Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Dixon's gonna win another championship.

Newgarden, Rossi make mistakes that Dixon simply doesn't make.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Pretty interesting at the end of the German GP, what with Bottas faster than Hamilton but held back and then Alonso crashing out and Kimi's teams messing up the strategy and hamilton violating the rules and getting away with it.
      More to come in a week. I think the Ferrari's will be quicker though.
      Also surprise of the year has to be how fast the Haas team cars are.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        Pretty interesting at the end of the German GP, what with Bottas faster than Hamilton but held back and then Vettel crashing out and Kimi's teams messing up the strategy and hamilton violating the rules and getting away with it.
        More to come in a week. I think the Ferrari's will be quicker though.
        Also surprise of the year has to be how fast the Haas team cars are.
        FYP. Epic crash for Sebastian, especially given the degree of complaining about how much faster he was than Kimi.

It was surprising to see Ferrari mess up a SC tire change call- it was almost as if they were in shock over what Vettel did, and could not adjust.

It also would have been interesting to see if Bottas could have actually passed Hamilton, as Lewis kept ahead at a pretty key moment of a lap. Would that have warmed the tires just enough? Cause for great speculation.

The one part that was fascinating- how Lewis stayed on the soft tires for so long cranking out really good laps after abusing them to pass his way to the front of the grid, comparing that to how Vettel and Raikkonen both abused their soft tires in pretty short order causing them to have some nasty problems. It would have made for an interesting last few laps- although I suspect that Lewis would have gotten as far as being told to pass Bottas and then fighting with Kimi for 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          FYP. Epic crash for Sebastian, especially given the degree of complaining about how much faster he was than Kimi.

It was surprising to see Ferrari mess up a SC tire change call- it was almost as if they were in shock over what Vettel did, and could not adjust.

It also would have been interesting to see if Bottas could have actually passed Hamilton, as Lewis kept ahead at a pretty key moment of a lap. Would that have warmed the tires just enough? Cause for great speculation.

The one part that was fascinating- how Lewis stayed on the soft tires for so long cranking out really good laps after abusing them to pass his way to the front of the grid, comparing that to how Vettel and Raikkonen both abused their soft tires in pretty short order causing them to have some nasty problems. It would have made for an interesting last few laps- although I suspect that Lewis would have gotten as far as being told to pass Bottas and then fighting with Kimi for 2nd.
          For some reason I get those two guys confused on a regular basis. There's a lot of rumblings on other sites that Ferrari is not going to sign Kimi again and might insist instead that he go to Sauber in exchange for LeClerc. I think LeClerc is fast and up and coming but he's not as fast as Kimi and Ferrari has dropped the ball with Kimi several times this year. Word is that Marchionne wanted LeClerc and now that he's gone it's all in turmoil.
          BTW I saw this movie on the airplane recently and it's really worth watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3e5hGgeNoQ
          Last edited by manurespreader; 07-23-2018, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Another issue. Word is that Force india is declaring bankruptcy as early as this week. The team is hoping to be picked up by someone else. They are strong on the scent of Stroll who brings a 30 million dollar sponsorship in. Personally Stroll would be the end of the team.

Comment

For some reason I get those two guys confused on a regular basis. There's a lot of rumblings on other sites that Ferrari is not going to sign Kimi again and might insist instead that he go to Sauber in exchange for LeClerc. I think LeClerc is fast and up and coming but he's not as fast as Kimi and Ferrari has dropped the ball with Kimi several times this year. Word is that Marchionne wanted LeClerc and now that he's gone it's all in turmoil.
              BTW I saw this movie on the airplane recently and it's really worth watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3e5hGgeNoQ
              I know LeClerc is still not quite there, but I really think he's going to win a Championship with Ferrari. I know a lot of credit should be given to Sauber and the team, but I also think a lot of that his Charles, especially considering how much faster than Ericcson.

I'm no FCA fan, but I am really sad that Marchionne is doing so badly- they called it grave this morning on NPR. Big bummer.

And I saw that movie a few weeks ago on a flight home. Interesting, but also kind of sad, illustrating how Ferrari manipulated his drivers and the outcome in that era.

But back to Kimi- I don't know how to read the situation. He's not regularly faster than Seb on one hand, but is driving better than he has in years, on the other. And he's being treated really badly by the team leaders- always bowing down to Vettel. It's almost as if the team has totally forgotten who won them a title, and who beat them to titles.

Comment

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/44984140

Comment

I love F1 but this bull**** of having number 1 and number 2 drivers is degrading. Either let them duke it out in the track or race one car.

Senna/Prost is still the best thing to happen to F1 because they were allowed to each other as hard as possible.

