Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    I miss Formula 5000 races at The Glen.
    We are staritng to get some clarity on who is driving for whom next year. I don't think Alonso is moving to indycar. He's been making comments on the work they have put in for the 2019 car.And neither do I think McLaren is going to run a team next year. Lance Stroll is moving to Force India since his dad bought the team this morning. That leaves an opening at Williams. I think it will be Sainz, but I could be wrong. Sainz is popular with some other teams also. Mercedes has to decide a few things and they have really 4 drivers for 3 openings plus their formula 2 guy is really good and banging down the door for a ride. Renault also has too many drivers and has to get rid of one.

It should be an interesting next 10 days.
    Last edited by manurespreader; 08-07-2018, 08:11 PM.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      We are staritng to get some clarity on who is driving for whom next year. I don't think Alonso is moving to indycar. He's been making comments on the work they have put in for the 2019 car.And neither do I think McLaren is going to run a team next year. Lance Stroll is moving to Force India since his dad bought the team this morning. That leaves an opening at Williams. I think it will be Sainz, but I could be wrong. Sainz is popular with some other teams also. Mercedes has to decide a few things and they have really 4 drivers for 3 openings plus their formula 2 guy is really good and banging down the door for a ride. Renault also has too many drivers and has to get rid of one.

I really wish Stroll didn't win FI. As much as Rossi sr is the same thing, the fact that he was teamed with Andretti would have made that a better team. Or the energy drink group would also have been better, as that would have brought a company that is growing fast be able to take on Red Bull in both the market and F1- listening to one of their owners, they have a pretty clear vision.

Stroll just want to get Lance a seat.

I could be wrong, but what qualifications does the Stroll family have in making race cars or even racing at a high level?

Comment

Technically, Lawrence Stroll did not buy the team. He was an investor in a consortium that took over the team.

But, considering he is the only one who has a son in F1....

Ocon may end up at Williams. Perez will not lose the Force India ride due to his sponsors funding of that team. So, Ocon is the odd man out, and Mercedes is starting to have closer working relationships with Williams, so I think Ocon ends up there. Sainz will go to McLaren as I don't think Red Bull will pull him back. Red Bull will go with Gasly to appease Verstappen. The big question is who does Red Bull put at Toro Rosso? They have nobody qualified in the pipeline.
        Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 08-08-2018, 06:58 AM.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          I really wish Stroll didn't win FI. As much as Rossi sr is the same thing, the fact that he was teamed with Andretti would have made that a better team. Or the energy drink group would also have been better, as that would have brought a company that is growing fast be able to take on Red Bull in both the market and F1- listening to one of their owners, they have a pretty clear vision.

Stroll just want to get Lance a seat.

I could be wrong, but what qualifications does the Stroll family have in making race cars or even racing at a high level?
          That energy drink group are complete scam artists. They have nothing. They barely have a product. When the administration judge saw their balance sheet, he immediately threw them out of any consideration.

As for Stroll, it's not like they are going to make the technical or race operations decisions on the team anymore than Mallya did. Mallya put a great group of racing people in charge of that sort of thing which is why Force India always punched above their weight with limited resources. The Stroll consortium will do the same -- provide the money (and a driver) and get out of the way.
          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
            Technically, Lawrence Stroll did not buy the team. He was an investor in a consortium that took over the team.
            Reuters report that administrators accepted the offer from Stroll’s fellow investors which include Canadian entrepreneur Andre Desmarais, Jonathan Dudman of Monaco Sports and Management, fashion business leader John Idol, telecommunications investor John McCaw Jr, financial expert Michael de Picciotto, and Stroll’s business partner Silas Chou.

I wonder if John McCaw, Jr. is related in anyway to Bruce McCaw, the former CART team owner, who made his fortune in the telecommunications industry?
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

That energy drink group are complete scam artists. They have nothing. They barely have a product. When the administration judge saw their balance sheet, he immediately threw them out of any consideration.

As for Stroll, it's not like they are going to make the technical or race operations decisions on the team anymore than Mallya did. Mallya put a great group of racing people in charge of that sort of thing which is why Force India always punched above their weight with limited resources. The Stroll consortium will do the same -- provide the money (and a driver) and get out of the way.
              Even if they are an investment group, they also have to know what and where to invest in. While the team may tell them, I'm not sure they will correctly follow that, especially if little Stroll struggles- since he seems to be a pretty poor vehicle development driver.

Mallya didn't have the same kind of skin in the game, so other than trying to get an Indian driver, his interests are not nearly as personal, so he was able to manage the investment pretty darned well. Other than the fact that he lost HUGE money, which lead to the demise of the team.

I just don't see Stroll Sr getting out of the way with Stroll Jr as a key member of the team, and that's a problem.

Comment

Dixon signs a multi-year deal with Ganassi which is the smart choice.

Rumors are starting in an announcement from Alonso tomorrow.

I can’t help but think he’s going to INDYCAR. Why else post a cryptic tweet about a presser? If he’s staying it’s not a reason for a hyped announcement I wouldn’t think.

We’ll see.
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

So Alonso will not be driving for McLaren in 2019 https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-in-f1-in-2019

Not all that surprising of news, but interesting. No announcement of where he will race next.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    So Alonso will not be driving for McLaren in 2019 https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-in-f1-in-2019

Not all that surprising of news, but interesting. No announcement of where he will race next.
                    INDYCAR or he replaces raikonnen at Ferrari IF his ego can handle Vettel as teammate.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                      INDYCAR or he replaces raikonnen at Ferrari IF his ego can handle Vettel as teammate.
                      a) Ferrari will never take him back, and b) he said he is not racing in F1 in 2019.
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

a) Ferrari will never take him back, and b) he said he is not racing in F1 in 2019.
                        I'm sure it will be INDYCAR and with whom is down to maybe 1 or 2 teams. It's definitely going to set off a lot of changes in F1 though. I think you'll see a couple of the development drivers moved up to regular seats and musical seats from everyone else.

Comment

I saw where one of the Andretti's blamed Wickens today for the crash on lap 7, but in my mind it was all Hunter Reay. Wickens had overlap and Hunter reay moved over into him and kept moving over until they touched. I think Hunter Reay should be blamed, if anyone, for taking away racing room he should have given. Except he knows Wickens is faster and he doesn't want him to pass so we get this crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            I saw where one of the Andretti's blamed Wickens today for the crash on lap 7, but in my mind it was all Hunter Reay. Wickens had overlap and Hunter reay moved over into him and kept moving over until they touched. I think Hunter Reay should be blamed, if anyone, for taking away racing room he should have given. Except he knows Wickens is faster and he doesn't want him to pass so we get this crap.
                            Agree. RHR caused that accident no doubt. Thankfully Wickens is ok.

I kept thinking no! Not another Greg Moore

My heart coukdn’t Take that.

I hope this doesn’t scare off Fernando.

Comment

Gasly going to Red Bull, and Alonso will sit out this coming week and Norris from F2 will have his seat as a trial.

Comment

Alonso will sit out this coming week and Norris from F2 will have his seat as a trial.
                                NOT true. Norris is only running FP1 in Alonso's car. Not the entire weekend. Alonso will be back in the car for FP2 onwards
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X