This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

I've never had an issue flying on later flights. Most times, I don't have a choice, either the flight schedule, or my schedule dictates when I'm flying. If I need to fly after work...hard to fly before noon. Also, good luck getting to Europe, leaving before noon.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      I've never had an issue flying on later flights. Most times, I don't have a choice, either the flight schedule, or my schedule dictates when I'm flying. If I need to fly after work...hard to fly before noon. Also, good luck getting to Europe, leaving before noon.
      Agreed. Work schedule usually dictates flight times. But I usually take morning flights out and afternoon flights back. I've never had issues either. If there are issues, you're going to be ****ed anyways.

International I prefer the late evening flights out to Europe, last flight if possible. I prefer the 1 PM Delta out of Amsterdam back. Late evening on the way out means you land early afternoon. Enough to get to the hotel, maybe take a walk around whatever city you're in, grab a small bite to eat, and sleep. Helps me reset my clock faster by staying up. If I'm traveling for work, they usually recommend the Friday 7 or 9 PM Delta out of Minneapolis. It gives you a travel day and a Sunday to get ready for working on Monday.

For domestic, I definitely prefer something like 10 AM flights out. Easier to figure out getting dropped off at the airport. Whomever is kind enough to drive me just drops me off at the airport and drives to work. You usually get in early enough to have a halfday to do whatever if you're flying east and almost a full day if you're flying west. Coming back, I don't like to have early morning flights. It just sucks too much because you usually have to pack, checkout, and get to the airport. I don't like being rushed. Any time after 1 PM is ideal. Gives you plenty of time to get to the airport so you don't miss a flight, and you land late afternoon. You still have time to unpack and get a load of laundry going before you eat and head to bed.

But if I'm flying domestic for leisure, prices can shift those around.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
        I didn't think to bother you about this. Any chance you'll be home the first week in February? I'll be down there the 4th through 8th (leaving early in the day -- gotta work that night) if you want to grab drinks.
        I'm not, back to work the 30th, unfortunately.

Comment

Also, good luck getting to Europe, leaving before noon.
          It can be done, but only on a few airlines from JFK to LHR, and the price is always high since you arrive around dinnertime and don't have to try and sleep on the plane. You obviously lose a whole day getting over there though.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            It can be done, but only on a few airlines from JFK to LHR, and the price is always high since you arrive around dinnertime and don't have to try and sleep on the plane. You obviously lose a whole day getting over there though.
            I like leaving about 5 pm eastern time and getting in about 6 30 or 7. I usually connect somewhere from AMS or catch a train, so I get to my hotel around 3.
            coming home I try for the first flight out so that I can clear customs in NYC or whereever and connect home and still get home by 6. Domestically there is no doubt that as you go thru the day there are more delays and broken airplanes. Usually the first flight of the day is all good, so I get up early for that. Also if you are going somewhere in the south during the summer, the typical thunderstorm starts up about 2 pm so I like earlier flights so there are no issues. I like being at my destination before 2. Charlotte and Atlanta are particularly bad from that point of view.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

can from logan as well. done the BA to LHR many times.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Worth a listen.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jax-4ScqNk&t=5837s
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

All Norway transportation and hotels are booked.

Flying into Bergen - stay one night
                  Fly to Tromso - stay 3 nights
                  Fly to Trondheim - stay 1 night
                  Hurtigruten Ferry from Trondheim to Bergen - overnight trip, then stay in Bergen 2 nights
                  Flam Railway tour round trip from Bergen

There is one more fjord tour we're considering - just a 3 hour one out of Bergen.

Comment

Get your layers ready for up north. I’m off to Finland in 10 days, the MN weather this week is perfect chance to test all my gear as it won’t get any colder up in the arctic circle than here this week

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      Get your layers ready for up north. I’m off to Finland in 10 days, the MN weather this week is perfect chance to test all my gear as it won’t get any colder up in the arctic circle than here this week
                      You would be correct.

Ok, it's bad enough with temps, but then that bi* Mother Nature decides to warm up for two days just to drop a sh*load of snow on us and then drop the temp like crazy again.

F*ing whore.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                        There is one more fjord tour we're considering - just a 3 hour one out of Bergen.
                        Hardangerfjord? We rented a car in Bergen and drove to Hardangerfjord, and checked it out. Just got to the north side of the fjord, but it was a fun, very scenic drive. There is a really awesome, scenic waterfall, behind a big red barn just outside of Norheimsund. Like looking at a postcard.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Hardangerfjord? We rented a car in Bergen and drove to Hardangerfjord, and checked it out. Just got to the north side of the fjord, but it was a fun, very scenic drive. There is a really awesome, scenic waterfall, behind a big red barn just outside of Norheimsund. Like looking at a postcard.
                          Mostraumen. I think the Hardangerfjord tour took too long.

Comment

Anyone here been to Taiwan?

Comment

Anyone here been to Taiwan?
                              Many times, but not in about 3 years. What do you want to know?
                              Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

• Originally posted by Hopkinja View Post
                                Many times, but not in about 3 years. What do you want to know?
                                What are the two or three best national parks? Must-see museums/landmarks/heritage sites?

Besides Taipei, which of the smaller cities would you recommend considering?

How big is the language barrier? Obviously I am not going to be anywhere near fluent in Mandarin by November. Can I assume young professionals in Taipei may know some English, but otherwise it is basically nonexistent?

Cultural Dos and Don'ts (other than the obvious avoiding discussion of relations with the PRC).

Probably looking at about 8 days over there, so would you recommend sticking to the northern half, or is it worth heading south for a few days?

Comment

Working...
                                X