Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Icebreaker: Union/Michigan Tech & Minnesota/tUMD

Anyone else excited for this?!

Union and Michigan Tech square off at 4pm CT while Minnesota takes on the home team tUMD in the nightcap at 7:30pm CT.

Thoughts? Predictions? Anything?

Can't wait to get to Duluth on Friday!!! Anyone know if we will be able to leave/re-enter between games?
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Re: 2017 Icebreaker: Union/Michigan Tech & Minnesota/tUMD

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post

Union and Michigan Tech square off at 4pm CT while Minnesota takes on the home team tUMD in the nightcap at 7:30pm CT.

Can't wait to get to Duluth on Friday!!! Anyone know if we will be able to leave/re-enter between games?
    When I bought my tickets through UMD's website it states you get 2 game tickets for the weekend and you cannot return if you leave the arena.
    MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
    2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Two friends and I are making a road trip from the UP for this weekends games. Does any local know of a decent ( more on the cheap side) hotel in the Duluth or surrounding area (25 mile radius) from Amsoil?

Comment

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
        Two friends and I are making a road trip from the UP for this weekends games. Does any local know of a decent ( more on the cheap side) hotel in the Duluth or surrounding area (25 mile radius) from Amsoil?
        Which way are you coming to Duluth from? Based on your name and location, coming through Superior?
        Dirty: Why {shouldn't Grand Valley State} not just go the Miami way to fund DI? Rob banks and sell drugs.
        bigmrg74: GVSU has some speed, but not that kind of speed.

Comment

Is the NCHC going to get an actual TV contract one of these years so that we don't have to pay for an over-priced, crappy stream?
          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

I predict that if CM scores a hat trick, the Gophers will win. I know....it's a bold prediction.
            National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by USAFA Bulldog View Post
              Which way are you coming to Duluth from? Based on your name and location, coming through Superior?
              Yes,I will travel from Houghton county in Michigan and connect on Highway US2,then US53 through Superior.
              My first time out that way. Looking forward to see that area.
              Last edited by Wi.Huskies Fan; 10-03-2017, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                Is the NCHC going to get an actual TV contract one of these years so that we don't have to pay for an over-priced, crappy stream?
                It's not overpriced nor crappy.
                Also when the B1G barely shows games during football season...you can't really talk.
                "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                  Also when the B1G barely shows games during football season...you can't really talk.
                  It's definitely overpriced.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    It's definitely overpriced.
                    If you say so.
                    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                    Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Criticism isn't mutually exclusive. BTN isn't beyond criticism when it comes to hockey, I recognize that. But they do show a majority of their conference games on a medium that a large number of sports fans in this country have. And I do understand that other sports largely subsidize the Big Ten's ability to do that.

I am genuinely not trying to be a jerk about this, nor am I trying to rip on the NCHC. Jim was actually pretty fantastic about addressing my questions, clarifying some bad info I got elsewhere, and listening to my criticism/feedback on Twitter concerning this. Props to him and the conference for that.

And to a large extent he said he agrees that UMN vs UMD and UMN vs UND should be on TV, but its beyond the conference's control. FSN wouldn't pick up the Ice Breaker and UND controls rights to the games in Grand Forks. Hopefully a deal is worked out where those games do get picked up and shown nationally somehow.

And FYI - I worded my criticism of the stream poorly. My criticism isn't in regards to quality of the stream or broadcast team, but accessibility. It's still a paid stream and won't reach nearly as many viewers as TV will.

I just think these games, and the NCHC as a whole, deserve better. And that is a compliment to the conference, not a knock on it. I'd like to watch more College hockey, enjoy watching SCSU and UMD as well as the Gophers, but don't want to dish out for another streaming package. Wish they would work out a way to get more games on TV.
                      Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 10-03-2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                        Criticism isn't mutually exclusive. BTN isn't beyond criticism when it comes to hockey, I recognize that. But they do show a majority of their conference games on a medium that a large number of sports fans in this country have. And I do understand that other sports largely subsidize the Big Ten's ability to do that.

I am genuinely not trying to be a jerk about this, nor am I trying to rip on the NCHC. Jim was actually pretty fantastic about addressing my questions, clarifying some bad info I got elsewhere, and listening to my criticism/feedback on Twitter concerning this. Props to him and the conference for that.

And to a large extent he said he agrees that UMN vs UMD and UMN vs UND should be on TV, but its beyond the conference's control. FSN wouldn't pick up the Ice Breaker and UND controls rights to the games in Grand Forks. Hopefully a deal is worked out where those games do get picked up and shown nationally somehow.

And FYI - I worded my criticism of the stream poorly. My criticism isn't in regards to quality of the stream or broadcast team, but accessibility. It's still a paid stream and won't reach nearly as many viewers as TV will.

I just think these games, and the NCHC as a whole, deserve better. And that is a compliment to the conference, not a knock on it. I'd like to watch more College hockey, enjoy watching SCSU and UMD as well as the Gophers, but don't want to dish out for another streaming package. Wish they would work out a way to get more games on TV.
                        Honestly...considering they don't make money...i
                        We're lucky any are on at all.
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post

Check for a smoking entrance, like the Xcel has. Get stamped, etc. Then, just go out for a smoke (winkwink)
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Honestly...considering they don't make money...i
                            We're lucky any are on at all.
                            I know you are right to a certain extent, but I do think there is enough viewership there to get something done. Especially for big games. UMN vs Notre Dame outdrew a bunch of NHL games a few seasons back. I have to imagine some of the marquee games would draw enough to make somethiny happen. Or maybe I am completely off base.

Anyways, it was nice to see the NCHC so receptive to feedback. Gotta give them props for that.

Comment

The NCHC has a contract with CBSSports that likely hamstrings them when it comes to other national coverage. Granted, all the games are in the second half, and I think they only aire like 16 games total, but it’s still a contract.

r

Comment

Working...
                              X