Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    Some beers need aging. The Scotch BA Silhouette is WAY too hot. It's ALL the peat. Can't taste anything else. Needs to cool down. Dark Lord is the same way: needs 1.5-2 years before it peaks (I've had a 14 year vertical with friends, all had the same opinion).

KBS' production was upped hardcore last year, thankfully. It's still a little pricey, around $6/bottle, but one of my favorites. It was solid fresh this year, not overly boozy like in years past.

Cracked the Mikkeller Traeblod. HOLY MAPLE. Not enough coffee for balance. It was very good for a maple stout, just was not as advertised.
    I have never had a beer I thought was too hot. I drink Booker's bourbon straight, ain't no weak beer going to scare me off.

I've had verticals of beers as well. There has only been one that was better a year old. That was the Huna down in Tampa.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      I have never had a beer I thought was too hot. I drink Booker's bourbon straight, ain't no weak beer going to scare me off.

I've had verticals of beers as well. There has only been one that was better a year old. That was the Huna down in Tampa.
      I also prefer my bourbon/whiskey/scotch straight.

There are some barleywines that also need some aging (Lift Bridge Commander). Had a 5 year vert of that last year with friends, and 3 years old was FIRE. So dam good. The newer ones didn't have the balance that the older ones did. Of course, a beer can get too old, and not have "it" anymore. 2 years ago had a 2007 Darkness. Yep, soy sauce, as expected.

Overall, you're taking a chance with aging, hence many times people (myself included) buy 2 of everything special. One to have now, and one to age. It's a guessing game, and usually only experience adds to the accuracy of how much you should age that beer, if at all.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

In my experience, never.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

In my experience, never.
          Oddly enough, last year's Darkness was off. It was a common opinion. It was good, but not DARKNESS. A year aging helped it quite a bit, also a very common opinion. Dunno what they did, or what happened with it...this year's Darkness is spot on fresh. I'm talking regular, not BA, in this example.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

KBS' production was upped hardcore last year, thankfully. It's still a little pricey, around $6/bottle, but one of my favorites. It was solid fresh this year, not overly boozy like in years past.
            Good to know - I didn't buy any this year, but my place has some set aside for me. I was hesitant because at least the last 2 have been VERY boozy.

Oddly enough, last year's Darkness was off. It was a common opinion. It was good, but not DARKNESS. A year aging helped it quite a bit, also a very common opinion. Dunno what they did, or what happened with it...this year's Darkness is spot on fresh. I'm talking regular, not BA, in this example.
            Really? Having never had it other than when we were in town, it was delicious. We had it on tap at Travail and it was MARVELOUS.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
              Good to know - I didn't buy any this year, but my place has some set aside for me. I was hesitant because at least the last 2 have been VERY boozy.

Really? Having never had it other than when we were in town, it was delicious. We had it on tap at Travail and it was MARVELOUS.
              I should have clarified. 2017 Darkness. 2018 Darkness was on point. Still waiting on 2018 BA Darkness.

Just found out that Mikerphone (CHI area) is on tap at a local place that is known for securing special beers. And it's a hotel bar/restaurant (Grizzly's, Plymouth, MN for the locals). I have heard many good things about that brewery. I might swing by this weekend to give it a whirl.

Comment

There are many beers I've had that are better with some age. Pretty much every single respectable Lambic is better with age, and for them, the longer the better. For stouts, a local example is Darkness. I've had many vintages of Darkness, with various ages on them, and I almost universally prefer Darkness with 3 years on it.

There are others that do not benefit with age. It all depends on the specific beer, and a person's specific preference.

Edit: should have mentioned, drinking a 3 Floyds Oak Aged Baltic Porter right now with 4 years on it, and it is quite lovely. (Working on drinking down the cellar)
                Last edited by bigblue_dl; 03-29-2019, 11:33 PM.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  There are many beers I've had that are better with some age. Pretty much every single respectable Lambic is better with age, and for them, the longer the better. For stouts, a local example is Darkness. I've had many vintages of Darkness, with various ages on them, and I almost universally prefer Darkness with 3 years on it.

There are others that do not benefit with age. It all depends on the specific beer, and a person's specific preference.
                  Forgot about the Lambics. Didn't you have one that said best before (insert year 25 years into the future)?

Comment

Forgot about the Lambics. Didn't you have one that said best before (insert year 25 years into the future)?
                    Yeah, that is normal for Lambics. They age like wine.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Yeah, that is normal for Lambics. They age like wine.
                      Makes sense, given the style.

Comment

This is one of, if not the best beer bar I've ever been too. They had a huge book to cover all of the vintages of aged Lambic they have in the cellar. I might fly to Stockholm just to visit this place again. (And its only 2 blocks from Omnipollo)

http://www.akkurat.se

RIP - Kirby

Comment

This is one of, if not the best beer bar I've ever been too. They had a huge book to cover all of the vintages of aged Lambic they have in the cellar. I might fly to Stockholm just to visit this place again. (And its only 2 blocks from Omnipollo)

http://www.akkurat.se
                          I am jealous of your travels.

I did try a Lithuanian Pear Cider tonight. I don't like pear at ALL, but this was not bad.
                          Sun Cider Pear Taste by Kalnapilio-Tauro Grupe UAB

I have no idea where the person got it, however.

Comment

I am jealous of your travels.

I did try a Lithuanian Pear Cider tonight. I don't like pear at ALL, but this was not bad.
                            Sun Cider Pear Taste by Kalnapilio-Tauro Grupe UAB

I have no idea where the person got it, however.
                            Luckily the places I have have gone are usually places I can find good craft beer. I even found a local brewery and an awesome craft beer bar in San Luis Potosi, Mexico.

Buenos Aires is a great beer city (I still have some goodies from there we need to drink, they're waiting for a share). Visited Bogota Beer Company is Bogota. Russia kicked serious *** when it comes to craft beer. Good places everywhere in Russia, it seemed. Sweden is great, both Stockholm and Gothenburg. Norway, Oslo and Bergen, had really good beer options.

I think the only 2 places where I would really complain about bad beer are India and Ecuador.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Luckily the places I have have gone are usually places I can find good craft beer. I even found a local brewery and an awesome craft beer bar in San Luis Potosi, Mexico.

Buenos Aires is a great beer city (I still have some goodies from there we need to drink, they're waiting for a share). Visited Bogota Beer Company is Bogota. Russia kicked serious *** when it comes to craft beer. Good places everywhere in Russia, it seemed. Sweden is great, both Stockholm and Gothenburg. Norway, Oslo and Bergen, had really good beer options.

I think the only 2 places where I would really complain about bad beer are India and Ecuador.
                              Big MW, you know who I'm talking about, was over there last week or so...he was impressed by the selections, and even impressed a German guy. Apparently, Big MW's co-workers didn't know what to order, so Big MW ordered for them. After hearing the order, the German guy said, "Today, I should do the sport [workout at the gym] but I would rather go with your group. You know what you are doing." lol

Comment

I really enjoy the Blushing Monk, and it was worth the money I spent on it.

Also, this is sacrilege here in Michigan, but I have no desire for Oberon this year.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X