Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Basketball 2017

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Watching The Last Dance (and other stuff about the Bulls), it’s amazing that team was able to win despite the fact that Jerry Krause was an idiot.
    Like all GM's he had some hits and misses.

It's a really interesting question when you have someone who is a generational talent, and especially when you have a generational talent that seems to mesh (at least for purposes of winning championships) with the head coach, and perhaps with one or two additional key players.

If I was the owner of the team, I'd ride that player into retirement, and I would not, under any circumstances, change the key components. I'd change the supplementary players, as necessary, but otherwise I'd let it ride, and when the generational talent retired I'd count up my championship trophies.

Krause and the Chicago Bulls failed to do that. But they're not the first. The Oilers did it with Gretzky. Various teams have done it with LeBron. Maybe the Patriots can be added to that list.

The mistake Krause made is the same one many make. That is, failing to recognize that your success is not due to your hard work and skills as a GM, but in large part due to your great fortune in finding a magic formula between a special player and a particular coach.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

"The Last Dance", at least through 2 episodes, is very well done. The skipping between timelines is just perfect, it feels like an epic movie. Also **** did Scottie get a **** contract.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
        "The Last Dance", at least through 2 episodes, is very well done. The skipping between timelines is just perfect, it feels like an epic movie. Also **** did Scottie get a **** contract.
        My friend and I were discussing how surprising it was he even played that season.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1...michael-jordan

That music starts, you're mentally down 10.
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
            https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1...michael-jordan

That music starts, you're mentally down 10.
            The whole intro sequence is just way too good.

(I had to choose the 1991 Finals intro because holy f- is that a couple of lineups!)
            I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I've always been partial to the overall presentation of the Goin' to Work Pistons intro.

Pistons had used to Final Countdown since at least the Bad Boys days, but Mason's PA work took it to another level. There may also be some slight bias.

No doubt Sirius is the superior song, though. And it looks like the Pistons have moved on from Final Countdown.
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

**** that was a great team.

KDR

gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  I've always been partial to the overall presentation of the Goin' to Work Pistons intro.

Pistons had used to Final Countdown since at least the Bad Boys days, but Mason's PA work took it to another level. There may also be some slight bias.

No doubt Sirius is the superior song, though. And it looks like the Pistons have moved on from Final Countdown.
                  In this case, despite your bias, I would say you’re correct. I always liked the intro for Tayshaun Prince (It’s Palace Time for the Prince!). Also, Final Countdown is a great intro song.

And yes, they used it for the Bad Boys.
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Another underrated intro: the Ayo Technology intro from the Kevin Garnett Anything Is Possible Celtics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSY2jamUTYQ
                    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

This is trending on Twitter:
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

The Ken Burns-esque still photo pan of all of the Jazz fans as Jordan takes the last shot in the 98 Finals is a thing of beauty.

KDR

Comment

• NBA players are all sitting out tonight. There were rumors the Celtics and Raptors might do it tomorrow, but the Bucks didn't take the court for their game today against the Magic. OKC and Houston and Lakers and Portland all followed soon after.
                          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Good for them!
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• https://***********/cjzero/status/12...552235014?s=20

Powerful
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• No WNBA games tonight either...
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X