Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
    Not sure what you mean. I bet you can explain in more detail so that the rest of us can follow.
    A previous poster thought little of the opinions offered by most of us who post here and referred to him/her self as a "high end hockey coach". My reference to former UMD coach Shannon Miller was offered in jest.

I feel for the Maine fans; I realize that you hoped for a far better season. At the time Miller started at UMD, the sport was growing so quickly that she could attract some world-class players with her reputation and quickly build a winner with her coaching ability. It's much slower now. When a program hires a very good coach, it quickly becomes apparent that other teams have great players and are well-coached as well. Gains are slow and difficult to sustain.

However, we can look at a program like Colgate to see what is possible. The Raiders certainly weren't world-beaters when Greg Fargo took over. I've never met your current coaches. I met Maria Lewis once and talked with her a couple of other times, and I was always very impressed. I think that she would have eventually built a consistent winner at Maine. Your current staff may as well, but it won't be easy, partly because location seems to be a bigger factor in the women's game than it is in the men's. I've never been to Orono. I expect that I'd like it, but that doesn't mean that it will be the first choice of the average ~ 20 yr old woman.

Good luck and thanks for supporting the sport and your team.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Maine girl's lost on their own accord. They will have to be better next season. They have no one to blame but themselves.
      Open and close season....players/coaches all knew and looked the other way....so what happen this season is more or less a sour experience that unlike last years fun/great ride...will be remembered for the negative and all the good has gone by the way side....too bad as they had the talent and wasted it. One has to wonder the year before Washer gone...this season Jauques gone and when they open next September who else will be gone...???? And for those who don't know, these two girls were let go...….and you wonder WHY. Ask around......

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        Almost every single one of your posts so far is grousing about something with some team that isn't even your own. Just a heads up. You might want to intersperse some real posts in with your troll act to make it a little less obvious.
        I believe we have two LIB T A R D S fighting each other here. Anyways, they fought in a bar because of their age and beer. Give them a break... they lost to UVM who sucks something awful. Sorry... tied but you get the point. Heading to the BC thread soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
          Open and close season....players/coaches all knew and looked the other way....so what happen this season is more or less a sour experience that unlike last years fun/great ride...will be remembered for the negative and all the good has gone by the way side....too bad as they had the talent and wasted it. One has to wonder the year before Washer gone...this season Jauques gone and when they open next September who else will be gone...???? And for those who don't know, these two girls were let go...….and you wonder WHY. Ask around......
          You can probably tell me without being so secretive.

Comment

I've heard this is the second incident since Christmas with the same players. Can't be good for morale.....

Comment

Being a Capt. players today do not know how to be a Capt. It has become a title. Colleges do have programs for leadership but the players do not realize it is a huge responsibilty. Just because you are the best player does not carry over to being a good Capt. It happens all of the time. A Capt is an extension of the coach. Coaches will pick there Capt because the person who should be the Capt the coaches do not like. It becomes a political game with in the program. Have a Capt and 2 asst Capt who are underclassman. It is an honor to wear the C on their jersey. Who holds the Captains accountable. At times the coaches do not listen to Capts. It becomes a title. Is Connor McDavid a good Capt. Yes he is the best player. Is he to young. Who taught him to become a good Capt. Joe Thornton was a Capt for a long time. I do not think he had the correct ability to be a Capt. He has not been a Capt for a number of years for the Sharks. Maine Capts failed and the coaches failed by not making a change. There is a leadership problem.
              Last edited by baseball fan; 03-01-2019, 12:54 PM.

Comment

The season is DONE...moving on...no more talk...waiting for September to see if...…………………...

Comment

Originally posted by baseball fan View Post
                  Being a Capt. players today do not know how to be a Capt. It has become a title. Colleges do have programs for leadership but the players do not realize it is a huge responsibilty. Just because you are the best player does not carry over to being a good Capt. It happens all of the time. A Capt is an extension of the coach. Coaches will pick there Capt because the person who should be the Capt the coaches do not like. It becomes a political game with in the program. Have a Capt and 2 asst Capt who are underclassman. It is an honor to wear the C on their jersey. Who holds the Captains accountable. At times the coaches do not listen to Capts. It becomes a title. Is Connor McDavid a good Capt. Yes he is the best player. Is he to young. Who taught him to become a good Capt. Joe Thornton was a Capt for a long time. I do not think he had the correct ability to be a Capt. He has not been a Capt for a number of years for the Sharks. Maine Capts failed and the coaches failed by not making a change. There is a leadership problem.
                  Leadership is not a given....good points.

Comment

Being a Capt. players today do not know how to be a Capt. It has become a title.
                    That's way too general a statement, and I'll offer Penn State's Kelsey Crow as an example of the opposite.

Comment

I have been looking for a place like this, where I can unburden myself by making vague, somewhat troubling statements. Here goes:

I have seen some things a guy shouldn't see.

Comment

General statement. I am sure there are outstanding leaders out in womens hockey but in this case there are problems. So many problems with womens hockey that nobody wants to talk about. We are talking about problems and life styles off the ice.

The season is over move on. Really. Someone knows the the real problems this team was having. Your answer is move on. That elephant in the room is not going away.
                        Bottom line is what was going on. It has been a week and not one person has addressed what happened. How it happened. Oh no some did. The players were drinking that was the reason. The player that was charged for OUI was she of age to drink in the bar. Who let her drive. (Who cares season is over move on) Who ever said season over is a loser. if some got hurt and that was your child who got injured. Would you be saying " Season over Let's move on.

Comment

General statement. I am sure there are outstanding leaders out in womens hockey but in this case there are problems. So many problems with womens hockey that nobody wants to talk about. We are talking about problems and life styles off the ice.

The season is over move on. Really. Someone knows the the real problems this team was having. Your answer is move on. That elephant in the room is not going away.
                          Bottom line is what was going on. It has been a week and not one person has addressed what happened. How it happened. Oh no some did. The players were drinking that was the reason. The player that was charged for OUI was she of age to drink in the bar. Who let her drive. (Who cares season is over move on) Who ever said season over is a loser. If someone got hurt and that was your child who got injured. Would you be saying " Season over Let's move on.

Comment

Someone is mad as hell, and he's not going to take it anymore.

Comment

Year in review...
                              https://www.theicegarden.com/2019/3/...and-holy-cross

Comment

Bottom line is what was going on. It has been a week and not one person has addressed what happened. How it happened. Oh no some did. The players were drinking that was the reason. The player that was charged for OUI was she of age to drink in the bar. Who let her drive. (Who cares season is over move on) Who ever said season over is a loser. if some got hurt and that was your child who got injured. Would you be saying " Season over Let's move on.
                                Talking about the hockey season and what went on during the season....ok loser....not allowing someone to drive while drinking is a no/no in my book also...so read the issue's not think you know it all...ok loser?

Comment

Working...
                                X