WWE: Things Are About To Get Rowdy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WWE: Things Are About To Get Rowdy

WWE does an empty arena at their training facility.

CM Punk says what we’re all thinking:
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Just wait until mania is held there in a couple weeks
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Saw a few old posts mentioning Antonino Rocca, Buddy Rogers, Killer Kowalski, Sailor Art Thomas, June Byers, Haystacks Calhoun, Bruno Sammartino, Sweet Daddy Siki, Edouard Carpentier, Zebra Kid and Sky Low Low. Anybody remember Karl Von Hess, Handsome Johnny Barend, Magnificent Maurice and Happy Humphrey?

Comment

Originally posted by LAKingsFan26 View Post
          Saw a few old posts mentioning Antonino Rocca, Buddy Rogers, Killer Kowalski, Sailor Art Thomas, June Byers, Haystacks Calhoun, Bruno Sammartino, Sweet Daddy Siki, Edouard Carpentier, Zebra Kid and Sky Low Low. Anybody remember Karl Von Hess, Handsome Johnny Barend, Magnificent Maurice and Happy Humphrey?
          I came along a little late for those people.

Other than WWE, I have a friend in a small promotion in the UP, so I keep up with him and his career.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I remember Happy Humphrey in the ring against Haystacks Calhoun (there was barely enough room for a referee!) i sure do remember June Byers but i was more the Fabulous Moolah type myself. And Edoard Carpentier? He was even more acrobatic with far better moves than Rocca. Do you recall the Anayas - both Hurricane and Cyclone?
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Mookie recalls going to the civic arena in Pittsburgh and yelling “Bruno sucks!” While he was a guest in piper’s pit. People threatened mookie with bodily harm

Comment

I've watched several episodes of Dark Side of the Ring. A few things that struck me:

*1. I knew I hadn't paid attention besides unintentional exposure for quite some time, but I bet it's been since the early 90's at the latest I hand't given a crap about pro wrestling
                2. I didn't realize how often they wrestled beyond what you see on TV
                3. They appear to have a higher degree of effed up athletes than most sports
                4. Vince McMahon should be in prison if not for any specific broken laws but for being one of the scummiest people alive

Not a slam or judgement toward anyone that remains a fan.

*The only reason I learned about the death of Chad Gaspard was my younger son mentioned it a few minutes ago.
                Last edited by Slap Shot; 05-21-2020, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento
                  I remember Happy Humphrey in the ring against Haystacks Calhoun (there was barely enough room for a referee!) i sure do remember June Byers but i was more the Fabulous Moolah type myself. And Edoard Carpentier? He was even more acrobatic with far better moves than Rocca. Do you recall the Anayas - both Hurricane and Cyclone?
                  Just learned of the Anayas courtesy of your posts. They were before my time like the other names but I was familiar w/ the others due to my research about '50s and '60s wrestling in recent yrs. Read that Vince McMahon Sr. often promoted matches between Humphrey and Calhoun at Madison Square Garden in the late '50s as they were quite the attractions due to their size. If you're interested you can find a clip of Karl Von Hess against Ricki Starr (not sure if that name rings a bell) on YouTube. Also there's a six-man tag match w/ Buddy Rogers, Handsome Johnny Barend and Magnificent Maurice vs. Sailor Art Thomas, Bobo Brazil and Dory Dixon. I figured if you remember Rogers you might recall Barend as the two teamed in the early '60s? How about Cowboy Bob Ellis?

Originally posted by mookie1995
                  Mookie recalls going to the civic arena in Pittsburgh and yelling “Bruno sucks!” While he was a guest in piper’s pit. People threatened mookie with bodily harm
                  *Chuckles* That's gold. You were brave for that b/c Sammartino is royalty in Pittsburgh.

Originally posted by Slap Shot
                  I've watched several episodes of Dark Side of the Ring. A few things that struck me:

*1. I knew I hadn't paid attention besides unintentional exposure for quite some time, but I bet it's been since the early 90's at the latest I hand't given a crap about pro wrestling
                  2. I didn't realize how often they wrestled beyond what you see on TV
                  3. They appear to have a higher degree of effed up athletes than most sports
                  4. Vince McMahon should be in prison if not for any specific broken laws but for being one of the scummiest people alive

Not a slam or judgement toward anyone that remains a fan.

*The only reason I learned about the death of Chad Gaspard was my younger son mentioned it a few minutes ago.
                  That was very sad. Not news I expected to hear. But Dark Side of the Ring is a good watch.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    As long as you were down with Ivan Putski I will let it go.

Note: acc. to Wikipedia, Comrade Putski is still with us at 79.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Guess I'm not talking about AEW and Orange Cassidy with you guys...

#old
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

#old
                        You will never know the joy of a Bruno Christmas.

Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak

#old
                          Just a modest 37 😄 but I've developed a strong interest in '50s and '60s wrestling over the last few yrs. Matter of fact I got a book on the history of WWE entitled Capitol Revolution by the wrestling historian Tim Hornbaker. Check it out if you got a chance. He's also got a book on the NWA as well as his latest on the dissolution of wrestling territories in the '80s, Death of the Territories

Originally posted by Kepler
                          You will never know the joy of a Bruno Christmas.

I take it you watched WWWF in the '70s.

Comment

I take it you watched WWWF in the '70s.
                            1978, World Wide Wrestling. I may even have been around as early as Wide World Wrestling before they got sued by Jim McKay's Lawyer Army.

Saturdays on sh-tty UHF channels coming out of places like Moose Jaw, West Virginia and Pig's Knuckle, North Carolina. Incredibly low production value; sometimes the breakaway furniture would fail and actually f-ck a guy up. It was so funny even the Jewish kids watched.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Mookie can vaguely remember when wwf came to his high school while mookie would have been 5th or 6th grade (1979-1980ish). First time up close and personal. Giants of men.
                              Crowd was so raucous that they halted the show and announced wwf would never return to mookie’s town

Comment

The AWA was our local wrestling op before the WW whatever kicked in. Some stars (at least locally, some made it nationally later) that aired in their productions that I can remember:

Adrian Adonis
                                Nick Bockwinkle
                                The Crusher
                                Jim Brunzell
                                Jerry Blackwell
                                Ric Flair
                                Greg and Verne Gagne
                                Hulk Hogan
                                Superstar Billy Graham
                                Curt and Larry Hennig
                                Sheik Adnan El Kaissey
                                Jerry Lawler
                                Rick Martel
                                Wahoo McDaniel
                                Ken Patera
                                Dusty Rhodes
                                The Road Warriors
                                Sgt. Slaughter
                                Superfly Snuka
                                The Crippler
                                Mad Dog Vachon
                                Jesse The Body
                                Baron von Raschke

What I don't know is if any of them were ever exclusive to the AWA and/or if they got their start there.

Comment

Working...
                                X