Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

landing in prague on the 4th.... been a long time
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      Deep envy.

Last night Dr. Mrs. and I met her half Bosnian / half Serb friend (and her Creole husband --- now there's a fusion restaurant waiting to happen) and we went to a Balkan restaurant in Arlington, VA (Ambar -- 5 stars, locals should try it!!!) We had way too much delicious Balkan food (think of Greek mixed with Iranian mixed with German) and for last course we had rakia, their dessert liquer (essentially, Balkan schnapps).

We traded around 3 different types: plum, quince, and pear. The best of these was the pear -- which really surprised me because I don't not like the fruit itself. If you've ever had the very best Austrian schnapps you know the deal -- it has an extreme bite from the high fermentation (rakia begins at 120 proof and goes north) and then the flavors on top really seep into you from what's practically a trauma response from your system. The quince (an Iranian apple, and btw what Eve was actually offered -- fun fact) does not have enough sweetness; as a sour fruit it just magnifies the bite of the alcohol and is too strong. The plum is sweet enough but a little too cloying. The pear is the perfect balance.

This ranking was agreed by all four of us at the table which is interesting because Dr. Mrs. and I have 180 degree opposite tastes in wine and beer (she loves tannin reds and hops, I love dry whites and malt).

Enjoy the Czech beer for me. I have still never been east of Vienna. This gives me a sad.
      Last edited by Kepler; 05-26-2019, 04:19 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        Wife and I are planning a north Eastern Europe trip. Gonna be Prague, Krakow (more historic than Warsaw I'm told), Budapest, and somewhere in Slovenia.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
          Krakow (more historic than Warsaw I'm told
          My understanding is Krakow missed the WW2 bombings while Warsaw was flattened.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
            Wife and I are planning a north Eastern Europe trip. Gonna be Prague, Krakow (more historic than Warsaw I'm told), Budapest, and somewhere in Slovenia.
            We are landing in Prague on the 4th. 4 nights. Train to Vienna. 3 nights. Train to Budapest. 3 nights. Then return to the Middle heaven.

These next 2 weeks can’t go fast enough
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I drank the entire bottle of Prosecco last night, and I also drank half a bottle of Apothic Rosé, finishing that off,

I like the fact I have Party/Fill Your Wine Glass to the Rim Amber, I really do. I want to keep her around. However, apparently I can only fill my glass to the rim twice, then I start feeling off. I forgot I'm no longer 25....
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                I drank the entire bottle of Prosecco last night, and I also drank half a bottle of Apothic Rosé, finishing that off,

I like the fact I have Party/Fill Your Wine Glass to the Rim Amber, I really do. I want to keep her around. However, apparently I can only fill my glass to the rim twice, then I start feeling off. I forgot I'm no longer 25....
                It gets worse.
                If I crack a good 25oz bomber of 10%+ ABV beer, that's gonna last me 3 hours or so, 4-5oz at a time. Even when I go to my local brewery, I get made fun of, because I'll take a 20oz 6% beer and make it last 1hr+. Just sipping away and enjoying it.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The differences I've noticed:

1. Poor quality is no longer tolerable. When I passed 30 I couldn't even look at the best seller/bottom shelf without getting queasy. That's for the kids and the Poors. When I passed 40 middle shelf also dropped off. But there is an important attenuation discussed below.

2. Extremely good quality, even with high alcoholic content, is still joyful. The feeling I'd get from sh-tty tequila when I was 22 is still the feeling I get from the very best top shelf sake (or, for that matter, tequilas).

3. Cost, like almost everything else, is a bell curve. The cheapest alcohols are terrible. The most expensive are pedestrian and just bait for morons with money (translation: nearly everybody with money). The very best are in the 80th or so percentile on price, where the cost is justified. More is soaking rich dopes. Less is not sustainable. Note this also holds true for real estate, food, and tail.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 06-10-2019, 10:29 PM.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

1. Poor quality is no longer tolerable. When I passed 30 I couldn't even look at the best seller/bottom shelf without getting queasy. That's for the kids and the Poors. When I passed 40 middle shelf also dropped off. But there is an important attenuation discussed below.

