Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Yesterday, I was sitting in church and realized I had to walk away from running. I trained and raced year round, including running a marathon in the middle of winter. I just realized I couldn't do it any more. But I've been leaning more toward swimming and riding my bike now, as well as looking for intense workouts with little to no impact. Once I get established in a job, I will be getting a pool membership and swim lessons, just so I can do things like Swim to the Moon 5K near Ann Arbor and the Big Shoulders 5K swim near Chicago. And with my bike, there are events like any distance at the Holland 100 and the MSU Gran Fondo. I'll be okay in the long run, even if I look like a hot mess right now.
    I think this is a good decision for you. Unfortunately we sometimes have to walk away from activities we love. Hopefully you find as much enjoyment in cycling and swimming.

I'm currently having chronic ankle pain due to a multiple sprains when I was younger (the worst was about 20 years ago). Hiking is one of my favorite activities, and I can still do it okay but I need to be very careful because my right ankle is injury prone. Stiff hiking boots help. I haven't run any significant distances in years and I recently bought a nordic track studio cycle (their version of the Peloton), which I am enjoying. I'm starting physical therapy this month, and hoping to at least be able to run my companies 5k with my kid this summer.

Comment

This should be called the I am broken thread.
      Dislocated my midfoot Labor Day of 2017. Still have days when it feels like it shifts out of place. Trying to walk and making it out most days but there are some days my body objects. Trying to think of it as doing better than nothing is better than nothing. Lil les (who ain't little anymore) runs 10-15 miles a day. I am happy to walk 2.5 miles and know I will ache after.

Comment

Another thing that's upsetting me about my foot is it's greatly impacting my job search. I was briefly employed as a Behavior Technician, but that didn't work out, and I was set to take a temp job in a factory to just get some income in. Now my surgeon wants me in a job where I'm sitting down. He didn't say no to factory work, but let's just say a sit down job would be highly encouraged.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

At least I'm getting a bone stimulator to help with my foot, and I'm not paying a dime out of pocket for it. Tomorrow, a representative will meet me and show me how to use it.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I'm still broken.

I had dry needling (neck) today and it was very... challenging. Painful. Sometimes I pass out when they draw blood (but not if I lie down), so I thought it'd be OK, since I would be lying down... ugh. I didn't pass out, but I came close. But I'm sticking (ha ha!) with it, because I think it will be helpful in the long run. Anyone had it done?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
              Oh, boy.

A couple months ago, I got another of those annoying deep zits on my nose that I get from time to time. This one got really infected, though, and wouldn’t go away. Being busy with travel and work and babies (2 under 2), I made it to urgent care for some antibiotics a couple times, but couldn’t get in with a dermatologist until today. He took one look and said, “that’s no infection.” So whatever that thing that grew from nothing to a nickel size in 8 weeks is off at the pathology lab.

Fingers crossed....
              Whew.

8 weeks, 4 biopsies, 2 dermatologists, 2 oncologists, and one cancer center later, they concluded that it was......a “normal” immune system overreaction to an infection. They all seemed quite surprised - they really thought it was going to be a cutaneous lymphoma.

All in all, not a terrible first experience with the health care system, but man am I glad I have great insurance.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Good to hear. As someone who went through a very similar experience a year ago this month, I can tell you our health care system is great, it’s completely broken, and I’m glad I have insurance.

Terrifying experience that defined and galvanized the relationship between me and my soon to be wife.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  Whew.

8 weeks, 4 biopsies, 2 dermatologists, 2 oncologists, and one cancer center later, they concluded that it was......a “normal” immune system overreaction to an infection. They all seemed quite surprised - they really thought it was going to be a cutaneous lymphoma.

All in all, not a terrible first experience with the health care system, but man am I glad I have great insurance.
                  Nice, I've had Melanoma, Squamous Cell and basil cell removed from various spots on my body. Thankfully all gotten early enough.
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Brains are amazing, episode 2478625: Agnosia Types.

This hasn't happened to me, but happens sometimes in post-concussion issues. So your brain can decide an object isn't there, and then it IS there? Wow. It amazes me the kind of specific things that can go haywire.

if your brain can't process the object's existence, is it really there? what happens if you touch it?
                    Last edited by jen; 01-10-2020, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Does anybody have a good resource/method for tracking down medical costs (like delivering a baby)?
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Like which hospital to go to for better pricing? The you just need to look up the cost tables. There’s a universal code that goes with most common things. Most large hospitals have those available.
                        Code:
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          Does anybody have a good resource/method for tracking down medical costs (like delivering a baby)?
                          Many insurance companies have cost estimator tools. Or they should. I helped build a few back in the day and childbirth is a common procedure

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Like which hospital to go to for better pricing? The you just need to look up the cost tables. There’s a universal code that goes with most common things. Most large hospitals have those available.
                            What his cost is may not be near a cost table. If he has coverage.
                            A hospital a mile away from another one could have a 300% price variation.

Comment

Yeah, but that’s the point, right? That hospitals charge different amounts for the same thing?
                              Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Yeah, but that’s the point, right? That hospitals charge different amounts for the same thing?
                                Yes, but it depends on your contracted rate if you have insurance. Hospital cost sheet won’t mean anything if you have a contracted network rate

Comment

Working...
                                X