Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

I've had 2 but they were enormously different in scale. The first one I was a first base coach and was leaning on the line to gauge whether the RF was going to get to the ball. I leaned too far. Both the batter and I were knocked out for a couple minutes. But that was fine.

The second was clipping a tree limb skiing in Vermont. That one was a trip to the hospital, full concussion protocol, and nurses looking at me worried (you don't want your nurse looking worried, it's bad for morale). There's extended periods before and after that which I have no memories of, but I definitely remember feeling like my head was trying to explode outward and I remember wishing I could bore a hole in my skull to let the pressure out.

So I dunno if there is a Richter scale for concussions but if there is I've had a 1 and an 8.
    Last edited by Kepler; 12-10-2019, 04:17 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      How are you not signing your name with drool by now?
      Side note, I once had a discussion with an assistant hockey coach almost a decade ago about concussions. He said lots of youth hockey players never report a concussion because "oh, I'm fine, just a little headache," either hours or days after the incident. The coach said that most kids coming to college hockey already have multiple serious concussions that went unreported.

He said they were (at the time) very proactive with concussions and if any kids had approximately three highly suspected/documented concussions in college alone (knowing there are countless ones untold from the kid's youth, or ones that happen outside of hockey), they would pull the kid aside and explain that there are other ways to stay involved in the sport without becoming a skating punching bag.

*edit* There was one kid who came to NMU that the coach worked out how to honor his Letter of Intent commitment because he got his bell rung so well the year prior in the BCHL that he was told by doctors to never play hockey again.
      Last edited by aparch; 12-11-2019, 09:52 AM.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

It’s honestly amazing how much better they’ve gotten with concussions since I was kid playing hockey and soccer in the late 90’s/early 2000’s. When talking about concussions I always say “I’ve had one that I know of, undoubtedly I’ve had more.”

US Soccer has mandatory concussion recognition training for referees and coaches that I have to go through every year. The high schools here have athletic trainers at every event to help kids go through concussion protocol if needed. It’s crazy to look at the progress made in even ten years.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          It’s honestly amazing how much better they’ve gotten with concussions since I was kid playing hockey and soccer in the late 90’s/early 2000’s. When talking about concussions I always say “I’ve had one that I know of, undoubtedly I’ve had more.”

US Soccer has mandatory concussion recognition training for referees and coaches that I have to go through every year. The high schools here have athletic trainers at every event to help kids go through concussion protocol if needed. It’s crazy to look at the progress made in even ten years.
          Seems like new stuff comes out every day. Professional athletes get a lot of attention for concussions now, and that research and awareness helps everyone (except those who think "regular people" don't get them). Just read something that suggested total cognitive rest is NOT the best treatment after the initial 24-72 hours.

Comment

mr les was on the NCAA committee about concussions. Some of the stuff that they are now 'discovering' has been known for awhile. Lots of neurochemical stuff and what constituted sx that were diagnostic. Research was indicating a lot of things back then that no one wanted to acknowledge. One reason mr les refused to let lil les not play ftbl.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
              mr les was on the NCAA committee about concussions. Some of the stuff that they are now 'discovering' has been known for awhile. Lots of neurochemical stuff and what constituted sx that were diagnostic. Research was indicating a lot of things back then that no one wanted to acknowledge. One reason mr les refused to let lil les not play ftbl.
              another interesting thing I read (a summary from a JAMA article) was the severity of injury is not associated with prolonged recovery. so just because person A was knocked unconscious in a violent car accident, and person B hit their head on a cabinet... it doesn't necessarily mean person A will have a longer recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                another interesting thing I read (a summary from a JAMA article) was the severity of injury is not associated with prolonged recovery. so just because person A was knocked unconscious in a violent car accident, and person B hit their head on a cabinet... it doesn't necessarily mean person A will have a longer recovery.
                This is very true. One guy on mr les' team took a minor check against the boards. Not a nasty check. He came off saying he felt funny. It took him 11 months to recover. Another kid was blown up in the middle of the ice. Went down like a ton of bricks. Only time in almost 40 yrs I saw mr les hit the ice at a run, calling for the doc as he went. Kid was out and then when he recovered consciousness couldn't remember English and was completely disoriented. Went out boarded via ambulance. Came back a few hours later feeling like a million bucks. Never had a symptom after that evening.