Re: INDYCAR, I hope Rossi wins today with Newgarden second.
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                    I love F1 but this bull**** of having number 1 and number 2 drivers is degrading. Either let them duke it out in the track or race one car.

Senna/Prost is still the best thing to happen to F1 because they were allowed to each other as hard as possible.

Re: INDYCAR, I hope Rossi wins today with Newgarden second.
                    The trouble with having two number ones is you get what happened at Red Bull. Kimi has taken it in the shorts as has Bottas and others over the years. Mercedes won today because they set up Bottas to go a little bit slow and let Hamilton get a good cushion. This saved his tires and he cruised. If he had been forced into using them, the Ferrari's would probably have gone 1/2.
                    You got half your wish anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      The trouble with having two number ones is you get what happened at Red Bull. Kimi has taken it in the shorts as has Bottas and others over the years. Mercedes won today because they set up Bottas to go a little bit slow and let Hamilton get a good cushion. This saved his tires and he cruised. If he had been forced into using them, the Ferrari's would probably have gone 1/2.
                      I just don’t think it’s anything’but a video game if you have a pecking order. That's Why I love when Andretti drivers duke it out, they’re allowed to race each other. Even Penske allows it.

I think Bottas could challenge Hamilton and Vettel but he’s harnessed by bs team orders.
                      Last edited by solovsfett; 07-29-2018, 05:54 PM.
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Given the struggle that Vettel had to pass Bottas, and Hamilton having far better tires, I don't see how the Ferraris could have passed Hamilton. Wrong track. Even if they forced Lewis to drive harder, I just don't see the pass being made. And as much as I really hate Ferrari, I hope that the rule makers see the boring races thanks to how the aero works out. You should not be able to hold off a car that is 1-2 seconds a lap faster than you for that long and that easily.

I'm also not convinced that Bottas is that fast of a driver. There's been plenty of chances where he could have shown his ability, and has not really shown the pace. Good driver, no doubt, but not a great one.

Nice win by Rossi, BTW. And I'm sure there's a lot of crying over him making it a fuel economy run. But looking at his lap times when it mattered, he didn't give up that much. For the most part, he won by a pit stop (ok, it was far less than that, but given how much he had to save, it should have been a lot closer). And better, when he was still working on a FE run, he was closing on drivers who were not. Great drive.

Comment

Speaking of overtaking, here's the rules changes for next year and a little further on. Also a blown rim as he was mentioning, is a wheel center that has air blown out the center of it.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1LlCNgF8DI

Comment

The politics of the Force India situation is getting comical.But the underlying issues have been there for a while and now everyone is finding out.
                            https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/45026461

this is a good article about the costs and benefits of the various racing series. I'd say indycar has turned a corner and is doing a lot better but losing Verizon will be a blow.
                            http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/...ar-and-indycar

thirdly,
                            You might have watched a little of the free stream of the Mazda road to indy races from mid Ohio this last week. It' not cheap to run a team in this series but it is good racing, a lot better training than indy lights, but Mazda is not going to sponsor it after this year. They will need a new sponsor, though I think the series will survive.

And last, this last weekend at Road America in Wisconsin, a Formula C racer on a test day was killed in the Kink. ( one of the fastest corners in American road racing. A suspension piece on his car broke and he hit a cement wall. ) This is the second American killed this year in amatuer open wheel racing. The first was a man from Illinois up at A canadian track driving a Formula A. He lost control of his car and hit a wall also. There are barriers that could have been in place in each of these events that might not have resulted in a fatality. I seriously hope tracks do more in prevention.

Comment

And last, this last weekend at Road America in Wisconsin, a Formula C racer on a test day was killed in the Kink. ( one of the fastest corners in American road racing. A suspension piece on his car broke and he hit a cement wall. ) This is the second American killed this year in amatuer open wheel racing. The first was a man from Illinois up at A canadian track driving a Formula A. He lost control of his car and hit a wall also. There are barriers that could have been in place in each of these events that might not have resulted in a fatality. I seriously hope tracks do more in prevention.
                              At Mosport during Canada's largest vintage weekend driving a Formula 5000 car, a 1972 Lola T300. Jeff Green, from Illinois, was an established race car driver who also competed in Formula Mazda and was quite competitive. So, he wasn't the typical "weekend" racer. He also helped bankroll Victor Franzoni's Indy Lights ride.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                                At Mosport during Canada's largest vintage weekend driving a Formula 5000 car, a 1972 Lola T300. Jeff Green, from Illinois, was an established race car driver who also competed in Formula Mazda and was quite competitive. So, he wasn't the typical "weekend" racer. He also helped bankroll Victor Franzoni's Indy Lights ride.
                                I miss Formula 5000 races at The Glen.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X