Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    No. He was not decapitated. He did crash at the top of the esses in practice. The impact killed him. That was the impetus to put the chicane there which was removed when ISC and Corning bought the track out of bankruptcy.

It was Helmuth Koinigg the year before in the race at the Toe of the Boot.
    BTW, the movie Rush combines these two crashes, which is why people think it was Cevert who was decapitated. They show the aftermath of the Cevert crash in the esses during practice, which is accurate. But, they inaccurately display the crash like that of Koinigg with the car under the guardrail with the top of the car sheared off leaving the only impression you can have which is the driver had to have been decapitated.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      BTW, the movie Rush combines these two crashes, which is why people think it was Cevert who was decapitated. They show the aftermath of the Cevert crash in the esses during practice, which is accurate. But, they inaccurately display the crash like that of Koinigg with the car under the guardrail with the top of the car sheared off leaving the only impression you can have which is the driver had to have been decapitated.
      So to go back to the gentleman's comments, he put these big bars on the car to prevent all this. Most guys run some sort of bars right under the edge of the bodywork, and then they angle up to near the top of the main roll hoop. You see it especially on the tube frame cars. However this particular car had them well up out in the airstream and well forward.. As I said I think it's a good idea and gives the driver a bit more security. I passed on the car because he had welded in a steel floor in two parts whereas the hot set up is a single piece of 6061 aluminum riveted and bonded to the frame. It makes a massive difference to the stiffness and thus handling. Also two cars gives you two sets of headaches so maybe next year i'll go look for another one once I get this one sorted out. There are some real nice cars out there for sale right now.
      BTW If anyone is interested I recommend the Bertil Roos school if you are trying to get your license. Worth every penny.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

INDYCAR owners are going to look even more spectacularly myopic and stupid when O’Ward gets to F1 and kicks ***.

https://racer.com/2019/05/09/oward-joins-red-bull-junior-team/
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          indycar owners are going to look even more spectacularly myopic and stupid when o’ward gets to f1 and kicks ***.

https://racer.com/2019/05/09/oward-j...l-junior-team/
          qft

Comment

I'm having a real tough time seeing how this F1 season is going to be anything but a rout by Mercedes. Ferrari has no answer and they are not even on the podium after a ton of upgrades they brought in for Spain.. It could be a real boring rest of the year unless something happens different.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              I'm having a real tough time seeing how this F1 season is going to be anything but a rout by Mercedes. Ferrari has no answer and they are not even on the podium after a ton of upgrades they brought in for Spain.. It could be a real boring rest of the year unless something happens different.
              Truth. And to be honest how do we judge the greatness of Lewis Hamilton if all he needs to do is defeat his teammate every race? He’s now being compared to Senna which I don’t buy.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Truth. And to be honest how do we judge the greatness of Lewis Hamilton if all he needs to do is defeat his teammate every race? He’s now being compared to Senna which I don’t buy.
                Don't then. Other do, so be it. But some of Senna's greatness was just having to beat his team mate, too.... Lest we forget, the McLaren of 1988 still has the highest percentage of wins in a season. So it's not as if Senna didn't have the best of the best car in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  Can't say that I mind seeing Ferrari move backwards. Especially the way they treat LeClerc. He's driving as good as Vettel, and is getting second fiddle all the time.

It's kind of interesting that in terms of overall car concept, Mercedes has consistently gone with a low rake car, and still dominates the field. Whereas the rest of the field just copied Adrian Newey's high rake concept.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    Don't then. Other do, so be it. But some of Senna's greatness was just having to beat his team mate, too.... Lest we forget, the McLaren of 1988 still has the highest percentage of wins in a season. So it's not as if Senna didn't have the best of the best car in the field.
                    I think Senna’s greatness was personified by Monaco in a Toleman, Donnington in an inferior McLaren. Winning 5 races in 93 against a stacked Williams team. No driver since then has delivered as much in subpar cars.

Comment

I think Senna’s greatness was personified by Monaco in a Toleman, Donnington in an inferior McLaren. Winning 5 races in 93 against a stacked Williams team. No driver since then has delivered as much in subpar cars.
                      Ok, then why dismiss 2008? Or even 2007, when Hamilton should have won the WC had it not been for a bad call in China? Neither year, McLaren was the dominant car, and Hamilton put the car in places it should not have been. Or 2013, when Hamilton moved to a pretty poor performing Mercedes team, in the last year of those rules, against a dominant Red Bull, and still won a race and was 4th overall? Took a series of pole positions, too.

It's not as if Lewis has always had the best car ever.

And for me, I don't consider Senna the best ever. I think his legend is overplayed. He enjoys a status based on the availability of being able to see the races live, as I see it. Drivers like Nuvolare or Fangio or even Stewart and Clark could not rely on that kind of live coverage. And much of the endless hype that sportscasting brought to TV starting when ESPN opened it's doors. I also don't think Hamilton is the best of the best, and don't even think he thinks of himself that way. Getting Schumi's numbers, that looks to be pretty legendary, but not much more than that.

Comment

Ok, then why dismiss 2008? Or even 2007, when Hamilton should have won the WC had it not been for a bad call in China? Neither year, McLaren was the dominant car, and Hamilton put the car in places it should not have been. Or 2013, when Hamilton moved to a pretty poor performing Mercedes team, in the last year of those rules, against a dominant Red Bull, and still won a race and was 4th overall? Took a series of pole positions, too.

It's not as if Lewis has always had the best car ever.

And for me, I don't consider Senna the best ever. I think his legend is overplayed. He enjoys a status based on the availability of being able to see the races live, as I see it. Drivers like Nuvolare or Fangio or even Stewart and Clark could not rely on that kind of live coverage. And much of the endless hype that sportscasting brought to TV starting when ESPN opened it's doors. I also don't think Hamilton is the best of the best, and don't even think he thinks of himself that way. Getting Schumi's numbers, that looks to be pretty legendary, but not much more than that.
                        I’m a Hamilton fan, I just don’t think he’s as good as Senna and I think numbers don’t tell the entire story. From what i’ve Seen on tv and interviews with former drivers only Clark rivals Senna. EDIT: this is coming from drivers who did not race against Fangio or Ascari etc

I grant you 2013 for sure.
                        Last edited by solovsfett; 05-14-2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Wow, Alonso and Pat O’Ward bumped from Indy...

Comment

Wow, Alonso and Pat O’Ward bumped from Indy...
                            Those two plus Chilton were all the same team- Carlin. And they have been competing, but were still beat by Juncos racing.

Comment

Those two plus Chilton were all the same team- Carlin. And they have been competing, but were still beat by Juncos racing.
                              Has to be a huge blow to Carlin as he’s trying to catch-up to the big 3-4 teams.

McLaren was far too optimistic. If Alonso wants to seriously win Indy he should approach Penske, Ganassi or Andretti. Or...think outside the box and ask Ed Carpenter since his team is always at the pointy end of the grid at Indy it seems.

Comment

Has to be a huge blow to Carlin as he’s trying to catch-up to the big 3-4 teams.

McLaren was far too optimistic. If Alonso wants to seriously win Indy he should approach Penske, Ganassi or Andretti. Or...think outside the box and ask Ed Carpenter since his team is always at the pointy end of the grid at Indy it seems.
                                Well, thanks to the "GP2 engine" comment, Andretti is off the table since they run Honda engines. But, yea- I'd bet that Ed Carpenter would be happy to add a third car, and a 3rd data point to his team. Take an already fast team and give them more information would be a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X