Comment

July 2, I had surgery to fuse a joint in my right foot. Going on 6 months later, it's still not healed (completely fused), and I'm told the hardware is coming loose inside. I feel like I've been knocked down. I was walking for the most part; now I'm back to using the knee scooter at places like Target. I'm currently unemployed and I wait for an answer as to what kind of work I can do.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

So- could put this in a few places but this seems like the best place- If you have had anything medical you are billed for check everything out. In the last yr our local hospital and their medical group have over-billed us by close to 1400$. On 6+ hours of trying to sort things out for things they have over charged, double billed, falsely charged, mis-coded.

-mr les had a preventative screening test billed as preventative but they billed close to $400 for anesthesia under a diagnositic code
                    -Preventative labs were miscoded to the tune of $300+ . Hours and multiple calls- still trying to sort this out, since before October. If they send me to collections (quite possible) I am going to find out what the stratosphere looks like.
                    -Preventative yearly visit was billed as a regular visit $200+- and a co-pay- not billable at all.
                    -The latest- saw NP in a Risk clinic. 3rd time I have been. First 2 times- a copay. This time- 2 bills- $150 and $330 billed for an outpt visit and billed a level 4 visit for a Dr that I didn't see. Called the Billing dept- got shifted thru 4 people. They can't explain who the Dr is. They tell me it may be because NP is under the Doc. Billing under another Provider is supposed to be illegal- fraud- unless the Provider sets eyes on you. They can't explain why I have 2 bills for the same service. They can't explain much of anything. The last person I got shifted to was unavailable so I had to leave a message. My message- no $$ for you unless someone can explain why I have this bill.

Call insurance. I needed a referral. This was "unauthorized" so they billed me. I asked when they called to confirm and again when I went if my referral was in place- yes. Turns out one doesn't exist. If I had one none of this should have been billed except for a co-pay. (I have a PPO but they require a referral or they charge me a rate that is thru the roof.) No one told me this when I asked why I was billed after never having had a bill before.

Now, I have to call the PCP to generate a referral and then I need to call the insurance co to make sure it went thru and then check with the billers to make sure they processed it. It should not be this FVCKING complicated.

Lesson- always double check with the billing dept and the insurance co before you pay a cent. Thank God I was in medicine and have knowledge of billing, codes and what is covered. Can't imagine what other people do.

Even worse- we have had issues with this hospital before so I called insurance and the Practice BEFORE getting anything done so I would not run into this. Um. Ya.

Comment

So- could put this in a few places but this seems like the best place- If you have had anything medical you are billed for check everything out. In the last yr our local hospital and their medical group have over-billed us by close to 1400$. On 6+ hours of trying to sort things out for things they have over charged, double billed, falsely charged, mis-coded.

-mr les had a preventative screening test billed as preventative but they billed close to $400 for anesthesia under a diagnositic code
                      -Preventative labs were miscoded to the tune of $300+ . Hours and multiple calls- still trying to sort this out, since before October. If they send me to collections (quite possible) I am going to find out what the stratosphere looks like.
                      -Preventative yearly visit was billed as a regular visit $200+- and a co-pay- not billable at all.
                      -The latest- saw NP in a Risk clinic. 3rd time I have been. First 2 times- a copay. This time- 2 bills- $150 and $330 billed for an outpt visit and billed a level 4 visit for a Dr that I didn't see. Called the Billing dept- got shifted thru 4 people. They can't explain who the Dr is. They tell me it may be because NP is under the Doc. Billing under another Provider is supposed to be illegal- fraud- unless the Provider sets eyes on you. They can't explain why I have 2 bills for the same service. They can't explain much of anything. The last person I got shifted to was unavailable so I had to leave a message. My message- no $$ for you unless someone can explain why I have this bill.

Call insurance. I needed a referral. This was "unauthorized" so they billed me. I asked when they called to confirm and again when I went if my referral was in place- yes. Turns out one doesn't exist. If I had one none of this should have been billed except for a co-pay. (I have a PPO but they require a referral or they charge me a rate that is thru the roof.) No one told me this when I asked why I was billed after never having had a bill before.

Now, I have to call the PCP to generate a referral and then I need to call the insurance co to make sure it went thru and then check with the billers to make sure they processed it. It should not be this FVCKING complicated.

