X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Czech men are beautiful. All of them. Mookie was tempted to smoke a cawk

Hungarian people are ugly...in fact, even the Asian women who speak Hungarian are ugly . (Mookie, being an offspring of an adopted father may know his origins )

One has no need to learn a language - any words - if one can smile and has money in their hand

All Eastern European citizen must have seen XxX and thought, “I need a tattoo” when that movie came out

Amazed at subway service here. Thorough and there are no entry barriers for tickets. It’s all on honor system. One buys tickets or passes, but then you just walk into the station or tram or bus and go. Nobody checks. Never work in America cause people are cities would never pay. Amazing.
    I might disagree a little. Hungarians might be ugly, which is debateable, but they have a beautiful language. Subways everywhere are better than here by far.Even Antwerp.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      Was out in Vegas in 2008 and saw them. At first I avoided them. Then the person I was with and I turned it into a game trying to collect them all as if they were trading cards. Would get mad at some of them telling them we already had those ones and wanted different cards.
      I heard about that story. That was hilarious! I tip my cap to that. Edit: it wasn't THAT story, it was a more recent one with the Techies. Still......
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Going to London in the next week. I thought we were doing things as a group and last night after a flurry of emails it turns out the people who 'made the plans' and were booking little excursions, didn't do most of it. and the emails from a few weeks ago with the itinerary were just someone typing for the hell of it ( <-- this part goes in the grind your gears thread). Good thing is now I get to do what I want. Bad thing is most of the things they were 'dealing with' included stuff like how to get to the airport and back. Whirlwind planning is now in action if I don't get arrested or divorced before then.

So, for those of you with practice at London/UK- We are in VauxHall/Lambeth area with the nearest Tube station 1/2 mile away and the next nearest ones close to a mile. (another GYG thread item- who the fvck doesn't look at this stuff? opposite side of the Thames from everything, nothing close to what we were planning to do and why was I foolish enough to think mr les would notice)

Got an Oyster card and London Pass. Hoping the Oyster Pass gets here in time if not all bets are off and I will be in jail instead of traveling. Have used these before but it was >10 yrs ago- any hints?

Flying in to Heathrow mid morning during the week. Hotel is 1/2 mile from the Vauxhall Tube station- Oyster gives break on Heathrow express or something like that- I need to get us to Hotel- Taxi is ridiculous- anyone have thought re taking train and transfering wither to cab or just hoofing the 1/2 mile?

Hotel does not provide breakfast even tho the cost looks like a little tomte should be serving it to you in bed. Also need to do aother meals but that is for later. We are in the Vauxhall area- any suggestions? Would it be worth throwing poptarts in the suit case and calling it a day?

Doing the Parliament/Westminster tour one day, jazz cruise on the Thames another. We have one day to do the Hop on Hop Off and will probably try to do the cluster of things by the Tower as last time we got shut out of that because we were too late. Thinking we may end that day going to either Evensong at St Pauls or Sung Holy Eucharist at Westminster. We have to be by Aldesgate by 7. Both of those start at 5. We went to Evensong at Westminster last time- BEAUTIFUL. Trying to figure out if we want to see the pomp of the big deal or try the new venue. Anyone done either?

We have a Visa CC that doesn't charge exchange. Trying to figure out how much cash to get and where. Pretty sure it is better here than there but haven't looked into it yet. Thoughts?

There were more questions roiling around my head at 2AM this morning but I seem to have lost them. mr les is still alive. it was a close call.

Comment

Wow. that sounds like its going to be a stress free trip Les!

Hope it goes well.
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
            Wow. that sounds like its going to be a stress free trip Les!

Hope it goes well.
            No one is dead yet. I have traveled internationally since I was 10. Never felt this stressed. Last night I was so p1ssed I was speechless- a feat of incredible magnitude. I asked mr les this morning if he had considered any of this before I started to ask questions. "I'm not going to lie, I hadn't started to think about it." When were you? "I don't know" GOD SAVE ME! How was this working out? Magic????? My fingers would be exhausted if I typed all that I am thinking.

Comment

If you do get cash on arrival, whatever you do avoid Travelex like the plague and find a bank-branded ATM.

Heathrow Express will dump you off at Paddington. From there, if you're sticking to mass transit you'll need to transfer to the Tubes and consult a line map to determine further transfers. At that point, coming off a red eye flight, I would probably say "fark it" and get the black cab, as it's only 2-3 miles from there to your 'hood.

