X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Originally posted by dr.hook View Post

Listen Neverminder - Sticks and stones big guy. Ease it back a little... But hey, I suppose verbally committing 8th and 9th graders.. Sorry that makes them sound young. I mean 12 to 13 years old's is old enough in your book. I mean Frost looks to me he is blazing the path for the NCAA rule changes by his good examples for everyone. I bet you swallow that kool-aid often.

Looks like the boys are having the same good habits

https://www.twincities.com/2017/09/1...ts-to-gophers/
    I think a lot of college sports fans, not just college hockey fans, would be in agreement that the recruitment process is out of control. However, to make it like it's the Minnesota women's staff who is to blame sure does make it seem like you have an axe to grind. I know you "told" us you don't but your posting tells a different story.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
      I think a lot of college sports fans, not just college hockey fans, would be in agreement that the recruitment process is out of control. However, to make it like it's the Minnesota women's staff who is to blame sure does make it seem like you have an axe to grind. I know you "told" us you don't but your posting tells a different story.
      Yes recruiting happens early & changes are coming. In Minnesota’s defense, Wisconsin has actually been the early bird the last few years- offering 8th graders. As with all things hockey, Minnesota is just different. The top in state girls are earmarked early on (some would say too early) and Minnesota, Mankato, UMD coaches know who they are and start the conversations early because they can. Most of these girls want to stay in state so what’s the difference if they commit as freshmen or as juniors? It’s not going to change their minds. Minnesota is competing with UW and all of the other top programs to get elite commits so they’re just doing what everyone else is doing, legally. Until the rules change it would be reckless not to.

Comment

Heard it on the audio broadcast so I'll credit it to play-by-play guy...The pots and pan(s) line. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          Heard it on the audio broadcast so I'll credit it to play-by-play guy...The pots and pan(s) line. I like it.
          I LOVE that

I was stunned tonight, I still think Mercyhurst is a very good team, too good to lose 5-zip, they have a lot of talent. Maybe the Gophers are better than I expected.

Favorite goal of the night (and it was a tough choice) was Pannek stealing the puck, feeding AP who shot through defenders to get a pass off to SP who scored what seems to be her signature goal, dragging a blanket of defenders along close to the net and finding a hole in the goalie.

FOund this via twitter - you have to sit through a commercial first but it shows a lot of highlights
          https://kstp.com/sports/gopher-women...090175/?cat=81
          Last edited by ne7minder; 09-30-2018, 09:00 AM. Reason: add video link

Comment

I liked what Sydney Scobee had to say after Saturday's game:

"It's absolutely amazing to get the shut out," Scobee said. "Playing for this team is a dream, and playing in front of my family and friends is amazing. And with the team in front of me, I'm so confident. They work so well with me. We're always talking with each other, we're always saying we have each other's backs, and honestly it's a lot of confidence between all of us. The team is great in front of me, so they make it really easy."

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/9...x?path=whockey
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Congrats to Patti Marshall on being named the WCHA Defenseman of the Week!

http://www.wcha.com/women/articles/2...f-the-week.php

Comment

Dan Hamann (Voice of Gopher Women's Hockey) interviews Sarah Potomak before the Gophers' 5-0 win over Mercyhurst this past weekend.

Dan Hamann: Welcome back to Gopher Women's Hockey, as today my player interview will be with redshirted junior, Sarah Potomak. Sarah last year took the year off to be centralized with the Canadian National Team, and first of all, welcome back to campus! It has seemed like an eternity since we have seen you here. What's it been like since you got back?

Sarah Potomak: Thanks, it's been really fun. Being here with Amy and my roommates has been a blast, and being back with the girls, it feels like I've been gone a long time, but at the same time it feels like I never left. I felt like yesterday we all picked right back up where we left off last time.

DH: For the first time in college, you got to be paired up on the same line with your sister, Amy; it was magical almost. How long has it been since you've got to play with Amy on the same line, or even in the same game and what was that experience like last night?

SP: I think the last time we played together was on Team Canada for a couple games, but it was really fun. Amy and I have a lot of chemistry, as well as with Kelly from my sophomore year; we all just kind-of gel really well together.

DH: You mentioned Kelly there, officially dubbed the "Pots and Pan line," and you guys were fantastic. What is it about Kelly and you that makes it so magical?

SP: Kelly is a really special player. She makes everyone around her better. She can slow down the game and make really nice plays, and we just gel together really well. I know where she is on the ice, and I think she feels the same way.

DH: Good to have that first win under your belt in your first game. Started out a little shaky, but after the second period, it seemed like everyone caught their stride.

SP: Yeah, I think so. The first game, especially the first period, is always a little nerve-wracking, but after the first period, we all kind-of figured it out a little bit, and when he (Coach Frost) changed the lines up a bit, it set off a spark and we came out flying.

DH: Last year I got the chance to talk with your sister, Amy, and we talked about the experience with Team Canada, and I'm sure it was quite an honor, but it also had to be awfully tough getting the talk saying you won't be on the Olympic team. How did you react initially to the news?

