Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)•m(2)/r^2

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    2.5B over 10 years? That's just barely enough money to keep the lights on for a serious moon shot effort. I don't understand the point.
    That's because that's not the point.

NASA is becoming less about being the space organization to do everything or even finance everything...and more about being one that partners to encourage development of the emerging tech industry.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      That's because that's not the point.

NASA is becoming less about being the space organization to do everything or even finance everything...and more about being one that partners to encourage development of the emerging tech industry.
      Ah.

The new NASA: a grant-providing division of the NSF
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Ah.

The new NASA: a grant-providing division of the NSF
        If it allows us to own a huge new tax generating industry...that can't be all bad.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          I despise the idea of commercialized space. Maybe that’s unfounded but I generally don’t like it.
          I've read enough on the subject to believe trying to colonize Mars might be the single worst idea in the history of mankind.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            I've read enough on the subject to believe trying to colonize Mars might be the single worst idea in the history of mankind.
            It would be better to spend all those resources on making this planet better. Fixing the things we've ruined. Etc. Way better.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              If it allows us to own a huge new tax generating industry...that can't be all bad.
              Ok - snark aside, what's the value proposition of this new industry?

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. There doesn’t seem to be any market. It’s not tourism. Even orbital tourism for us plebs is decades or more away. There are no resources worth mining on mars. You can’t claim land. You can’t do ****.

The only thing where there’s a possible market is asteroid mining. But we’re 100-500 years away from resources like nickel, iron, and other non-precious metals becoming scarce. Much less be profitable to mine off earth.

At this point, it’s just a big dick-measuring contest between billionaires
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  I was wondering the same thing. There doesn’t seem to be any market. It’s not tourism. Even orbital tourism for us plebs is decades or more away. There are no resources worth mining on mars. You can’t claim land. You can’t do ****.

The only thing where there’s a possible market is asteroid mining. But we’re 100-500 years away from resources like nickel, iron, and other non-precious metals becoming scarce. Much less be profitable to mine off earth.

At this point, it’s just a big dick-measuring contest between billionaires
                  Space has always been a dick-measuring contest... This isn't new...
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

They need to build and operate a deep water habitat before they ever go to Mars.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                      Space has always been a dick-measuring contest... This isn't new...
                      This

Comment

Ok - snark aside, what's the value proposition of this new industry?
                        I'm not going to get into defending the concept of space...cuz I don't care and I only get into it if I know the topic thoroughly. But I'll give my opinion on several aspects of this.

First, if we're going into space I would personally rather see this private than public. It would cost a horrific amount of taxpayer dollars that could be used more productively on earth. Of course, NASA would need to be there to regulate, etc.

Second, the value prop is not for me to decide. If industries see one, they'll invest - which is probably as it should be. The several potential value props are raw materials, improved energy, tourism and a technology halo (the last of which is not likely a positive for society).

Third, if space travel happens and we're the leaders...there will be significant wealth and technological innovation benefits.

Fourth, if we do pass which I doubt...then others will go into space. The Chinese will be there in 20 years regardless of what we do. We may live to regret that.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

SpaceX makes it 3 launches/3 landings on its latest booster.

Not bad.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            There are no resources worth mining on mars. You can’t claim land. You can’t do ****.

Can't do sh**? Says who? The International Space Treaty of 1967 is a gentleman's agreement waiting to be broken once valuable resources are found. A technical loophole exists in that those responsible for items in space have rights to the territory surrounding their spacecraft (ie: the land around the Apollo landings is US territory.

The issue though isn't with mining asteroids, Mars, or the Moon, for precious metals or other resources to bring back to Earth. The idea is to use these short stops of resources as a Celestial Sunoco station for points beyond.

If you're routinely travelling to Mars, why lug a giant tank filled with your supplies from Earth. Have enough to get you to the Moon, fill up with the resources (potentially found on the Moon if there are any), and be on your way again. Lower weight launches requires less fuel to move that weight into space.

Asteroid mining could take place with the resources mined being housed on the Moon. 1/6th gravity makes landing/take need way less fuel than bringing it all the way to Earth.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              I'm not going to get into defending the concept of space...cuz I don't care and I only get into it if I know the topic thoroughly. But I'll give my opinion on several aspects of this.

First, if we're going into space I would personally rather see this private than public. It would cost a horrific amount of taxpayer dollars that could be used more productively on earth. Of course, NASA would need to be there to regulate, etc.

Second, the value prop is not for me to decide. If industries see one, they'll invest - which is probably as it should be. The several potential value props are raw materials, improved energy, tourism and a technology halo (the last of which is not likely a positive for society).

Third, if space travel happens and we're the leaders...there will be significant wealth and technological innovation benefits.

Fourth, if we do pass which I doubt...then others will go into space. The Chinese will be there in 20 years regardless of what we do. We may live to regret that.
                              So in summary:

1) Launch a handful of horrifically expensive, subsidized, experimental rockets

2) ???

3) Significant wealth

It was more believable when I heard it from the underpants gnomes.

Pitching commercial space exploration to investors should be as illegal as pitching Ponzi schemes or perpetual motion.

(snark back on, BTW )

Comment

There was gold in the New World, too. There were even companies formed to get that gold. Some failed and some had a marvelous ROI.

But, then again, so did piracy.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X