Comment

Airport fx are the devil.
                Never feel bad asking for spreads, and if they are too big say “f no!” and walk away. ATM fees (3-8%) are usually better than the mark up at fx stores. The atm will tell you as well their fee. Les can always cancel and wd her card.

Who the hell stays in Vauxhall???

Oyster cards are cool. Mookie always tops his off before leaving so it’s ready to go upon return. (Actually do that everywhere as his rabbit card is ready to be put to use next weeeknd upon landing).

Les and get on the tube at heathrow with her oyster and switch at green park on the Victoria line....from there two stops to Vauxhall. You will be above ground to earl’s court and get to see the neighborhoods at least. Cheapest option and make mr carry yer bags as punishment

At least the Victoria line gets you to everywhere you want to go with minimal connections.

Sorry, but have stayed nearly everywhere except Vauxhall....because again, why??
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Airport fx are the devil.
                  Never feel bad asking for spreads, and if they are too big say “f no!” and walk away. ATM fees (3-8%) are usually better than the mark up at fx stores. The atm will tell you as well their fee. Les can always cancel and wd her card.

Who the hell stays in Vauxhall???

Oyster cards are cool. Mookie always tops his off before leaving so it’s ready to go upon return. (Actually do that everywhere as his rabbit card is ready to be put to use next weeeknd upon landing).

Les and get on the tube at heathrow with her oyster and switch at green park on the Victoria line....from there two stops to Vauxhall. You will be above ground to earl’s court and get to see the neighborhoods at least. Cheapest option and make mr carry yer bags as punishment

At least the Victoria line gets you to everywhere you want to go with minimal connections.

Sorry, but have stayed nearly everywhere except Vauxhall....because again, why??
                  Thanks mookie! Is it better to get the exchange here or wait? we were planning to get at least some pounds here. The plan is to use the credit card as much as possible as there is no fee to exchange.

As to Vauxhall~ My question exactly. Because there was no thought put into any of this. I don't get it. I know I am a bit anal about planning. Having a dad who did that for gubmint makes one have attention to detail. I may be a bit excessive but this one totally eludes me. It isn't near anything we were talking about doing.

And an update- while I am wading thru the planning mr les is off playing golf with a buddy (they planned this last week). Am I a totally evil person to be gleeful that it has been driving, pouring rain the whole time he has been on the course? Karma is a b1tch.

Comment

if les can get pounds for going rate, get a couple sure. again you want to see the spread between buy$ and sell$ (or buyGBP/sellGBP). if those are close go ahead. think today it was $1.27/gbp. depends if you can find anything under $1.36 then (mookie wouldn't pay over $136 for gbp100)

if you have oyster cards that tube (piccadilly line to victoria line) will be no cash. so you can then run from there. agree with the cc. if you are not charged a fee you can buy pretty much anthing without converting a dime. always though nice to have cash if you drop into a pub or whatnot and not have to made the bartender run a credit card. or get a paper. or a cadbury bar

Comment

Mrs. GE always gets us some walking around money before we leave. We bank with WF and they have always had the pounds and euros we need.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                      Twenty red lights in his honor
                      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Thanks again! (really, really mean it!!) This has been so helpful. Looking at map not too much by where we are so to get food is going to be interesting. There is a grocery close to us so that might be what we do- bread, cheese.

Bringing britta water bottles- they save us a mint when we travel

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                          Thanks again! (really, really mean it!!) This has been so helpful. Looking at map not too much by where we are so to get food is going to be interesting. There is a grocery close to us so that might be what we do- bread, cheese.

I never leave for vacation without my Britta filter bottles. It started after getting tired of drinking terrible water in Orlando and again in Detroit at the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

mookie sees a tesco east of vauxhall sta. and a sainsbury south across from the us embassy.
                            when mookie stays in kensington there is a sainsbury 5min from the hotel.

Comment

mookie sees a tesco east of vauxhall sta. and a sainsbury south across from the us embassy.
                              when mookie stays in kensington there is a sainsbury 5min from the hotel.
                              mookie if I were to be able to reach thru the intertubes I would kiss you

Comment

les however is north of there mookie is guessing .....

Comment

Working...
                                X