Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Originally posted by jen View Post
    Interesting. Cannaboids are big business right now.
    Every farmer's market in the parts of America where it's at least "medicinally" legal has half a dozen stalls selling the CBD oil/cream/soap/whatever now. The cat is completely out of the bag.

Comment

Interesting. Cannaboids are big business right now. I've seen lots of people say they help with persistent concussion symptoms. I tried it for a few days (the THC-free kind), and didn't feel anything, then decided to stop until I talked to my doctor (although, reading this, I doubt I'll try again). My mom tried it for arthritis (with her doctor's OK), but didn't feel she had the right dose and stopped.
      The guy started with a history of cannabis in medicine. In the 1830s thru the late 1890s they had all sorts of medical papers on it. Dose was the same does they recommend today and they were recommending the same things be treated that are coming up now. Side effects are dose dependent and the marketing is to give ridiculous doses= double digits X what you really need. It does really weird sh1t to your brain chemicals. Can't remember all he he said- it was like drinking out of a fire hose- but one take home is that humans have a natural form of cannaboids that is endogenous. When they look at people who are suicidal/depressed they have sig higher levels than avg. They also have seen worse outcomes for TBI the higher the levels are. Take home- DO NOT GIVE to people with TBI as the potential for depression and suicidal ideation is sig increased.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Every farmer's market in the parts of America where it's at least "medicinally" legal has half a dozen stalls selling the CBD oil/cream/soap/whatever now. The cat is completely out of the bag.
        The guy was talking about how there were huge numbers of adulterated CBD product that had all sorts of nasty stuff in it= heavy metals and some other stuff that could cause some not OK Side effects. He was extremely well informed, pages of resources and references in the syllabus*, and scared the bejeebus out of me considering anything recreational or supplemental

*Syllabus is an inch thick, double sided multiple slides to each page- no place for notes

Comment

Tomorrow, I have another follow up with the orthopedic surgeon, and I'm hoping it's healing. I know the surgery was necessary, but it's 8 months and I'm nowhere near where I need to be. The recovery has wiped out my savings; I'm happy to work a part time job at $18/hour, but the case is only 15 hours a week. I'm severely limited in the kind of work I can do, so I couldn't work at a Starbucks even if I wanted to. I was told I could substitute teach and do sit down jobs, but those jobs are hard to find. It's only within the last week I've been able to take a role as front desk person with my current employer on top of the case I currently have.

I'm especially upset that the surgery has kept me from running, jumping, playing, and working... not so much that my body is broken right now.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            They also have seen worse outcomes for TBI the higher the levels are. Take home- DO NOT GIVE to people with TBI as the potential for depression and suicidal ideation is sig increased.
            What does TBI mean?
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Traumatic brain injury?
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Traumatic brain injury?
                Naw, man. <-- warning: this is terrible.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  What does TBI mean?
                  Traumatic brain injury.

(It's Brain Injury Awareness Month, btw)

Comment

Traumatic brain injury.

(It's Brain Injury Awareness Month, btw)
                    I think I have that from reading the news the last 3 years.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      I think I have that from reading the news the last 3 years.
                      Explains why Dumpies are unaffected.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Just got over norovirus. However, it still feels like someone spent a couple days squeezing my guts out and I'm wondering if Pepto can help with the stomach pain.
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

A non-COVID thing for you to discuss..

Let's just say the current unpleasantness in the world has left me unwilling to bring a child into the world, and once it clears I will be looking into a surgery to ensure I will not be doing so.

Anyone had The Unkindest Cut Of All? Preparatory advice aside from the obvious?
                          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

1) Many doctors have been reluctant to perform that procedure in the past if you don’t already have children. I can’t speak to current thoughts on the matter.

2) Have someone available to help you during recovery if needed. My BIL had some complications, and required some help around the house due to the pain.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                              A non-COVID thing for you to discuss..

Let's just say the current unpleasantness in the world has left me unwilling to bring a child into the world, and once it clears I will be looking into a surgery to ensure I will not be doing so.

Anyone had The Unkindest Cut Of All? Preparatory advice aside from the obvious?
                              Was super easy. In and out. Doctor prescribed one dose of Valium to take at home before going in. No issues, very little pain, easy recovery.

My PCP referred me to a doctor he knew that was an Army physician and did thousands of these procedure before going into family medicine when he left the Army. Eventually he left his family practice and went to a urology office to do vasectomies again. I met him once for a consultation and then scheduled the procedure. He never asked if I had kids already.

His approach was cut, clamp, cauterize. Some doctors don’t do all three. If they only cut there is a chance they can reattach and you end up with a failure down the road. As I said he’d done like 10,000 of these during his time in the Army and never had a failure.

It was a -20 day in February when I had mine done so one of the assistants put a heat pack down there to warm things up before the doctor came in.

Didn’t have much pain. Filled the Rx for Percocet on the way home just in case but never took one. Watched Hunt for Red October on Netflix with a bag of frozen peas and my wife went to work. Even went for a walk later that day.

Doctor recommended a jock strap to keep everything in place after the procedure, but I brought in some compression shorts that his two lovely assistants put on me after he stitched me up (just one single stitch). They kept the movement to a minimum and kept the bandage in place.

I have a co-worker that was so nervous he ended up having his done at the hospital so they could put him under general anesthesia, but I really thought it was a non-issue.

My BIL did get an infection because he was doing landscaping after and opened up the incision. He ended up in the hospital on IV antibiotics. Don’t be like him.

Comment

Holy **** if I ever (when I) get snipped I’m not ****ing doing a GD thing. I don’t need my ballsack going letterkenny
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X