Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

My god, if there really are INDYCAR drivers racing w/out being paid the car owner, sponsors and series should be put out to pasture. Jesus...

https://racer.com/2018/09/25/hinchcl...tronger-voice/
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      My god, if there really are INDYCAR drivers racing w/out being paid the car owner, sponsors and series should be put out to pasture. Jesus...

https://racer.com/2018/09/25/hinchcl...tronger-voice/

A lot of metrics and general reaction is that the series is on the upswing. I generally don't refute and see the positive swell that series is riding on right now that but it still seems to be teetering on the edge of no-man's land. The purses are so gd small it's embarrassing. There's just not much money for this thing to seemingly take any big steps.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Does anyone remember when Michael Avenatti raced in ALMS? And co-owned the team with Patrick Dempsey?

I do. And met him, having no idea who he was at the time...
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Esteban Ocon rules out INDYCAR and references Robert Wickens like Lewis Hamilton referenced Dan Wheldon a few years back.

INDYCAR has a real problem with PR regarding how dangerous oval racing can be and they need to get on top of that.

Mansell, Fittipaldi et al, they never talked this way. At least not until pack racing came to the fore.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

A very interesting film on the logo's and paint schemes in a Formula Car. We have been going over possible schemes for our car and are going to emulate Will power's indycar scheme on our Z 16.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG55WOvO5bE

Also SP Racing has opened Wickens seat up for next year so I'd say it's doubtful Wickens will be back next season though he might be well enough later in the year for a drive here or there.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

So F1 is almost done- Lewis needs only 8 points more than Seb at Austin, and he wins.

As the season has gone on, the fascinating part has not really been the racing (although, there has actually been some good action), but seeing how Mercedes and Ferrari has taken totally different paths to finish the season. Mercedes saw their weak points, and really regrouped during the break, taking a very slim lead and turning into a huge one- their car wasn't the fastest mid-season, but it's pretty clear now that it is. And they are making the right strategic choices, too- between tires and pit stops. The one thing I hope they do after Austin is let Bottas win a race after taking it from him in Russia.

On the other hand, Ferrari has taken the fastest car on the grid, and done nothing to it. But get desperate. The team and the drivers have been making a ton of mistakes, and has cost them any realistic chance to win. They have made bad tire choices for their car, they have made poor pit choices for their drivers, they have just made a lot of mistakes. And Seb has just added to that. When he crashed out in Germany, the whole house of cards started to come down all around them- seems like both make a huge mistake during the weekend anymore. It was so bad in Japan that they didn't even finish ahead of Red Bull. Heck, Seb was lucky just to score points- at least he's making some interesting passes being so far back.

It's going to take a miracle for Seb to win the WC. And they are not making their own luck.

Comment

Will Hamilton break Schumacher’s win total?
                Or potentially tie or break schumi’s championship number?

Where do you stack him up vs: Fangio, Ascari, Lauda, Piquet, Prost, Senna, Mansell, Clark, Schumacher and Hakkinen?

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                  Will Hamilton break Schumacher’s win total?
                  Or potentially tie or break schumi’s championship number?

Where do you stack him up vs: Fangio, Ascari, Lauda, Piquet, Prost, Senna, Mansell, Clark, Schumacher and Hakkinen?
                  Mikka is good, but not *that* good. Nor is Mansell or Piquet. Excellent drivers, for sure. But among the best ever? I don't see that.

I think putting Hamilton in the discussion of Nuvolare, Fangio, Clark, Prost, Senna, and Schumi is fair.

And at this point, while Seb has 4 championships, the fact that he hasn't been able to put the team together like Mike did, well.... He's letting them collapse around him.

Of all of them, the only one who really matters is Fangio. He did it with 4 different teams, which tells us that it wasn't about the car, even when the car was still the dominant tool. And one of those was driving on TWO teams- the '54 championship he drove for both Maserati AND Daimler Benz. That's amazing to do that over a short period with so many teams.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    Of all of them, the only one who really matters is Fangio. He did it with 4 different teams, which tells us that it wasn't about the car, even when the car was still the dominant tool. And one of those was driving on TWO teams- the '54 championship he drove for both Maserati AND Daimler Benz. That's amazing to do that over a short period with so many teams.
                    And let's not forget he was 39-years-old when the World Championship era started! Which means he won his last world championship when he was 46, back in the day when it took a lot of strength driving those cars. He also won 24 races in just 51 starts with 29 pole positions, which still holds the records for highest percentage of wins, poles, and front row starts.

