Colgate 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2017-2018

Colgate puts a pounding on Quinnipiac 5-2 and stops the bleeding after the 8-5 loss to Mercyhurst. Colgate is a dangerous team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
      Colgate puts a pounding on Quinnipiac 5-2 and stops the bleeding after the 8-5 loss to Mercyhurst. Colgate is a dangerous team.
      And they just showed Clarkson how dangerous they are! What a 4-3 OT thriller.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
        And they just showed Clarkson how dangerous they are! What a 4-3 OT thriller.
        Watched this game off and on but saw most of the scoring. Clarkson essentially beat themselves. First goal, goalie is screened and puck goes off the d’s leg and into the corner. Colgate’s second goal was scored on a missed pass from Sauve that was intercepted by a Colgate forward. She had an open net and in it goes. Third goal, Clarkson player skates it into her own net. Strange stuff. Did not see OT goal. Colgate did seem to play with more intensity but they did capitilize on Clarkson miscues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
          Watched this game off and on but saw most of the scoring. Clarkson essentially beat themselves. First goal, goalie is screened and puck goes off the d’s leg and into the corner. Colgate’s second goal was scored on a missed pass from Sauve that was intercepted by a Colgate forward. She had an open net and in it goes. Third goal, Clarkson player skates it into her own net. Strange stuff. Did not see OT goal. Colgate did seem to play with more intensity but they did capitilize on Clarkson miscues.
          Seems to be the exact same thing said when Colgate beat Wisconsin last year. They just find a way to win: whether it is the coaching or system or combo thereof or something also that cannot be easily quantified, they have had some big wins. I'm not saying they are the best but they are solid.
          Last edited by Reddington; 02-10-2019, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
            Did not see OT goal.
            Sauvé denied the first attempt to pass the puck across the goal mouth, but she couldn't stop the second and Schneider got her stick free to jam the puck in on the back door. A lot of PP chances in the 3rd period and OT and the Raiders capitalized on a couple of them.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• It’s interesting how evenly Clarkson and Colgate, 2 power teams, match up.
              Now if we could only figure out Cornell and Princeton’s speed. Hopefully in the ECAC playoffs...

Comment

Clarkson will rise to the occasion in post season, that's their MO

Comment

I think it’s Princeton’s year. Clarkson are not deep enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                    I think it’s Princeton’s year. Clarkson are not deep enough.
                    You are correct about Clarkson. They are basically playing 2 lines and spotting a 3rd line now and then and they have had only 5 available on defense for most of the year.
                    Tomorrow's game in Potsdam is gonna be really interesting. Princeton outplayed Clarkson (especially in the first period) in the game at Hobey Baker but Clarkson won due to Sauve outplaying McQuigge.
                    I'm gonna be at Hobey Baker watching the Clarkson men and I plan on having the women's game on my cell phone.
                    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                      You are correct about Clarkson. They are basically playing 2 lines and spotting a 3rd line now and then and they have had only 5 available on defense for most of the year.
                      Clarkson is an interesting potential opponent come NCAAs. For a team like Minnesota, you obviously don't want to have to play a team the caliber of Clarkson in a quarterfinal. However, it might be easier to defeat the Golden Knights in a quarterfinal at home with a deeper roster, than it would be at the FF on a neutral rink that is more to their liking and with TV timeouts. Clarkson does have the memory of last year's FF run in the Gophers' rink to draw upon, which is something that Princeton, Cornell, and BC lack.

Comment

Hey this is the Colgate thread, don't dis us in your discussion of the post season by not even including us in the conversation while including MN and BC of all teams. You should be worrying about WI and Northeastern/BU before you look to the ECAC which has rightfully owned the Frozen 4 for the last several years. Plenty of room on your threads for your idle chatter...Don't count Gate out as we proved last year!!

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer View Post
                          Hey this is the Colgate thread, don't dis us in your discussion of the post season by not even including us in the conversation ...
                          Sorry, that was rude of me; my apologies.