Lesson- always double check with the billing dept and the insurance co before you pay a cent. Thank God I was in medicine and have knowledge of billing, codes and what is covered. Can't imagine what other people do.
                      Thanks for posting this. I find it pretty fascinating that "keep your doctor" really means "call the insurance company first to make sure it's covered".
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        Thanks for posting this. I find it pretty fascinating that "keep your doctor" really means "call the insurance company first to make sure it's covered".
                        Part of the ACA was supposed to make billing more understandable. The GOP gutted that. I have close to 30 yrs in Primary Care and even with all my diligence it still screws up every time. Stuff like Preventative codes are multi-part. If you have a test for Lipid screen you need more than one code to get it covered. If one is missing you get charged big $$. Same for a number of other screening tests. Some of them are covered only with certain age groups or populations.

Coverage can also be at the whim of your HR dept. I had a pt once who had a new onset heart murmur with some other stuff going on. They needed a cardiac echo. The plan they had specifically excluded that test. No reason. Other more complex testing was covered. I always told patients they had to call before getting tests. This person didn't. They ate an $800 bill. Also had patients who were in dire need of testing turned away at the site because they couldn't fork over cash. Nothing like getting a call telling you the patient has left because they didn't have the money for the test you needed to help decide what the next step in the plan was.

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                          July 2, I had surgery to fuse a joint in my right foot. Going on 6 months later, it's still not healed (completely fused), and I'm told the hardware is coming loose inside. I feel like I've been knocked down. I was walking for the most part; now I'm back to using the knee scooter at places like Target. I'm currently unemployed and I wait for an answer as to what kind of work I can do.
                          Sorry to hear your healing isnt going as you had hoped. Last Feb. I had fusions in 2 spots in my right foot, 7 screws and a plate. It still doesnt feel right and has been incredibly frustrating. I also had to spend way more time out of work than I wanted to/could afford, so I know that feeling as well.
                          Not sure I have any advice are consoling words for ya...I guess just letting you know I feel your pain, so to speak.

I keep trying to tell myself at least I have all my arms, legs, hands, feet, and digits and as frustrating and debilitating as this has been there are people who have to deal with worse.

But that seems to only offer fleeting consolation to a guy who has been playing and training soccer basically year-round, 3-6 days/week since the age of 12, and now hasn't been able to play at all for over 2 years.
                          (Took over a year after the injury to find someone who could accurately diagnose what was wrong).

Hang in there. I know you love running, and maybe you have to start looking for other ways to be active, or adjust expectations of what you are physically capable of, or develop a new outlet for your passion. I think that is just something that comes along with getting older, and it isn't the end of the world...

But if you figure out how to do that let me know your trick.
                          Last edited by Stauber1; 12-30-2019, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                            Sorry to hear your healing isnt going as you had hoped. Last Feb. I had fusions in 2 spots in my right foot, 7 screws and a plate. It still doesnt feel right and has been incredibly frustrating. I also had to spend way more time out of work than I wanted to/could afford, so I know that feeling as well.
                            Not sure I have any advice are consoling words for ya...I guess just letting you know I feel your pain, so to speak.

I keep trying to tell myself at least I have all my arms, legs, hands, feet, and digits and as frustrating and debilitating as this has been there are people who have to deal with worse.

But that seems to only offer fleeting consolation to a guy who has been playing and training soccer basically year-round, 3-6 days/week since the age of 12, and now hasn't been able to play at all for over 2 years.
                            (Took over a year after the injury to find someone who could accurately diagnose what was wrong).

Hang in there. I know you love running, and maybe you have to start looking for other ways to be active, or adjust expectations of what you are physically capable of, or develop a new outlet for your passion. I think that is just something that comes along with getting older, and it isn't the end of the world...

But if you figure out how to do that let me know your trick.
                            Yesterday, I was sitting in church and realized I had to walk away from running. I trained and raced year round, including running a marathon in the middle of winter. I just realized I couldn't do it any more. But I've been leaning more toward swimming and riding my bike now, as well as looking for intense workouts with little to no impact. Once I get established in a job, I will be getting a pool membership and swim lessons, just so I can do things like Swim to the Moon 5K near Ann Arbor and the Big Shoulders 5K swim near Chicago. And with my bike, there are events like any distance at the Holland 100 and the MSU Gran Fondo. I'll be okay in the long run, even if I look like a hot mess right now.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Part of the ACA was supposed to make billing more understandable. The GOP gutted that.
                              Shocking.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                                Small tangent to this as your situation is much more involved than mine ever was or will be: I broke the big toe on my left foot back in the autumn of 2015 while out for a run, going downhill and trying to slowdown for all the leaves on a forested path. The end bone of my toe split into a V shape, per the x-rays. While walking to work today, the joint of that toe started bothering me again. I swear this won't ever go away.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X