Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

I liked the GP but I hated the Aussie announcer.

And here's update number 1 on the race car front.
    I decided that the Road Hog chassis I was given was just too much work and a money pit, so i'm not going forward with it.
    It didn't fit very well because the car was ultra narrow. I'm 5'9 and barely could get in and so the frame would have to be modified to be slightly wider to fit me. Second, there were no shocks or springs, 5000 dollars, no engine, 7000 dollars, no gearbox or transmission 6500 dollars, no spare parts either. Also before we drove it we'd need to do a complete set of drawings so that if the front end got wiped off we could rebuild it. And of course we'd have to build a jig for that. The car would have been very fast. It had the radiator behind the driver, inboard front and rear suspension, and had been really quick before, but it would not have run Vintage or in Club Ford unless I converted one end back to outboard. Most likely then regular FF, which meant not competitive.
    And that was just the beginning.
    So I have my eye on one of three cars out there for sale right now. I'll let you all know what I end up with and post some pictures after the deal closes.The goal is to run Club Ford, and the occasional regional. I'll save enough money just on tires that I could fund a Formula Vee for a whole year. Anyone contemplating going into racing, don't think FF is a slow class because these are real fast cars.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

INDYCAR switches to NBC for 2019!!!

Things are looking up, great rookies, Newgarden is a champ, Rossi should have a good year and the smaller team are more than competitive.

I missed Australia...too bad Haas had such terrible luck.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Comments in this video about passing might be appropriate here.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unL7MAiXdXM&t=28s

BTW, some tracks, the indy road course here is one, elkhart lake is another one, trail braking doesn't work all that well. Others, it does.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Cripes, all they did was port over Sky's coverage. $0 in house cost, just whatever they have to pay Sky and Liberty.
          You do realize ESPN is not paying anything for F1? It was "dumped" on them by their old pal Sean Bratches and Liberty Media after talks with NBC broke down over the streaming/digital rights.

ESPN doesn’t give a crap about F1. They are not going to spend anything on it. They get the Sky feed for free (again, through LM), slap it on the broadcast, throw a bunch of ill timed commercials over it, and as soon as the two hours are up, they cut the link.

It’s a cluster—— of epic proportions.
          Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 03-31-2018, 09:22 AM.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
            You do realize ESPN is not paying anything for F1? It was "dumped" on them by their old pal Sean Bratches and Liberty Media after talks with NBC broke down over the streaming/digital rights.

ESPN doesn’t give a crap about F1. They are not going to spend anything on it. They get the Sky feed for free (again, through LM), slap it on the broadcast, throw a bunch of ill timed commercials over it, and as soon as the two hours are up, they cut the link.

It’s a cluster—— of epic proportions.
            The quality was not significantly better when NBC Sports was doing it. The actual production of the race is still pretty much unchanged. You had three talking heads in North Carolina trying to figure out what was going on with a production they had no control over. I think these announcers are actually at the track and are knowledgeable. The big difference to me was having the guys in North Carolina being able to do a re-cap when on commercial break. ESPN not doing that is a downgrade to me. I do miss Will Buxton too. Martin Brundle is knowledgeable but not as polished.

Comment

Danny Sullivan on safety.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thx7_z5tJkI

you can find you tube videos of Danny and one thing, his lines and his approach are phenomenal. Very few people drive this well.

Comment

For the first time in recent memory, an F1 race that was commercial free from start to finish. Kudos to ESPN! What a joy to see a race uninterrupted. Vettel held off Bottas for an exciting finish. Tire strategy was the deciding factor. Another one or two laps and I think Bottas would have passed Vettel for the victory. Really pleased for Torro Rosso and Pierre Gasly for their 4th place finish with a Honda engine no less. It's going to be another great season.

Comment

Wow was the "crowd" disappointing last night in Phoenix. According to a story in USAToday the track and local promoters did a good job promoting the race. Indycar keeps talking about the coming resurgence and we hear that this year there will probably be more than 33 cars at least practicing for the 500 in May, I just don't think we're seeing it from an attendance or ratings viewpoint. It's odd, because as a product, it surpasses NASCAR by so much it's not funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                    For the first time in recent memory, an F1 race that was commercial free from start to finish. Kudos to ESPN! What a joy to see a race uninterrupted. Vettel held off Bottas for an exciting finish. Tire strategy was the deciding factor. Another one or two laps and I think Bottas would have passed Vettel for the victory. Really pleased for Torro Rosso and Pierre Gasly for their 4th place finish with a Honda engine no less. It's going to be another great season.
                    Took a while to realize that there were no ads. Pretty sweet!

Vettel did a great job changing plans way into a stint of the soft tires- that really should not have worked out that he could have survived that long on those tires relative to the mediums- I don't like Seb, but have to give him a lot of credit to be just fast enough long enough that Botas had not enough time to make the pass.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                      Wow was the "crowd" disappointing last night in Phoenix. According to a story in USAToday the track and local promoters did a good job promoting the race. Indycar keeps talking about the coming resurgence and we hear that this year there will probably be more than 33 cars at least practicing for the 500 in May, I just don't think we're seeing it from an attendance or ratings viewpoint. It's odd, because as a product, it surpasses NASCAR by so much it's not funny.
                      They should move it back to a Sunday afternoon. Like it should be.

Comment

The ratings have clearly been on the rise for a while, I don't think that is disputable. I read somewhere (god only knows the source) that attendance was up this year for Phoenix so IDK. Absolutely a superior product to NASCAR. Hopefully this new aero situation does reduce the cost for teams and can help add cars to the fray.

Seems like Robert Wickens is for real. Probably should be the points leader right now. Rossi continues to shine. It's going to be him vs Newgarden for a long time in this series. Also really impressed with Ed Jones - he really blew a chance for a podium there but I think Chip filled that 10 seat with a good one. Already looks a lot better in the 10 car than TK did last year.
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                          For the first time in recent memory, an F1 race that was commercial free from start to finish. Kudos to ESPN! What a joy to see a race uninterrupted.
                          Kudos to ESPN. They (and Liberty Media) got it right. I can watch F1 again...
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                            Seems like Robert Wickens is for real. Probably should be the points leader right now. Rossi continues to shine. It's going to be him vs Newgarden for a long time in this series. Also really impressed with Ed Jones - he really blew a chance for a podium there but I think Chip filled that 10 seat with a good one. Already looks a lot better in the 10 car than TK did last year.
                            Wickens entire career has flown under the radar. I had always paid close attention to him and he always impressed me, so I expected him to do very well once he finally got a break.
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                              The ratings have clearly been on the rise for a while, I don't think that is disputable. I read somewhere (god only knows the source) that attendance was up this year for Phoenix so IDK. Absolutely a superior product to NASCAR. Hopefully this new aero situation does reduce the cost for teams and can help add cars to the fray.
                              Actually the rating for the season opening race was flat from last year and down 20% from 2016. The number of viewers has gone down in each of the last two years as well. I have not yet seen the ratings numbers for Sunday's race. As for the attendance, it was supposedly better than last year, but really, it had nowhere to go BUT up. Estimates of 18,000 last year were laughable if the track actually has 50,000 seats as most sources seem to say. The grandstands were perhaps 25% full Saturday night at best, so maybe there were 12,000 there.

Comment

I have not yet seen the ratings numbers for Sunday's race.
                                0.20. Down from 0.27 and 0.29 in 2017 and 2016 respectively. *shrugs*
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X