2. Extremely good quality, even with high alcoholic content, is still joyful. The feeling I'd get from sh-tty tequila when I was 22 is still the feeling I get from the very best top shelf sake (or, for that matter, tequilas).

3. Cost, like almost everything else, is a bell curve. The cheapest alcohols are terrible. The most expensive are pedestrian and just bait for morons with money (translation: nearly everybody with money). The very best are in the 80th or so percentile on price, where the cost is justified. More is soaking rich dopes. Less is not sustainable. Note this also holds true for real estate, food, and tail.
                    I think Evan Williams bourbon is a great value bourbon (and the only one, outside of a Maker's Mark Old Fashioned) that I'll mix. It's a flexible thing. Some expensive stuff is crap (I really don't like Bulleitt stuff) and other stuff like Four Roses is pretty darn good. Pappy is notoriously overpriced in retail, and they admit it, but it's rare. It's dcik swinging to order it (yes, I have). Some is over hyped (Yamazaki whiskey).

It's gotten to the point where you buy what you want. The people who truly appreciate a connoisseur won't judge. They'll discuss.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

You’re probably right. I still think the best bourbon on the shelves is Woodford Reserve. And it’s barely middle of the pack in price for common brands. It’s about the 15th percentile in cost. The stuff at the 99th percentile like pappy doesn’t warrant the price.

The best wines are probably in the $40-$75 range. Great wines are in the $30-$50 range. Very good, $20-40. Most of my table wines are in the $10-$15 range. I really struggle with a lot of the stuff under $10.

Some wines really punch way above their price though. Those are the diamonds. Trader Joe’s grand reserve batch 92 or 94 was ****ing GREAT for its price.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        You’re probably right. I still think the best bourbon on the shelves is Woodford Reserve. And it’s barely middle of the pack in price for common brands. It’s about the 15th percentile in cost. The stuff at the 99th percentile like pappy doesn’t warrant the price.

The best wines are probably in the $40-$75 range. Great wines are in the $30-$50 range. Very good, $20-40. Most of my table wines are in the $10-$15 range. I really struggle with a lot of the stuff under $10.

Some wines really punch way above their price though. Those are the diamonds. Trader Joe’s grand reserve batch 92 or 94 was ****ing GREAT for its price.
                        Agreed on Woodford. High West, the Liquor Boy in St Louis Park has it for $21, which is an absolute steal. I wonder how much bulk they bought to get that price. For beer, some of the "high end" shelfies are going for $15-16/4pk. Modist led the way. Dunno how I feel about that. There's much better beer out there for less, although Modist/Brewing Projekt/Drekker are really quality.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                          I think Evan Williams bourbon is a great value bourbon (and the only one, outside of a Maker's Mark Old Fashioned) that I'll mix. It's a flexible thing. Some expensive stuff is crap (I really don't like Bulleitt stuff) and other stuff like Four Roses is pretty darn good. Pappy is notoriously overpriced in retail, and they admit it, but it's rare. It's dcik swinging to order it (yes, I have). Some is over hyped (Yamazaki whiskey).
                          It's whiskey. It all tastes like gasoline.
                          Cornell University

Comment

[Insert Top Secret quote here]
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

For beer it wasn't the cost of the beer itself, but it became the additional costs associated with trying to get your hands on something that wasn't distributed to every single store. Around Chicago many of the specialty shops have beer clubs/memberships (~$70-125/year) that get you access to limited releases and vintage stock. Stores that don't have that going play the game where only 1/3 of their order goes out for sale to the general population. The other 2/3 get set aside for their "regulars". Which I get, but at the same time, those are people that are in the shop 2-3 times per week and are spending $100+ regularly on trips there. Been told a couple of times that even though I've been a regular, I don't spend nearly enough to get special treatment.

I don't mind spending on a good or unique bottle of beer for occasions. It's just a tremendous amount of time/money/effort to acquire them...
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                                [Insert Top Secret quote here]
                                I know a little German.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X