Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    So Mercedes has announced that Bottas is staying for 2020- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7_...nkVXzrV4AaABCQ
    And Renault just confirmed the signing of Ocon for two years, replacing Hulkenberg.

Just one more shoe left to drop.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      And Renault just confirmed the signing of Ocon for two years, replacing Hulkenberg.

Just one more shoe left to drop.
      I believe Haas is going to sign Hulk after the season, and let Grosjean go, even though I think Magnussen is not as good a driver.. I also think Kubica is on shaky ground at Williams and it will depend on how he does the second half if they sign him again. I think racing point is going to stand pat, but Givanattzi (sp) might be in trouble.
      Last edited by manurespreader; 08-30-2019, 01:15 PM.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

F2 driver Anthoine Hubert died today during practice at Spa.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/49537761
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
          F2 driver Anthoine Hubert died today during practice at Spa.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/49537761
          Tragic. The poor guy who hit him had no chance to avoid contact.
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

After a terrible Saturday for all of racing, F1 had a pretty nice race today. Lots of pace changes, Charles winning his first race (dedicating it to his friend), the Mercedes making it look tough for Ferrari, Albon demonstrating that his promotion was deserved- even the rather spectacular pass on Perez.

Too bad for McLaren- not getting either car to finish- one at the start and the other at the very, very end. Norris should have gotten 5th.

Comment

Indycar can’t negotiate turn 1 at Portland because they still have dumb drivers. This time Graham Rahal. Seriously, Rahal, Marco and a few others just aren’t Good enough and should be shown the door.
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                Indycar can’t negotiate turn 1 at Portland because they still have dumb drivers. This time Graham Rahal. Seriously, Rahal, Marco and a few others just aren’t Good enough and should be shown the door.
                A lot of stupidity in lap 1 again. Given the bad qualifying by both Newgarden, Pagenaud, and Rossi, that could have deeply impacted the championship with Dixon up close to the front and lurking in the championship shadows again. Luckily all 3 avoided disaster (Pagenaud somewhat involved but was not damaged). Dixon ended up getting screwed with battery failure while running P1. Boy things could have gone very differently!!

It's not even the rookies making the mistakes. Perhaps crazier was the RHR stupidity with teammate Rossi behind him. Unreal.

Indycar needs to think about applying some stiffer penalties of some sort, maybe in the standings to affect Leader's Circle money at the end of the year when a crash occurs due to stupidity and takes out entire teams of cars in lap 1.

No surprise but no Pocono on 2020 schedule.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I wonder if we don't have too many Formula Classes and if F 2 isn't too close in speed to F1 without corresponding safety stuff. I mean an F1000 car is blazingly fast. And we have F3 and then F2 and FE and FC, and FAtlantic, etc. Maybe F 2 ought to be somewhat slower than 170 mph cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71swR2GsWLY

Comment

All you guys in Wisconsin etc ought to go to this. it's a spectator event.
                    https://racer.com/2019/09/06/actions...11zyRpyMbAwBu4

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      All you guys in Wisconsin etc ought to go to this. it's a spectator event.
                      https://racer.com/2019/09/06/actions...11zyRpyMbAwBu4
                      I don't typically care about cars but those are beautiful. I hope this kind of thing catches on. Imagine races with cars restricted to replicas of models only available before, say, 1940, or 1930, but with all modern safety equipment, seats belts, air bags, safer tries, cockpit protection, etc!

That I would watch.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I wonder if we don't have too many Formula Classes and if F 2 isn't too close in speed to F1 without corresponding safety stuff. I mean an F1000 car is blazingly fast. And we have F3 and then F2 and FE and FC, and FAtlantic, etc. Maybe F 2 ought to be somewhat slower than 170 mph cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71swR2GsWLY
                        CB did a good analysis- even though I don't have any actual views of what happened- but the part where he pointed out that the crush structures are only designed to crush once- one should even consider if an F1 car or an Indy car would have been able to do any better- since they have similar crush structures. Especially where he properly pointed out that we really don't know (yet) where the fatal part of the crash happened. Once we know that, then we can rethink the various formulae.

But an important consideration based on your FF50 post- eventually those engines are going to go away. What do you replace them with? Virtually every single engine you can get makes more power than an 1600 Ford engine- by a considerable amount. Which then puts this class into the exact same consideration on safety- given the double of available power (likely- just guessing). FV is in the same position.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          CB did a good analysis- even though I don't have any actual views of what happened- but the part where he pointed out that the crush structures are only designed to crush once- one should even consider if an F1 car or an Indy car would have been able to do any better- since they have similar crush structures. Especially where he properly pointed out that we really don't know (yet) where the fatal part of the crash happened. Once we know that, then we can rethink the various formulae.

But an important consideration based on your FF50 post- eventually those engines are going to go away. What do you replace them with? Virtually every single engine you can get makes more power than an 1600 Ford engine- by a considerable amount. Which then puts this class into the exact same consideration on safety- given the double of available power (likely- just guessing). FV is in the same position.
                          Not quite but almost.. FV is going to F First which uses a similar but more modern engine. Though it's not setting the world on fire, It is more available. Ford racing has been producing new 711 blocks for some time and there are plenty of them.They even fixed all the known weak spots. All the other parts are no problem. SCCA FF, or F 1600 if you like, now mostly use a Honda fit engine which is supposed to be more reliable but isn't and is more expensive but with longer service intervals. They get relatively few entrants even in the pro series events. There are a number of tube frame chassis classes with more power than a FF kent,( FC) but you really want to go over 128 mph in a tube frame car? FAtlantic uses a HART BDD twin cam, or what used to go in a European Cortina rallye car.
                          Last edited by manurespreader; 09-06-2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

So just my opinion but LeClerc would have been penalized at any other track but Monza for those actions.

And the organizers need to be more careful putting curbing outside of parabolica like that.

Comment

So just my opinion but LeClerc would have been penalized at any other track but Monza for those actions.
                              The thing is, I don't think Hamilton would have been able to stay in front of Leclerc the whole race. With Ferrari's superior straight line speed coupled with the DRS, I don't see Hamilton being able to defend. Plus, Hamilton was on mediums while Leclerc was on hards, so Leclerc could also be patient and just wait for Hamilton's tires to go off and then do the "flyby."

It was an unnecessary risk of crashing or being penalized for Leclerc to defend so aggressively.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                                The thing is, I don't think Hamilton would have been able to stay in front of Leclerc the whole race. With Ferrari's superior straight line speed coupled with the DRS, I don't see Hamilton being able to defend. Plus, Hamilton was on mediums while Leclerc was on hards, so Leclerc could also be patient and just wait for Hamilton's tires to go off and then do the "flyby."

It was an unnecessary risk of crashing or being penalized for Leclerc to defend so aggressively.
                                Ignoring the problem with the tire wear- I'm really not sure of that. As I saw the lap segments, if Hamilton could have passed in the first sector, it seems possible that he could have gotten enough time on LeCerc so that he would not be in DRS range before Parabolica. Especially medium vs. hard tires. And had he got by early, perhaps he could have preserved his tires... maybe.

But that was Mercedes only real strategy for the race.

Comment

Working...
                                X