X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Split between Oahu and Kauai.
    I’ve never been to Kauai. Did Oahu for work, Maui three times on vacation (all on miles thanks to being a big 4 consultant) and then big island last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
      I’ve never been to Kauai. Did Oahu for work, Maui three times on vacation (all on miles thanks to being a big 4 consultant) and then big island last year.
      I knew I was going to have to split it somehow, and my parents have talked up Kauai for years. It rains a lot, but it's the least developed you can get short of going to Molokai.

Everytime I think "Fck this job", I just picture the miles and points bank. It's worked for over 3 years now.

Comment

• Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Enjoy it, I quit traveling years ago and it sucks paying for vacations.

Big island is pretty undeveloped too, but all the islands are so different from each other. Never been to Molokai.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
          Enjoy it, I quit traveling years ago and it sucks paying for vacations.

Big island is pretty undeveloped too, but all the islands are so different from each other. Never been to Molokai.
          Seems to me a lot of MDs quit traveling unless they have to (if it's some F100 account). Don't blame them, really. When I do a month or more straight to the same location without a break it gets pretty old. You start frequenting the same reliable haunts for dinner instead of exploring, etc. This past winter my client was my longest traveling streak in my time at the firm (Sept-Feb, almost every week). Which I know is basically nothing compared to some of these 2-year engagements.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            .... these 2-year engagements.
            chicken feed
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Tickets to Bucharest Romania booked. Going to visit a friend that will be just over the border in Bulgaria. He's going to play tour guide for us.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                Tickets to Bucharest Romania booked. Going to visit a friend that will be just over the border in Bulgaria. He's going to play tour guide for us.
                Deep envy. Have a great time and please post pics.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Deep envy. Have a great time and please post pics.
                  looking forward to it. We won't be spending much time in Romania, although I'd love to. Most of our time will be in Bulgaria where our friend will be staying. He works here, but his H1-B visa is close to expiring. Our employer is sponsoring him for permanent residency, but by him leaving the U.S. for a couple months gives them more time. His family owns a bunch of vacation rentals on the Black Sea in Bulgaria, so we'll spend a little time there. He is also part owner of a farm that one of his friend runs near the Central Balkan National Park, so we plan on staying there for a bit too. He's also talking about taking us to rent a room in a monastery in the mountains, and visiting Roman archeological sites.

Comment

Mookie wants to head to see both Bulgaria and Romania. If not next summer the following
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                      looking forward to it. We won't be spending much time in Romania, although I'd love to. Most of our time will be in Bulgaria where our friend will be staying. He works here, but his H1-B visa is close to expiring. Our employer is sponsoring him for permanent residency, but by him leaving the U.S. for a couple months gives them more time. His family owns a bunch of vacation rentals on the Black Sea in Bulgaria, so we'll spend a little time there. He is also part owner of a farm that one of his friend runs near the Central Balkan National Park, so we plan on staying there for a bit too. He's also talking about taking us to rent a room in a monastery in the mountains, and visiting Roman archeological sites.
                      This sounds so cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                        Kauai is great. Laid back and beautiful.

Comment

Putting a trip together for Dublin and Belfast in November. We're going for the Friendship Four tournament, but not doing the travel package offered by any schools. I can only get about 7 days off from work consecutively, so we're on limited time. Got all the books from our library, but always looking for in person recommendations from anyone here who has been. Thinking of AirBnb-ing it.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            Mookie wants to head to see both Bulgaria and Romania. If not next summer the following
                            Be sure to tell them you're Hungarian. They love that.

Last edited by Kepler; 07-11-2019, 10:53 AM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                              Putting a trip together for Dublin and Belfast in November. We're going for the Friendship Four tournament, but not doing the travel package offered by any schools. I can only get about 7 days off from work consecutively, so we're on limited time. Got all the books from our library, but always looking for in person recommendations from anyone here who has been. Thinking of AirBnb-ing it.
                              Ugh, I'm jealous. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Belfast: Titanic museum was fantastic, very close to the arena. My dad and I also really enjoyed the https://www.crumlinroadgaol.com/. I think we mainly wandered and walked the city on our own outside of those, we did one of the hop-on/hop-off to see the major sites and get to the Crum. I think we spent 3 days in Belfast, obviously the hockey took up a good chunk of it. I really relied on Google maps/Yelp for food ideas, I don't remember anything from Belfast screaming out in my head as far as that goes, but as we wandered, if we saw a bar we thought looked neat, we'd venture in for 1, sometimes more. Really great people, some with quite heavy accents, but we greatly enjoyed our time throughout.

Dublin: Believe we spent 2 or 3 additional days in Dublin. We took the train down, cost was very reasonable and some really pretty views going down the coast. I had already been to Dublin while I was in college, so I had a little idea of things worth doing when we went.

We did the Guinness tour, it's worth it though a bit touristy, being able to enjoy a pint from the observation tower overlooking Dublin is very cool. Highly recommend spending atleast a night in the Temple Bar area going from establishment to establishment, enjoying live music and singing, the best part is if you lose interest at one place, it isn't a far walk to find something better. Had a really good meal at https://www.brazenhead.com/. Really neat place, it's a bunch of different rooms/bars with communal tables to eat at. Otherwise I think most of our meals were more a case of finding places as we wandered or doing a search and looking for things that seemed good to check out, The Temple Bar area is really good for that also.

We did the hop-on/hop-off in Dublin as well. Just a convenient way to see the major sites without having to hoof around (though Dublin and Belfast are both reasonably good walking cities, my Dad's knees can be problematic with too much walking). Lots and lots of really beautiful buildings and places in and around Dublin, especially at night with some of the churches and such.

We stayed in hotels for both places (Radisson Blu in Dublin, Ramada in Belfast), chose mainly for location and price. Both were fine, ended up being very convenient locations.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
                              Last edited by hockeyplayer1015; 07-11-2019, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Gahhhhh! just wrote reviews for trip advisor. Spent a good amt of time and they came out well. It made me use a new user name for some reason. Submitted everything under that. It emailed me under that and now it won't recognize it and has reverted to the old name. Got an initial thank you and then they decided URLs aren't OK (to a freaking Abbey??!!) as it might be advertising. emailed a rejection to me telling me Cut and paste onto a new form except they cut 3/4 of the review off. There are no humans to contact and apparently there are never any that people can get ahold of. Holy fvck. So irritated.

Comment

Working...
                                X