the summer you can just tell that everyone loves it here. Being able to play with the best players in the country is an amazing opportunity. The coaching staff is absolutely amazing. I have had the luxury of being able to be coached by a few of them for a very long time now. I am beyond excited for the upcoming season; it's going to be a lot of fun."

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/8...lor-heise.aspx
        Looking forward to seeing Heise's impressive skill set although it will be interesting to see how well she adjusts to having less time with the puck on her stick than she is used to.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Waiting for D2D to post an AB "meet the newcomers"...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
            She has played at the highest levels and done just fine. Everyone thinks because she played High school hockey at class A it will take her a while to adjust. U-18 games vs Canada is pretty good competition as well as all the Spring and Fall Elite League Games. If anything some players may have to adjust to Heise, having the puck land on their stick from out of nowhere right by the net

Comment

"AB" as in Abigail Boreen

Meet the Newcomers: Abigail Boreen

"Who is the best hockey player you have ever played against? Cayla Barnes..."

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/8...il-boreen.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Fiveholio View Post
                She has played at the highest levels and done just fine. Everyone thinks because she played High school hockey at class A it will take her a while to adjust. U-18 games vs Canada is pretty good competition as well as all the Spring and Fall Elite League Games. If anything some players may have to adjust to Heise, having the puck land on their stick from out of nowhere right by the net
                Watching the U18 world championships she stood out there. I think she will be OK at the D-I level.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                  Watching the U18 world championships she stood out there. I think she will be OK at the D-I level.
                  Totally agree, although like almost all freshmen, however talented they may be, there will be an adjustment period as she acclimates to the much faster D-1 pace. But if she is paired with linemates who can develop the kind of offensive chemistry that all Gopher fans hope to see - one that was mostly uncharacteristically missing at times last season - that adjustment period to the D-1 level could prove to be very short.

I will also say that the biggest question for this season's team (IMO) is not so much can they produce offensively, but how well (or not-so-well) can they play a solid "shut down" team defensive game when needed? I don't think there's any question that the Gophers will be able to out-score most teams on their schedule, as they look to have tons of offensive skill on this season's team. But how well will they be able to defend when the puck is trapped in their own zone by teams with similar offensive capabilities? When it gets down to crunch time, I think that's the big question that will determine how far this team can go.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                    Your wait is over!

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/8...n-hengler.aspx

Comment

Thank you...

Comment

. . . I will also say that the biggest question for this season's team (IMO) is not so much can they produce offensively, but how well (or not-so-well) can they play a solid "shut down" team defensive game when needed? . . .
                        D was a problem last year and while I believe the team will have a lot of firepower this season it is the D that remains a concern. I'll steal a line from a novel I read about a hockey team, "We need defensemen that don't score".

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                          D was a problem last year and while I believe the team will have a lot of firepower this season it is the D that remains a concern. I'll steal a line from a novel I read about a hockey team, "We need defensemen that don't score".
                          There are no good novels about hockey.

Comment

Gophers 3, Canada U22 1

Incoming frosh Taylor Heise netted two goals and sophomore Grace Zumwinkle one to lead USA to a 4-1 victory in the opening game of the series.

Comment

Credit to two GPL posters who show 3 2004 birth-dates committing to Minnesota:

Farmington '04 F Claire Enright commits to Minnesota
                              Mahtomedi '04 D/F Allie Franco commits to Minnesota
                              Andover '04 F Madison Kaiser commits to Minnesota

Flipping recruits...The white van strikes again but this time for the men...
                              Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 08-17-2018, 12:49 PM. Reason: Finnish surprise

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                                There are no good novels about hockey.
                                Well, I misspoke, the novel was not really about hockey. But I didn't say it was good

Comment

Working...
                                X