His comeback victory at the old Nurburgring in the 1957 German GP is considered the greatest F1 drive ever.

He never finished a race at Le Mans, but he won Sebring twice, finished second twice in the Mille Miglia (as well as a third and a fourth), and won the Carrera Panamericana.
                    Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 10-08-2018, 03:23 PM.
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      And let's not forget he was 39-years-old when the World Championship era started! Which means he won his last world championship when he was 46, back in the day when it took a lot of strength driving those cars. He also won 24 races in just 51 starts with 29 pole positions, which still holds the records for highest percentage of wins, poles, and front row starts.

His comeback victory at the old Nurburgring in the 1957 German GP is considered the greatest F1 drive ever.

He never finished a race at Le Mans, but he won Sebring twice, finished second twice in the Mille Miglia (as well as a third and a fourth), and won the Carrera Panamericana.
                      I'm totally on board with Fangio as by far the best ever. I would put Clark, Stewart and Nuvolari in there. It's hard to say about modern drivers. Senna would have to be my pick for the best of the more modern guys. Hamiton is very good, you have to give him credit, the best of todays drivers.

As far as Ferrari now, a few things: they have a reputation of not doing a good job at in season development. That has been borne out.
                      But also the FIA has been on their backs as far as the legality of the engine and required a few, what seemed small, changes about 6 races back.. This has cost them hp and brought them back to even or a bit lower than Mercedes, which it should be noted, were the ones complaining about the engine and the cause of the FIA changes.

Also at Ferrari more than any other team, there is tremendous pressure to win. I don't think they handled that very well. Toto Wolf was asked if he thought his team was faster or Ferrari slower and he refused to answer. I like Ferrari and I hope they do better the last few races here but I think honestly they are toast and will be lucky to hold onto third and forth.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        Mikka is good, but not *that* good. Nor is Mansell or Piquet. Excellent drivers, for sure. But among the best ever? I don't see that.

I think putting Hamilton in the discussion of Nuvolare, Fangio, Clark, Prost, Senna, and Schumi is fair.

And at this point, while Seb has 4 championships, the fact that he hasn't been able to put the team together like Mike did, well.... He's letting them collapse around him.

Yes, I agree with almost all of this. I’d say Mansell was better than his 31 wins and 1 title though but agree on Piquet for sure.

Fangio, Clark and Senna imo are the top 3 but hard for me to rank them.

My dad would say Clark hands down. I say Senna (those were our eras as 20-something’s respectively). Fangio was a towering figure but i don’t know his level of competition or the teams and engines of the era as well as I know more contemporary ones.

I think Mika is underrated. He was close to Senna in lap times in 93 iirc.
                        Anyway, that’s all for fun.

I agree Hamilton>Vettel now. And i’m Wondering whether Vettel’s 4 titles are or were a product of Adrian Newey vs talent
                        Last edited by solovsfett; 10-08-2018, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Speaking of Schumi.. The next generation

https://www.sportsnet.ca/auto-racing...uropean-title/
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Sad

@timhauraney: Breaking: Zak Brown chief Executive of McLaren has said that @McLarenAuto has made the decision NOT to compete in a full #IndyCar season in 2019, they feel they are not ready for it, although no decision has been made on the #Indy500 in 2019. https://***********/timhauraney/stat...346496/photo/1
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Kimi!
                              https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                              https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                              NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                              Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Sad

@timhauraney: Breaking: Zak Brown chief Executive of McLaren has said that @McLarenAuto has made the decision NOT to compete in a full #IndyCar season in 2019, they feel they are not ready for it, although no decision has been made on the #Indy500 in 2019. https://***********/timhauraney/stat...346496/photo/1
                                More like smart.

Their F1 team is in shambles, and they want to divert resources to Indy car? I don't think so. Fix your number one business before you waste time and energy on something else.
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X