Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

That was a heck of a race today at the Hungary track. For a track that passing isn't supposed to happen, it happened, a lot.

And that was a very bold strategy by Mercedes to pit Hamilton, and let him catch up from 20 seconds down. Epic drive there.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      That was a heck of a race today at the Hungary track. For a track that passing isn't supposed to happen, it happened, a lot.

And that was a very bold strategy by Mercedes to pit Hamilton, and let him catch up from 20 seconds down. Epic drive there.
      I couldn't have said it better myself.

Heck of a "comeback" for F1 after the France debacle.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Question...I rewatched Senna this past weekend and i’m Wondering if any of you agree the fatal crash was caused by a broken steering column?

If yes, Why didn’t Williams produce data to refute this claim?
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          Question...I rewatched Senna this past weekend and i’m Wondering if any of you agree the fatal crash was caused by a broken steering column?

From what I understand, the case was still being litigated. So Williams could not comment.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

It might be but couldn't it also be that the car was set up so low that it was making constant contact with the ground and during the period it is on the ground control is lost?

Second issue. it's silly season and to my mind there are a lot of drivers out there who are in hot water. I wonder how many are going to be on the same teams next year.
            And lastly did you see the youtube autosport video about Danny ric's contract issues. pretty interesting.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Let me give you an example of just how hard it is to set up a formula car. A freind of mine and his brother have two identical cars. They were set up identically. Same corner weights, same camber, caster, toe, etc. Same shocks. But one car, once it got turned in and took a set, when the driver goes to the throttle, which is of course well before the apex, the car would lose weight on the front wheels and understeer. So they were having to get on the throttle slower and more progressively. Of course this compromises lap times.

So bottom line they found one rear ball joint a couple of centimeters higher than the other car's similar ball joint. They were able thus to space the opposite corner top ball joint up about 1/2 an inch which lowered the instantaneous roll center sufficiently to make it run like the second car. Still a lot of work to find a very small difference.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                Let me give you an example of just how hard it is to set up a formula car. A freind of mine and his brother have two identical cars. They were set up identically. Same corner weights, same camber, caster, toe, etc. Same shocks. But one car, once it got turned in and took a set, when the driver goes to the throttle, which is of course well before the apex, the car would lose weight on the front wheels and understeer. So they were having to get on the throttle slower and more progressively. Of course this compromises lap times.

So bottom line they found one rear ball joint a couple of centimeters higher than the other car's similar ball joint. They were able thus to space the opposite corner top ball joint up about 1/2 an inch which lowered the instantaneous roll center sufficiently to make it run like the second car. Still a lot of work to find a very small difference.
                (Ignoring the safety concerns) and just consider if there's an invisible hairline crack, that changes the stiffness of the chassis? Then all of the roll centers are not even controlled very well... I recall a few years ago, one of the teams really struggled with the two cars, and they eventually found a crack in the chassis.

On the other hand, when you get it right, I suspect it's very rewarding.

Comment

(Ignoring the safety concerns) and just consider if there's an invisible hairline crack, that changes the stiffness of the chassis? Then all of the roll centers are not even controlled very well... I recall a few years ago, one of the teams really struggled with the two cars, and they eventually found a crack in the chassis.

On the other hand, when you get it right, I suspect it's very rewarding.
                  yep. and that's one reason that Williams, earlier in the year, swapped Kubica's car for Russells.

Comment

First big change has happened- Gasley has been replaced by Albon for the top Red Bull team. And they really needed more speed from Gasley to protect Max.

If there's another change, my gut suggests Kubica- regardless of how good a story it's been to see him back.

Comment

First big change has happened- Gasley has been replaced by Albon for the top Red Bull team. And they really needed more speed from Gasley to protect Max.

If there's another change, my gut suggests Kubica- regardless of how good a story it's been to see him back.
                      Albon is awful green. He's done a good job but I doubt he's actually ready. I would have picked Kvyat but politically he couldn't be moved.
                      I'd be surprised if Kubica goes and he might even be back next year. Now if you had said one or both of the Haas guys, i'd completely agree.

Comment

In terms of Haas, everything I read calls Grojean a far better development driver than Magnusson. So I suspect Kevin will be out.

Comment

In terms of Haas, everything I read calls Grojean a far better development driver than Magnusson. So I suspect Kevin will be out.
                          But Grosjean makes too many mistakes, and I think Steiner's patience has run out on him.

And, it's Gasly.

You need an F1 driver's name spelling lesson. LOL
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                            But Grosjean makes too many mistakes, and I think Steiner's patience has run out on him.

And, it's Gasly.

You need an F1 driver's name spelling lesson. LOL
                            Kevin does, too. So if you had to choose one, it seems to me that Magnussen brings less to the table than Grosjean.

Comment

Kevin does, too. So if you had to choose one, it seems to me that Magnussen brings less to the table than Grosjean.
                              Or, they could wind up dumping both. Don't think that would be smart, but...
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Eau Rouge. Don't lift.

https://youtu.be/wn8GBO4kjTk

The changes in the engine sound over the last few years is, well, disappointing
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X