SP: I was pretty devastated. My dad came out that same day and we drove back home together. It was nice, I was surrounded by my family for six months after, so that helped me a lot and got me back up on my feet. But now that I'm here, it's like another fresh start for hopefully the next four years.

DH: Did you want to stay away from the game for a while after the news? I know a lot of people would probably be in that same situation.

SP: Yeah, I think so. I was coaching little kids, so I was kind-of still in the game, just in a different role, but it was nice to take a step back. I worked my whole life for that, so this was the first time I took a break to reset.

DH: How about school wise? Were you able to do anything as far as keeping up with school work here at the University or other schoolwork that you were able to do? Now that you finally had some time to yourself, I'm sure there was a lot you could accomplish.

SP: Yeah, I took some Canadian courses, so when I come back I don't have to take a year to take any Canadian history or anything like that, so it was nice to get that done.

DH: And why was it so important that you had to take those?

SP: If I want to go back and teach in Canada, you need to have taken those courses.

DH: What about that profession draws you to becoming a teacher?

SP: I think I've always known that I wanted to be a teacher. There's something about kids that I just love being around and inspiring them. Every time I go into a classroom, I have an absolute blast and I really connect with kids. I want to do something fun for a career, so that's what I've chosen to do.

DH: Obviously I think coaching would be in your future as well?

SP: Yeah, hopefully. With teaching, there's a lot of flexibility to do other things, so coaching is definitely another option.

DH: I think another option for you is definitely playing professional hockey, which a decade ago wouldn't have been a possibility. Have you given that any thought?

SP: Yes, it's really cool to see how fast the game has taken off with the professional leagues. There are a lot of options. Hopefully by the time I graduate, we could maybe get it down to one league, but there are a lot of options. When I get there, I'll see where I want to go.

DH: How did you keep yourself in shape during your time off? I know if it were me, I'd be sitting on the couch, eating junk food and drinking soda. How did you use that time to stay in shape?

SP: After I got cut, I think I sat on the couch and ate soda and junk food for about a couple weeks, but after that I realized I needed to get back into shape. Working out was a way to get my mind off of things and keep myself active. I did a lot of running, which I really like to do.

DH: How about game-shape? Were there any pick up games that you were able to get into?

SP: Yeah, I did some drop in hockey with my dad and my brothers and Amy, so that was really fun. Then I had the August camp, which really helped me get in game-shape for this upcoming season.

DH: What would be your number one goal for this year once you get settled back in for the season?

SP: The biggest one would be to win a national championship, which is everyone's goal, but individually, I think just enjoying it. I think that is something I learned a lot from Team Canada is to just enjoy every moment, so that's what I'm going to be doing.

Comment

Gorgeous steal by Amy Potomak.

Comment

This past weekend was the first time I have seen Amy play ( made an early exit the prior weekend) other than online (which doesn’t tell you a lot). I suppose it could be argued any first year player is going to look good with Pannek & S Potomak. Amy appeared to me to be a complete player, as good on D, maybe better, as on O. There is a noticeable difference in the two sisters, it seems to me that Sarah is a Cadillac ATS-V coupe, whereas Amy is an F-150. But not your neighbors F-150 that is used to commute to work with an empty bed, more like one from Monster Jam. IMO, Sarah would have fit in better with Rob Stauber’s version of Team USA than Team Canada, meanwhile Amy seems to have come from the same mold that created all the other Canadian players. Note that Emily Clark made Team Canada, and also seems to have come from that same mold. Yet, what Gopher fan would swap S Potomak for Clark? Thank you for asking, but no thanks. I don’t want two F-150’s in my garage, I’d rather have an F-150 and a Cadillac.

Comment

Bit the FloHockey bullet, and am hoping for a high quality broadcast tonight and tomorrow. And of course even more importantly, I'm hoping for a total team effort from our ladies.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        Bit the FloHockey bullet, and am hoping for a high quality broadcast tonight and tomorrow. And of course even more importantly, I'm hoping for a total team effort from our ladies.
                        Which plan did you choose? Can you take the yearly plan and pay for only the one month? The FAQ seems a little confusing to me.
                        Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                          Which plan did you choose? Can you take the yearly plan and pay for only the one month? The FAQ seems a little confusing to me.
                          I did take the yearly plan, which in the terms says it's billed annually. I'm not expecting to get any pro-rated money back when I attempt to cancel at the end of the season, but I do plan to give it a shot.

Comment

Good first period by the Gophers, outshooting the Dawgs 19-11 and taking a 4-2 lead. Surprisingly Minnesota's top line has not yet figured in the scoring...

Comment

Scoreless 2nd period, shots now 32-18 Gophers.

Comment

Interesting that Minnesota outscored bc from last weekend in one period tonight...

Minnesota's forward depth against UMD's young defense has been a mismatch...
                                Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 10-05-2018, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X