Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Well, thanks to the "GP2 engine" comment, Andretti is off the table since they run Honda engines. But, yea- I'd bet that Ed Carpenter would be happy to add a third car, and a 3rd data point to his team. Take an already fast team and give them more information would be a good thing.
    I missed that comment, was with regard to F1struggles with Honda a few years back?
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

RIP Niki Lauda😢😢😢

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        RIP Niki Lauda😢😢😢
        Too soon.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Too soon.
          Yeah, ****. This one hits home.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-48345660

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            I missed that comment, was with regard to F1struggles with Honda a few years back?
            Yes. http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/13...-engine-suzuka

To the other news- very sad news about Lauda- I was a fan of his when he was a teammate of Prost, and I started watching F1 as a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
              RIP Niki Lauda������
              We should all watch Rush tonight in honor of him.

One of the toughest SOBs around.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                We should all watch Rush tonight in honor of him.

One of the toughest SOBs around.
                I love that movie!

Comment

For those of you wondering about high rake cars.
                  https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47838557
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    For those of you wondering about high rake cars.
                    https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47838557
                    Nice find! And thanks for posting that. It's been really interesting to see the field copy the Newey concept, even though Mercedes has had continued success with the low rake design. One comment in the article was very odd, though- at the end:

However, on a low-rake car, the floor sits lower against the tyre face. As the car goes around the track and sees the same movement up or down, the gap between tyre and floor will change much more. This can make the job of tuning the aerodynamic devices harder.
                    Even though, Mercedes has been able to consistently tune their car better than the rest of the field. And this year, they have been able to tweak the concept so well that they may have solved their low speed downforce issues of years past- which we will find out more this weekend. But no question that Mercedes has been able to tune around the tires far, far, far more effectively than other teams. Yes, they had their weak tracks, but the delta is much smaller than the rest of the field robustness issues.

Newey may be great, but he's not everything.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      Nice find! And thanks for posting that. It's been really interesting to see the field copy the Newey concept, even though Mercedes has had continued success with the low rake design. One comment in the article was very odd, though- at the end:

Even though, Mercedes has been able to consistently tune their car better than the rest of the field. And this year, they have been able to tweak the concept so well that they may have solved their low speed downforce issues of years past- which we will find out more this weekend. But no question that Mercedes has been able to tune around the tires far, far, far more effectively than other teams. Yes, they had their weak tracks, but the delta is much smaller than the rest of the field robustness issues.

Newey may be great, but he's not everything.
                      During the second week of winter testing, Mercedes brought in 1500 new parts. Almost all of them were aerodynamic in nature.

Williams is finally making progress vs the rest of the field and they are bringing the gap to the field down slightly every race. It could be that at Monaco, finally, they are equal to the lower mid field teams.
                      Renault has got to be the biggest disappointment of the season so far. If it's not an engineering error, it s a driver error or something else. I see the organizers are working to have a number of components be spec. this week it was fuel delivery systems. They also are working towards 25 GP's, which I think is 4 too many.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

After watching F1 from almost 40 years, I have come to expect Renault to underperform. They are the only factory backed team that hasn't really demonstrated that they are WC capable, as a whole team. Their powertrains have done great things, but the team... eh. The 2005 & 2006 seasons that they did win was more Flavio Briatore than Renault. And that has proven to be their peak starting in '77.

They are a crazy team, recently- where customer engine teams have consistently been better. How does that happen for such a big corporation?

Did you see Marc's Vlog about the expansion of races- it's going to be the hardest on the workers. I'm not a fan. Worse, for us personally, we had planned out our first year of retirement where we go see the Spanish GP and then Monaco after taking a trans-Atlantic cruise. Now that's out the window.

Comment

Let's not forget the affect of the thinner tread tires Pirelli is using this year to cut down on the blistering. The three races last year where they used those thin tread tires turned into a huge advantage for Mercedes. Now that they are using these tires all year, it should be no surprise Mercedes is dominating like none other. For whatever reason (though, I'm sure Mercedes knows...), their chassis is able to handle the thinner tread tires better than anyone else and get them into that perfect operating temperature range. That's been the biggest struggle for Ferrari (and naturally Haas) this year -- getting their chassis to get the tires in the proper temperature range.
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Did you see Marc's Vlog about the expansion of races- it's going to be the hardest on the workers. I'm not a fan. Worse, for us personally, we had planned out our first year of retirement where we go see the Spanish GP and then Monaco after taking a trans-Atlantic cruise. Now that's out the window.
                            I don't think Spain is totally dead. Mostly dead perhaps... (Notice how they did not announce the date for the Dutch GP? It was supposed to be announced as the same date Spain always gets. But they held off, just saying they will "squeeze" it in before Monaco. That tells me Spain is not (yet) off the calendar.)

So, do the Dutch and Monaco GP double. That can be just as fun.
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                              Let's not forget the affect of the thinner tread tires Pirelli is using this year to cut down on the blistering. The three races last year where they used those thin tread tires turned into a huge advantage for Mercedes. Now that they are using these tires all year, it should be no surprise Mercedes is dominating like none other. For whatever reason (though, I'm sure Mercedes knows...), their chassis is able to handle the thinner tread tires better than anyone else and get them into that perfect operating temperature range. That's been the biggest struggle for Ferrari (and naturally Haas) this year -- getting their chassis to get the tires in the proper temperature range.
                              True, but it was all teams that asked for the tire change.

Still, after 5 years of domination, you would think one team would try to copy the concept of low rake.

Comment

True, but it was all teams that asked for the tire change.

Still, after 5 years of domination, you would think one team would try to copy the concept of low rake.
                                All teams asked to stop the blistering. I think it was Pirelli that came up with the solution. And, I don't think teams realized and/or appreciated the consequences of a thinner tread tire. For whatever reason, Mercedes has it figured out while the others don't. Does it have to do with the rake they chose? Something else? I have no clue. That's starting to get above my pay grade...
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X