My thoughts on Colgate...
                          When I watched the Raiders play Northeastern early in the season, I assumed that Colgate was the team that would deserve most of my attention. IMO, the Raiders made that first game harder than it had to be. It surprised me at the time when they lost the second. As the season evolved, I expected them to hang around in or near the top five, but they sort of drifted away. From a distance, it looked like they missed their seniors even more than we'd expected, and the goaltending wasn't consistently at last year's level. I think Wildfang in particular was a huge loss, and I'm not convinced they've filled that hole yet.

Could Colgate win the ECAC Tournament? I think so, but other than the weekend that they beat the North Country teams at home, they've had trouble putting together a strong weekend against good teams. Other than the loss at Princeton, they've been right there against the teams that they're likely to face. The second loss to Cornell shows something that has always made me wonder about Colgate. The players put in the effort to come back and then immediately make a mistake that costs them the game. If they could focus for the full 60 minutes, then yes, I think they're at least the equal of anyone in the ECAC and could be back in the NCAAs.

What do you think?

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            Sorry, that was rude of me; my apologies.

My thoughts on Colgate...
                            When I watched the Raiders play Northeastern early in the season, I assumed that Colgate was the team that would deserve most of my attention. IMO, the Raiders made that first game harder than it had to be. It surprised me at the time when they lost the second. As the season evolved, I expected them to hang around in or near the top five, but they sort of drifted away. From a distance, it looked like they missed their seniors even more than we'd expected, and the goaltending wasn't consistently at last year's level. I think Wildfang in particular was a huge loss, and I'm not convinced they've filled that hole yet.

Could Colgate win the ECAC Tournament? I think so, but other than the weekend that they beat the North Country teams at home, they've had trouble putting together a strong weekend against good teams. Other than the loss at Princeton, they've been right there against the teams that they're likely to face. The second loss to Cornell shows something that has always made me wonder about Colgate. The players put in the effort to come back and then immediately make a mistake that costs them the game. If they could focus for the full 60 minutes, then yes, I think they're at least the equal of anyone in the ECAC and could be back in the NCAAs.

What do you think?
                            They play a very aggressive style which in some games it works to their advantage and in others they pay the price as you noted. But, the evidence it is working more times than not is another 20 game win season.

Comment

Agree with both ARM and Reddington that we are erratic and that we really miss the stability and hockey intelligence of Wildfang a lot but we (or Q) are on the longest win streak in the ECAC so we are peaking at the right time. Our second line is really coming on to supplement our first which arguably is the best in the East and maybe the country. We do play a very aggressive game (witness today's amazing 20 yard dump pass Eldridge from to Zafuto) but get beaten more than most teams with breakaways and short handed chances. All this adds up to a team that can score on you any time and often when you least expect it, ex. WI in last years semi's. My one big hope is that Princeton and Cornell get beaten in the first round next week as both have excellent team speed which has been our nemesis so far this year. Finally, I have confidence that Coach Fargo will put together a great game plan for Harvard and, hopefully, whomever we play afterwards. If we make another good run this year watch out given what appears to be a very talented class coming in next fall...

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer View Post
                                Agree with both ARM and Reddington that we are erratic and that we really miss the stability and hockey intelligence of Wildfang a lot but we (or Q) are on the longest win streak in the ECAC so we are peaking at the right time. Our second line is really coming on to supplement our first which arguably is the second best in the East and maybe the country. We do play a very aggressive game (witness today's amazing 20 yard dump pass Eldridge from to Zafuto) but get beaten more than most teams with breakaways and short handed chances. All this adds up to a team that can score on you any time and often when you least expect it, ex. WI in last years semi's. My one big hope is that Princeton and Cornell get beaten in the first round next week as both have excellent team speed which has been our nemesis so far this year. Finally, I have confidence that Coach Fargo will put together a great game plan for Harvard and, hopefully, whomever we play afterwards. If we make another good run this year watch out given what appears to be a very talented class coming in next fall...
                                Fixed your post
                                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Working...
                                X