Shannon Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
    Newman and Darwitz were the two that came to mind as I wrote that, I assumed there are others. To me the big challenge in D-I is in recruiting. I bet it takes more time from a coach than all their other tasks combined and D-III does not have the same sort of competition so it will be a crap shoot. What I look for is someone like Darwitz who could take a mediocre program & propel it to a higher level.

I should have added that there are many D-I assistant coaches who probably have earned at least a look. But I am not familiar enough with name many. Courtney Kennedy comes to mind, I know she was head coach at the HS level & a long time asst as BC. Brittni Smith has not been with Clarkson long but she was also an assistant with Canada's U18 & obviously has worked in a successful program. LeClerc at Colgate, again, not very long but I seem to remember she was a head coach in D-III with some success. I am sure there are others this is just off the top of my head. They at least deserve an interview, there are men's coaches with less of a pedigree who have been given a chance.
    Which men's coaches are you thinking of that had less of a pedigree? I can think of the guy that was just fired at Brown and the formwr Penn State loser. Some schools have shown a pattern of hiring assistant coaches from their men's team. Elmira and RPI come to mind. Can anyone think of others? Maybe those schools feel it's more important to hire someone who is familiar with their school. In Elmira's case they could hire anyone and still keep winning because they are so committed to their hockey program and everyone knows it including recruits. D3 schools have to make a choice to become a "hockey school" and that includes with their admissions and financial aid offices. Have winning programs ever struggled to get recruits accepted to their schools and for those recruits to be able to afford the school? I've never heard of schools like Elmira, Plattsburgh, Gustavus, Norwich, etc, not being successful with their recruits getting accepted or being able to afford the cost. Some low end D3 programs struggle to have a full roster each year while those programs seem to always have too many players. There are reasons for that and it's not just about who the coach is.

Comment

Re: Shannon Miller

LeClerc at Colgate, again, not very long but I seem to remember she was a head coach in D-III with some success.
      Sophie Leclerc was never a head coach in DIII. She returned to Norwich (where she was a standout player) as an assistant coach for two years following a brief stint as head coach at a prep school. She was on the bench as an assistant the year Norwich got drubbed 9-2 in the title game.

Comment

Previous experience head coaching a perennial contender has never been the standard for getting a HC job in women’s hockey. If we ever get to that point great, but we are not there now. But sure, we’re talking about getting female head coaches in place so let’s raise the standard to “has coached a perennial contender.”

Fargo head coached a perennial contender before getting first D1 Head Coach job. Wahlig is a Head Coach proven winner, before getting first D1 Head Coach job. Who are the others?
        Last edited by Lindsay; 05-20-2018, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I should have added that there are many D-I assistant coaches who probably have earned at least a look. But I am not familiar enough with name many. Courtney Kennedy comes to mind,
          100% agree. Kennedy might be very happy at BC and impossible to lure away, but she has to be near the top of potential head coaching lists for AD’s looking to hire.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
            100% agree. Kennedy might be very happy at BC and impossible to lure away, but she has to be near the top of potential head coaching lists for AD’s looking to hire.
            Except I think most AD's don't know much or anything about women's hockey or who the coaches are and that's probably not going to change anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              Except I think most AD's don't know much or anything about women's hockey or who the coaches are and that's probably not going to change anytime soon.
              Come on, even if that’s true, Kennedy could get a head coaching job if she wanted one. The question is if one appealing enough comes up, that someone already doesn’t have on lock down by way of being the associate head coach.

I don’t know how much each of the AD’s know. I bet some know the landscape well, some not at all (OSU admitted to being clueless, in an article someone shared here a while back.)
              Last edited by Lindsay; 05-20-2018, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Shannon Miller has a proven track record of winning with 5 national titles backing her up, and she's available. As a bonus she can give campus tours now too! Quite the bang for your buck!

Comment

Come on, even if that’s true, Kennedy could get a head coaching job if she wanted one. The question is if one appealing enough comes up, that someone already doesn’t have on lock down by way of being the associate head coach.

I don’t know how much each of the AD’s know. I bet some know the landscape well, some not at all (OSU admitted to being clueless, in an article someone shared here a while back.)
                  It is safe to put that person on ignore. The signal to noise ratio is very low, mostly they want to troll not add to the conversation

Comment

It is safe to put that person on ignore. The signal to noise ratio is very low, mostly they want to troll not add to the conversation
                    My contributions here far outweigh yours. And I like to tease and have fun too. So do many others here. You have a problem with that?! Too bad buddy! Get lost loser! I have no doubt as a netminder you're full of holes just like your mental capacities. Sieve!
                    Last edited by shelfit; 05-20-2018, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I don't know about the "Kennedy could get a head coaching job if she wanted one" comment. Wouldn't you have said that about Allison Coomey and Katie Lachapelle at BU for many years, yet there they were together behind Durocher for 9 years.... I don't believe for a second that they didn't try to get a head coach job in that time and yet they weren't able to. They have coaching credentials at least as good as Kennedy. It finally took Holy Cross going D1 to get Lachapelle in line and Coomey moved to Penn State as an assistant (not even an associate head coach). I think you assume too much to think that Kennedy is a shoo-in if she wanted to be. Wouldn't Providence be the right opportunity for her (New England, similar to BC, etc.)? For that matter - wouldn't Lachapelle be a good fit for Providence - she's an alum?

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                        I don't know about the "Kennedy could get a head coaching job if she wanted one" comment. Wouldn't you have said that about Allison Coomey and Katie Lachapelle at BU for many years, yet there they were together behind Durocher for 9 years.... I don't believe for a second that they didn't try to get a head coach job in that time and yet they weren't able to. They have coaching credentials at least as good as Kennedy. It finally took Holy Cross going D1 to get Lachapelle in line and Coomey moved to Penn State as an assistant (not even an associate head coach). I think you assume too much to think that Kennedy is a shoo-in if she wanted to be. Wouldn't Providence be the right opportunity for her (New England, similar to BC, etc.)? For that matter - wouldn't Lachapelle be a good fit for Providence - she's an alum?
                        See, there is a good reason why I was reluctant to mention names originally, I knew I would forget deserving women. I am sure there are others but those are very deserving candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                          And I like to tease and have fun too.
                          There's such a fine line between teasing and being a complete *******.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                            Proving discrimination in hiring (as opposed to firing) is almost impossible, even when it happens. That's not true just for gender discrimination, but everything else. Age discrimination, for those who end up unemployed in their mid-40s or older (which I know from personal experience; it's how someone with a masters degree in accounting ends up as a security guard), is endemic, but you can't assemble the evidence to prove it.
                            I don't know, if she applies anywhere in women's hockey for any job, she's automatically the #1 qualified person. If she applies at 5 schools and is not hired, she could probably make a discrimination case. The people in the know know she is psycho, but the jurors will again have no knowledge of that and fatten her bank accounts further.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              I don't know, if she applies anywhere in women's hockey for any job, she's automatically the #1 qualified person. If she applies at 5 schools and is not hired, she could probably make a discrimination case. The people in the know know she is psycho, but the jurors will again have no knowledge of that and fatten her bank accounts further.
                              But whoever hires her would have a coach who would definitely make a splash and draw attention to their program wearing that black shiny sequined jacket! Admit it, we all want to see that jacket again!

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                                There's such a fine line between teasing and being a complete *******.
                                Yawn! And I'm on the teasing side of that line while you're completely on the *sshole side of it. Nice try. So easy to with.

Comment

Working...
                                X