Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Gotcha. Good point.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I may be way off but when I was working the prenatal care was usually bundled in with the delivery for a flat rate as far as insurance goes. If you decide to separate the delivery from the Prenatal care that might end up being more $. I know it was the case for people who saw us. If you deliver with another provider there is a mess for reimbursement- the docs/hospital fight over who is owed what.

The listed rates are often different than the actual charges. You may do better to call the hospital but they are slippery eels about that and if you are self pay then they will nickel and dime you for every little charge.

I had patients who attempted to find out costs and I don't recall anyone managing to get an acurate number if they got one at all.

Comment

Most times we bundle all prenatal care into price too.
        The tool I built had standard prices for cesarean and vaginal deliveries but of course they may not always be coded the same.

Comment

I admit I'm worried about my next follow up with the surgeon. I hope the bone stimulator works enough for there to be results. I've been laying off my foot, keeping it up, using a knee scooter even at Aldi, etc. I've been riding a stationary bike because it's pretty much all the cardio I can do. Back in October, he estimated 4-6 weeks, and I am convinced this thing will never heal.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Today, I saw the CT scan, and while I'm no expert, I saw black where something solid should be. So the ruling is continue using the bone stimulator, continue low/no impact activity, and I'll see him again in 4 weeks.

To put the cherry on awful news, today, I tried to ride my bike. I can't even get on my bike without help; that's how much fitness I've lost. I had to stop at 0.7 miles in, and when I got home (thanks to my stepfather), I started sobbing. I've never felt this fragile and this frail before. I'm so done. Every other part of my body is on January 27, 2020 at 11:02 PM. My foot might as well be stuck on July 2, 2019, fresh out of surgery.
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

My knees have been less than ideal for me for dozens of years, mostly in that I have less flexibility than I should even for someone my age. I've had some injuries in the past, but nothing that resulted in prolonged discomfort, surgery, need for crutches, etc. However as noted at times it feels like one or both 'takes on water' which may not be a technically sound way to describe what's happening.

However, right now is a first in that both are exhibiting at times soreness, both are slightly swollen with the right one even more so, and neither feels right when bending, mostly on the right.

Nothing has happened from an 'injury' standpoint that would make it obvious why I've been feeling something for about 3-days running which has never happened before, my diet hasn't changed nor has my consumption of alcohol. It's getting to the point where I think I might need an MRI, but would rather avoid going to that extreme if I'm over-estimating the seriousness of the symptoms. The discomfort level is not unbearable, but the changes are completely noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                My knees have been less than ideal for me for dozens of years, mostly in that I have less flexibility than I should even for someone my age. I've had some injuries in the past, but nothing that resulted in prolonged discomfort, surgery, need for crutches, etc. However as noted at times it feels like one or both 'takes on water' which may not be a technically sound way to describe what's happening.

However, right now is a first in that both are exhibiting at times soreness, both are slightly swollen with the right one even more so, and neither feels right when bending, mostly on the right.

Nothing has happened from an 'injury' standpoint that would make it obvious why I've been feeling something for about 3-days running which has never happened before, my diet hasn't changed nor has my consumption of alcohol. It's getting to the point where I think I might need an MRI, but would rather avoid going to that extreme if I'm over-estimating the seriousness of the symptoms. The discomfort level is not unbearable, but the changes are completely noticeable.
                They would probably start with an x-ray and PT to help balance out the muscles that affect the knee joint.

Comment

Ok. I'm going to see how things play out the next few days and decide if it's something I need looked at.

Comment

Went to a CEU thingy on Opioids and marijuana. Wow was it fascinating. And kind of scary. More than kind of. Learned all sorts of pharmacokinetics about cannaboids that I didn't know- could make a huge difference when making a plan. Biggest one- if you have someone who has been using, it speeds metabolism of meds passing thru liver. This includes anesthesia. They started figuring this out when the boomers were getting colonoscopies and waking up in the middle of the procedure after having gotten more than enough meds to keep them knocked out.
                    Also increases blood pressure after smoking it but even more if ingesting it. That effect is really rapid and in people with HTN they can stroke out. YIKES! Lots more but those were really interesting
                    Last edited by leswp1; 02-25-2020, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                      Went to a CEU thingy on Opioids and marijuana. Wow was it fascinating. And kind of scary. More than kind of. Learned all sorts of pharmacokinetics about cannaboids that I didn't know- could make a huge difference when making a plan. Biggest one- if you have someone who has been using, it speeds metabolism of meds passing thru liver. This includes anesthesia. They started figuring this out when the boomers were getting colonoscopies and waking up in the middle of the procedure after having gotten more than enough meds to keep them knocked out.
                      Also increases blood pressure after smoking it but even more if ingesting it. That effect is really rapid and in people with HTN they can stroke out. YIKES! Lots more but those were really interesting
                      This is why you don't mix drugs without your doctor's knowledge and approval. It's fairly obvious you shouldn't mix booze with anything narcotic (not that this stops anyone from trying), but people don't give much thought to stacking other stuff on top of weed.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        This is why you don't mix drugs without your doctor's knowledge and approval. It's fairly obvious you shouldn't mix booze with anything narcotic (not that this stops anyone from trying), but people don't give much thought to stacking other stuff on top of weed.
                        One of the biggest issues is they haven't been able to do a lot of research because the drug is federally illegal although it is legal in a lot of states.

Other stuff- there is mounting evidence that it affects the DNA in sperm and there is a sig higher incidence of ADHD in their babies. If someone wants to conceive they should stop using for 4 months then have protected sex like a rabbit to clear out the system before ever trying to make a baby.

Comment

Obviously Medicare For All will be a huge talking point for the next 8 months. One thing I haven't come across however is an actual timeline for it's implementation. I assume that we are looking at probably 8-10 years to get a fully nationalized medical system in place, even if it uses current infrastructure.

Google unfortunately is providing a lot of material unrelated to this aspect of the debate. Does anyone here have any useful links that point out how the transition from private to public entities will take place?
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                            Obviously Medicare For All will be a huge talking point for the next 8 months. One thing I haven't come across however is an actual timeline for it's implementation. I assume that we are looking at probably 8-10 years to get a fully nationalized medical system in place, even if it uses current infrastructure.

Google unfortunately is providing a lot of material unrelated to this aspect of the debate. Does anyone here have any useful links that point out how the transition from private to public entities will take place?
                            That's a great question. I'm sure there are detailed position papers out there by think tanks about ways to do it.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              That's a great question. I'm sure there are detailed position papers out there by think tanks about ways to do it.
                              whata waste of toilet paper
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                                Interesting. Cannaboids are big business right now. I've seen lots of people say they help with persistent concussion symptoms. I tried it for a few days (the THC-free kind), and didn't feel anything, then decided to stop until I talked to my doctor (although, reading this, I doubt I'll try again). My mom tried it for arthritis (with her doctor's OK), but didn't feel she had the right dose and stopped.
                                Last edited by jen; 02-27-2020, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X